New to WHS 2011 and a partion disappeared

wra18th

[H]F Junkie
Hi all!

I installed WHS 2011 on a 500GB drive. After the install, what was left over of the drive became a separate partition. I also added a 2TB drive afterwards.

Well, the rest of the 500GB drive has disappeared. I'm at a loss as to what can be going on. I really don't know how to word this for a Google search. So I hope you guys can help me out as I'm a total n00b on this.:confused:

Yes it does. No drive letter and I don't see how to assign one.

My only options are 'Delete Partition' and 'Help'. All else is grayed out.

problem.png

Looks like its been taken over by the automated storage system

Does that space show up in the Dashboard user backup?.

Well looks like nothing is installed on Disk1 right ? Looks like the drive has been formated with another filesystem. Or, looks like you created a 60gb partition on the 2TB drive and installed the OS on that drive.

No, the install is on the 500GB drive. The install routine created the partition as it been described in numerous websites. I knew that would happen. How, they also said that the remainder of the drive would be assigned a drive letter as another partition. That too, happened. But that partition disappeared an few days latter. The 2TB drive is a secondary drive.

Are you sure it will fix it? I don't want to spend $$$ on something that won't work.

Am I sure, no.

Is it likely that disk director is going to see what kind of partition is actually there. Yes. It most likely will identify the current partition type and allow you to edit the partition at the hex level to change the partition ID if needed.

But lets make sure you need something like that first.... so

you may want to try something like this: http://findandmount.com/

You can let whs manage disks or you can add them yourself. Don't change the partitons manually unless you want to lose the whs data on them.

For the most part you have to reinstall whs, and lose existing data to change your disk scheme without the whs dashboard. More info and examples are at we got served.

All of my back ups and media are on the 2TB. I wont lose anything by wiping out the C: drive. I just started having a WHS box so I haven't amassed much yet.

Back