• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New to WC, need advice.

  • Thread starter Deleted member 134350
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 134350

Guest
Hello,

I am new (rookie) to water cooling and have been reading the threads and realize that there are ALOT of solutions out there. I am looking for a set-up whether it be a kit or pieces-parts around $150.00. Here is my current system:
Thanks...

Antec SLK3800B Mid Tower Case 400W
P4 640 3.2GHZ 800 FSB 2MB Cache Prescott LGA775
Asus P5WD2 motherboard
Corsair XMS 2x1GB PC2 5300 memory
ATI x1300Pro 256MB PCI Express video
Western Digital 320GB SE16 SATA II 16MB cache 7200 RPM Hard Drive
Western Digital 160GB EIDE 8 MB Cache 7200 RPM Hard Drive
 
Sorry, the CPU and the GPU and chipset down the road.
 
"The next question...big bore or small bore?"

Huh? I am a rookie and don't even know the right questions to ask.
 
For $158 i picked up the following: (piece by piece)

Danger Den D5 Pump
Apgogee Waterblock
Maze4 GPU Waterblock
Danger Den Black ICE Pro Single 120 Rad
RadBox
Antec Clear 120mm Fan
Danger Den Fillport
5.5 Feet of Danger Den Blue Tubing
Hose Clamps
12oz of Pentosin Blue Antifreeze



1stwatersetup0013ot.jpg

1stwatersetup0024to.jpg


My advise - go with a dual rad whatever you do.
 
malicious said:
For $158 i picked up the following: (piece by piece)

Danger Den D5 Pump
Apgogee Waterblock
Maze4 GPU Waterblock
Danger Den Black ICE Pro Single 120 Rad
RadBox
Antec Clear 120mm Fan
Danger Den Fillport
5.5 Feet of Danger Den Blue Tubing
Hose Clamps
12oz of Pentosin Blue Antifreeze



1stwatersetup0013ot.jpg

1stwatersetup0024to.jpg


My advise - go with a dual rad whatever you do.

This a big bore, high flow setup, but I agree that dual RADS are the way to go.
 
don't have to qoute the pics ...


anyway .. yea dual rads as in one dual length rad not 2 seperate rads..

mal
 
That is a nice looking set-up. Did you order the parts directly from Danger Den or do third parties sell them?

I looked on their web page and your pump looks different from the "Danger Den DD12V-D5 Pump", is this the same?

Do you have any pictures of the back showing the dual-radiators? Also is the tube on the right near the front of the case the fill tube?
 
where did you find all those partsm for that price? The pump alone costs 75 bucks, and it doesn't look like the one you pictured, I need proof.
 
His pump is stuffed into his hard drive cage. At first I thought it looked like an Eheim 1250, but it is indeed a DD D5.

One of the (IMHO) most underrated waterblocks out there is the D-Tek Whitewater. It outperforms the TDX and the old Swiftech blocks, not to mention the Apogee, and it's in the $30 price range. ( http://www.dtekcustoms.com )
For your GPU I would just get a Dangerden Maze4, better if you can pick up a used one.
 
malicious said:
For $158 i picked up the following: (piece by piece)

Danger Den D5 Pump
Apgogee Waterblock
Maze4 GPU Waterblock
Danger Den Black ICE Pro Single 120 Rad
RadBox
Antec Clear 120mm Fan
Danger Den Fillport
5.5 Feet of Danger Den Blue Tubing
Hose Clamps
12oz of Pentosin Blue Antifreeze



My advise - go with a dual rad whatever you do.

Wow! You scored big time (no pun intended). ;)

Dual rad is a good option and so is two separate 120's. However, I don't think you will need a 240 with your CPU and GPU though it would be good for future proofing in case you want to add more stuff down the line.
 
"I don't think you will need a 240 with your CPU and GPU though it would be good for future proofing in case you want to add more stuff down the line."

What is a 240? I do want to be able to add chipset cooling later.

Instead of nOObie, it should say DUMMY! :D
 
SiGfever said:
That is a nice looking set-up. Did you order the parts directly from Danger Den or do third parties sell them?

I looked on their web page and your pump looks different from the "Danger Den DD12V-D5 Pump", is this the same?

Do you have any pictures of the back showing the dual-radiators? Also is the tube on the right near the front of the case the fill tube?

1: all bought on [H]ardforum used ..
2: It's a D5 bolted inside the HDD cage .. don't make me prove it .. paid 60 shipped
4: I have a single rad thus my advise to go with a double length ... yes it's a fill tube using a DD fillport...




it doesn't look like the one you pictured, I need proof.

just trust me that it is .. i adjust the pot regularly
 
get the d5 and tdx bundle from dd and a fillport, tubing and a t fitting then the blocks for the chipset or video is like $30-40 then go to a junkyard and get a copper\brass heatercore and there's a radtator for $15
 
malicious said:
For $158 i picked up the following: (piece by piece)

Danger Den D5 Pump
Apgogee Waterblock
Maze4 GPU Waterblock
Danger Den Black ICE Pro Single 120 Rad
RadBox
Antec Clear 120mm Fan
Danger Den Fillport
5.5 Feet of Danger Den Blue Tubing
Hose Clamps
12oz of Pentosin Blue Antifreeze
That's a nice deal, good work there.
 
you are correct, my mistake, you did a very nice job hiding the pump, it makes it look beefy :)

Congrats man, I may justy be picking up my WC kit today is my truck doesn't overheat on the way there :)
 
essi1553 said:
you are correct, my mistake, you did a very nice job hiding the pump, it makes it look beefy :)

Congrats man, I may justy be picking up my WC kit today is my truck doesn't overheat on the way there :)

I think you need a storm block for your truck! :p
 
What do you think about this setup? All with 1/2" fittings. Also do I need to buy their tubing or can I get some at Home Depot?
Thanks...


1) TDX block w/copper top
1) CSP-Mag 12v pump
1) Blackice Pro Radiator
1) Fillport-Reservoir w/ Poly T

and I will add the Brassmaze4 GPU later.
 
SiGfever said:
What do you think about this setup? All with 1/2" fittings. Also do I need to buy their tubing or can I get some at Home Depot?
Thanks...


1) TDX block w/copper top
1) CSP-Mag 12v pump
1) Blackice Pro Radiator
1) Fillport-Reservoir w/ Poly T

and I will add the Brassmaze4 GPU later.


lucite tdx looks cooler and doesn't perform less
no idea on this pump
make sure you get the 2.120 .. trust me
fillport - ok

splurg and get the gpu block now.. putting it in the loop first is way easier than draining the loop later and changing the tube lengths etc...
 
oh and yea .. your best bet is some known good tubeing .. there's a guy w/ some extra tygon for sale in the fs forum..

mal
 
"make sure you get the 2.120 .. trust me"

What does that mean?

Pump listed:

CSP-MAG - Technical Specifications

* Nominal voltage: 12 VDC
* Nominal power: 8 W
* Maximum head: 2.3 M (3.3 PSI)
* Maximum flow: 540 l/hr (143 GPH)
* Connection size: 9/16” NPT
* Electrical connector: 3-pin (fan header style)
* Motor type: Brushless DC*
* Pump bearing type: Polished Sapphire
* Size: 2.1”W x 2.1”H x 1.75”D
* Weight: 241 g (8.5 oz)
* Warranty: 30 Months (2-1/2 Years)



Design Goal: The DD-CSP-MAG is designed to surpass the performance of the CSP-750 by providing an extremely long service life, without increasing the size. Various other features, requested by customers, were also incorporated.

* Extreme Service Life : This pump is designed with extreme service life (50,000 hours*) This was accomplished by employing several different design patent pending techniques.
* Bearings : The MAG features dual in fluid bearings, using the best material available, jewels. These bearings are made of highly polished Sapphire. This is an extremely hard and long lasting material, oftend found in expensive watches, high precision instruments, and gyroscopes used in the aerospace and military industries. The MAG is the first liquid cooling pump to utilize this technology.
* Reducing Forces : The MAG design utilizes two natural pump forces to reduce bearing / shaft loads. First a small amount of flow is diverted through and around the impeller between the motor rotor and stator. This allows boundary layer effect of the spinning rotor surface to help stabilize radial loads. This is similar to how the bearings in your automobile works. As an additional effect it keeps coil temperatures low allowing the motor to run at maximum efficiency. Magnetic forces developed between the very strong rare earth magnetic rotor ring, and the iron stator teeth allow the impeller to operate in magnetic suspension, which virtually eliminates thrusting loads.
* Leak Proof : The MAG has no shaft seal, eliminating the possibility of leaking occurring due to long term seal ware. The stator assembly has a plastic barrier between the rotor and the fluid operating on magnetic coupling. The drive and impeller housing is plastic, to reduce the chance of long term fouling.
* Brushless DC motor : The MAG features a brushless DC motor designed with an operational component life in excess of 50,000 hours. All heat generating components are thermal conductive bonded to the aluminium case. This provides a large heat sink area allowing the motor to run under constant high efficiency.

User Features:

* Small Size : The CSP-MAG dimensions are 2.1” x 2.1” x 1.75" when compared to a typical 110V pumps the CSP-MAG uses considerably less space, leaving room in your case for additional components . We still have the smallest pump currently available to the PC liquid cooling consumer.
* Configurable : The CSP-MAG features an easy to exchange impeller. This will allow us to provide different impellers for the various types of cooling blocks on the market. C-Systems is working closely with the cooling block manufactures to provide specific impellers for there products
* Direct RPM : The CSP-MAG features a hall sensor that directly reads the rotation of the impeller.The impeller RPM can be monitored using your standard fan mother board utilities via the fan port.
* Power Suppy : The MAG requires 12V DC and is equipped with a Tx3 connector.
* Ultra low noise : The CSP-MAG operates at a lower noise level the our CSP-750MKII due to the sealed motor compartment and improved pump housing
design.
* Easy Installation : Purchase the industrial velcro to mount anywhere in case.
* Flow Direction : The MAG features a side inlet and top outlet for flow direction. The pump is now available with 3/8" OD or 1/2" OD High Flow straight fitting.
* Ports : The MAG features a top outlet and side. The pump is now available with 9/16-18 straight fitting ports.
* Finish : The MAG features a new Delrin (Acetal) housing to ensure long term corrosion protection.

Multi-Unit : The small size and low power consumption of the MAG allows multi-unit installs. When liquid cooling graphic cards and/or chipsets and CPU’s, separate loops can be used to limit the amount the thermal load to the CPU. As an additional benefit the flow across the CPU will also increase (see user guides for more multi unit install information). The MAG units allows series flow configurations as well as parallel flow configurations.

Images:

Danger Den CSP-MAG RetailDanger Den CSP-MAG
 
Thanks I understand now. Do you think the D5 is worth the extra money?

The heater core make a lot of sense.
 
yea the heatcores really work well

i have the d5 and it rocks out with it's *ock out .. i paid 60 shiped for a slightly used one ..

very powerfull but large heat dump too ..

up to you .. some people like that other dd 12v pump with a modded top ..

check out xtreme systems forum under liquid cooling for a TON of plain english info ..
mal
 
Get a 2Fresh heatercore, he sells them in the FS/FT forum and they are very nicely prepared with barbs, plus the price is great.
 
I contacted 2Fresh about purchasing a rad. How easy is it to mount the two 120mm fans to it?
 
SiGfever said:
I contacted 2Fresh about purchasing a rad. How easy is it to mount the two 120mm fans to it?
I think he might also sell a shroud and hardware for doing that. If not, there is the Weapon shroud made for the core.
 
Is the Storm better than the TDX water block. It seems that the D5 is the way to go on the pump. Also the "brass" Maze4GPU is out of stock. Is it worth waiting for?
 
i don't like any of the koolance stuff but that's just me.. seems overpriced and under performed... i stick with DD & Swiftech - although there are other high performing manufacurers.. lol
 
How much Tygon 1/2" tubing is needed fot a typical rig, cpu, gpu and rad with fill-port?

Also, which thermal paste should I get from Danger Den?

Here is where I am at:

* TDX water block
Maze4GPU (is the Acetal version the one to go with since the brass one is out-of-stock, or should I wait for the brass model?)
* D5 pump
* 2Fresh Rad
Fill-port w/reservoir
Tygon 1/2" tubing
thanks,

JW
 
Tygon is generally over a dollar a foot. I don't know, because I never use the stuff. I either choose the Clearflex 60 (at about a buck a foot) or the Masterkleer 7/16' tubing. That masterkleer stuff is awesome because, on a metal 1/2' barb, you don't need clamps (trust me, you have to CUT the stuff to get it off). Best part about Masterkleer is that it's usually much less than a dollar a ft. (like 60c).

If you're going Tygon, I'd get 10ft to be safe (incase you ever need to re-do something). If you go with Masterkleer you can usually get 20ft for the same price, just to be sure.

The Acetal Maze 4 is, IMO, a better decision. The black top, to me, looks nice. I think the brass version is more expensive, but you don't really get an increase in performance for the cash. All your other blocks are well chosen, and they'll serve you quite fine.

The D5 pump is a great choice, I wouldn't ever use anything other than it. If you're talking about the fillport with the resevoir attached to it... I'd steer clear from that product. It's very well built and all, but that res doesn't help you after the system is totally bled. The coolant will just stay up there (unless you empty it somehow) growing algae and bacteria. Seriously, the water in the top of my T line is disgusting, and I generally clean it out at least once every 2 months.
 
Thewhiteguy is correct on that. It's super cheap, and what I'm using. It's more expensive for me w/ Shipping cuz I'm Canadian.
 
Which thermal paste do you recommend?

* Arctic Alumina
*Arctic Silver 5
*Ceramique
 
Back
Top