New to watercooling an need your input.

So ive been reading alot about watercooling lately an i think im ready to take the plunge. I recently picked up a

Watercool Heatkiller IV pro an was wondering if yall could help me out with the rest of the setup. I plan on cooling

my 4790k an a 1080 gpu. I can do up to a triple rad. I also have a few questions the heatkiller block i got is nickel

plated an i read your not suppose to mix metals do that mean that everything else needs to be nickel plated?

Next question is what is the best pump? noise an reliability wise? again any input is great if im doing this all

wrong please tell me an thank you in advance for all input!

Nickel is not reactive with copper, so you're ok there.
Go with a D5 PWM pump. Can't beat it. I don't feel it really matters who it comes from as they are generally made by two different OEMs and quality seems to be the same.

What case do you have? Will need that info for radiator sizing.

What video card do you have? What processor and motherboard? The block you bought is for cpu or gpu?

I'll put a parts list together for you when you fill in the blanks!
Welcome aboard, matey!

Yes the block i currently have is for the cpu, a intel 4790k. The GPU is a gtx 1080. As far as case its a open air bench but i wanting to go with or below a 3x120 size rad. Thanks for all your input!

What are the top quality brands when it comes to water cooling? And as far as res/punp combo or not it doesnt really matter what are the pros an cons?

EKWB is probably the most well known, along with Bitspower. You can't go wrong with either one. Both make excellent products. EK is made in Slovenia, Bitspower is made in China. Again though, both are fantastic brands with great products that are quality made and perform very well.

Combo vs separate is a matter of visual/asthetic preference. I personally prefer combo units. They're also easier to install, and more cost effectivr.

EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM (incl. pump) by EK Waterblocks (Black color)

Do you order straight from EK or is there somewhere stateside you order from?

Performance PC is the only authorized retailer stateside. Ive ordered from both them and EK. Go with them, as they are "local" in a sense.

I linked directly to them

EK, Bitspower, Primochill, Heatkiller, AquaComputer, Swiftech... those are the big brands. There are others I'm forgetting, I'm sure. Over all, read the reviews and you should be fine.

EK, Bitspower, Primochill, Heatkiller, AquaComputer, Swiftech... those are the big brands. There are others I'm forgetting, I'm sure. Over all, read the reviews and you should be fine.
Don't forget Alphacool/Phobya (German) is one of the major players. Also XSPC, Koolance, Monsoon. Heatkiller is actually a line of waterblocks (the company name is Watercool.)

I didn't include Koolance intentionally because it seems their quality is very hit or miss these days and they seem to have fallen out of favor with the community. Granted, I'm going on 5 or 6 year old info here, haven't been in "the scene" for a while.

I didn't include Koolance intentionally because it seems their quality is very hit or miss these days and they seem to have fallen out of favor with the community. Granted, I'm going on 5 or 6 year old info here, haven't been in "the scene" for a while.

I'm a fan of the nickel plated QDC's :)

Back