• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New to Water CoolingPlease HELP !!!

crazytek81

n00b
Joined
Feb 21, 2006
Messages
9
Hi I'm new to water cooling and i want to install watercooling in a microfly case with a AM2 4000+ and a Evga 7600GT on a Biostar MB . But I have no idea what parts to buy or how to insall it ? I've been checking other people WC Qpacks but Im not getting much. If someone could give me a run down on what parts i need to buy, how to install them, and why i need them that would really help
thanks
dominic
 
Well I don't know much either, but I hear you need some rubber bands, lubing, a Slurpee 44oz reservoir, a RangerTent funnel, a Heinz pump and a water rock.

With the rubber bands, you lash down your RangerTent funnel to your water rock, which sits over the CPU and acts as a heatsink. You squeeze the Heinz pump to grab some water from your reservoir and poor it down the funnel to keep your water rock cool! Oh and we all know what the lubing is for...

It's all pretty amazing the things you can learn in the waiting room for the ear doctor...
 
lol whata jerk :p

You pretty much are limited to a single 120mm radiator. Swiftech and Danger Den are the best blocks. Voyeurmods has a good example of a watercooled Qpack....check that out and copy it :) that is what i did!
 
IT WAS A JOKE!!! :(

I thought you said watercooling wasn't worth it, Steeve?

Well I'm looking at it now, even though I was discounting it in another posts. The mods I was going to have to do for air, would have been the same for watercooling, so why not...

You could actually get a 120mm rad on the inside if you used a Thermaltake Big 120mm and cut through the support bracket. It's the only 120mm rad that is narrow enough. With the covers on, the case would be sturdy enough without it. Not entirely convinced it is wise though, although I have already hacked through half of it. :)
 
I thought you said watercooling wasn't worth it, Steeve?
I actually have watercooling....I find it to be a pain to deal with if you change things out a lot and I often worry about it eventhough I shouldn't. Watercooing is really just about the cool factor :)

Nevertheless, I still provide help as I know a thing or two about it.

IT WAS A JOKE!!!
yeah I know! :cool:

I think watercooling might be a little bit quieter as well.
 
Now that i have figured out it works i get the joke . but i didnt get but now i do and it is actually kinda funny.I apolgise for the ketchup in your ass thing
 
The whole thing with me wanting to water cool it to OC well and keep as quiet as possible .... but you still use fans for the rads so is really that much more silent?
 
With watercooling from what I have read you can run undervolted fans as long as it's moving air away from the rads. The pump noise is the bigger worry. Raptors suck in thin, all aluminum cases if you are worried about noise, so right now I am not too overly concerned about which pump I choose.

What I'm planning on doing is dropping a dual 80mm rad in that space in front of the board and having it draw air from the bottom of the case. Looked at the idea a few times with the ARIA but it was not really viable. Saw some guy who had done the same thing and added 2 x Thermaltake ducts and that started me thinking again.

Looks like I am not the first to think of it though: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=995473

You could stash the pump on the bottom, which is what it looks like he is doing, or velcro/suspend it in that space on the left side of the drive cages. Another possible location would be sitting on the right side support bracket that I already carved out, with lines feeding directly to your CPU. Doh! :eek:

Thermochill has a 92mm rad that would fit snugly attached to the inside of that 120mm fan, with an adapter that could double as a shroud, but it's not available in the States and would cost $100+ to import.

Least hassle way of doing watercooling is what Steeve is suggesting. 120mm rad on the back, pump in the front, reservoir in the top 5 1/4 bay for easy refilling and then all the misc WCing stuff.
 
MassiveOverkill said:
Where I cut the HD support bracket to mount the rad. It was important to not completely remove this bracket as I've seen others do as it to make clearance for their air-cooled heat sinks. It weakens the structure considerably to do so.
Hah! That’s funny. Exactly the idea that I was kicking around.What did you use to make those nice cuts?

Well, I don’t think I had seen your WCd X-Qpack, so thanks for the ideas. Looks like alot of the things you did are similar to what I was thinking. How much did cutting out the fan grill weaken the back? Probably gonna do the same thing as it really improves airflow. What 120x38mm fan is that? Is it quiet? Heh, I was looking at that same reservoir… It’s either that or a 5 ¼ one for the cool factor of seeing it through the top plexi.

You are not kidding about that tubing… it looks like a b*tch if you ever had to tinker with anything. I think you made up my mind to go with 3/8.

Your CPU temps were probably just due to the single rad trying to cool both the CPU and GPU.
 
sleepeeg3 said:
Hah! That’s funny. Exactly the idea that I was kicking around.What did you use to make those nice cuts?

Well, I don’t think I had seen your WCd X-Qpack, so thanks for the ideas. Looks like alot of the things you did are similar to what I was thinking. How much did cutting out the fan grill weaken the back? Probably gonna do the same thing as it really improves airflow. What 120x38mm fan is that? Is it quiet? Heh, I was looking at that same reservoir… It’s either that or a 5 ¼ one for the cool factor of seeing it through the top plexi.

You are not kidding about that tubing… it looks like a b*tch if you ever had to tinker with anything. I think you made up my mind to go with 3/8.

Your CPU temps were probably just due to the single rad trying to cool both the CPU and GPU.

Cutting the fan grill didn't weaken the structure at all. You can replace it with a wire grill. I'm using a Panasonic I got from Performance-PC's.....it's the middle one, not the highest CFM one. You're right about my CPU temps, but I also think I have a bad heatspreader. I'm happy though, still a decent OC.
 
Steeeve, how dare you say that an sff is limited to a 120mm rad! I have a 120x2 rad with 2 120x38 fans! I still haven't' put my res inside my case though, too much of a pain for bleeding and filling.

BTW: I put the fans inside so it doesn't look as weird anymore, still got rediculous amounts of tubing though.
 
MassiveOverkill said:
Ahem, look at the link to my first one I watercooled.........Post made 7-24-2005 :p

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=931302

Got ya beat by a month.

Yeah MassiveOverkill I've seen your pics of a Job Well Done ! But I do have a question... is your Qpack fairly quiet compared to air cooled? im concerned about noise as this is box that is going to sit on an entertainment center in my livingroom next to my 32 in soyo lcd .... and the soyo brand lcd is pretty nice... it has picture-in-picture and looks great when i play my games
 
FooTemps said:
Steeeve, how dare you say that an sff is limited to a 120mm rad! I have a 120x2 rad with 2 120x38 fans! I still haven't' put my res inside my case though, too much of a pain for bleeding and filling.

BTW: I put the fans inside so it doesn't look as weird anymore, still got rediculous amounts of tubing though.

haha, good point....it is rather difficult though, is it not?
 
Steeeeve said:
haha, good point....it is rather difficult though, is it not?

It is rather difficult without a file and a dremel. (Good thing I have both of those!)

I say it's worth it if you do a good job planning. It just becomes a tight squeeze, but it isn't difficult to make a build with a dual rad.
 
Here's a couple pic's of mine.. I used a CSP-MAG pump, DD TDX cpu block, DD Maze4 chipset block, bay rez, and a BIX radiator. I used 1/2" tubing throughout. It was a helluva lot more quiet than the stock aircooling, and even more so when I went with an NvSilencer. I wanted to put a waterblock on the graphics card, but I never got around to doing it. Routing of the tubing would have been a LOT easier with 3/8" tubing instead.

DSC00001.jpg


DSC00003.jpg


DSC00006.jpg


DSC00007.jpg


DSC00008.jpg
 
Back
Top