New to Water Cooling

StangMan04

Limp Gawd
Looking to build a custom water loop and my friend who has experience plans to assist. Was just wondering what parts I should be looking at for my build and any suggestions. Mainly looking to water cool my CPU and GPU unless there is anything else worth cooling? I heard RAM was overkill.

Budget is around ~$500.

mATX motherboard (haven't purchased yet)
R9 280 3GB
Corsair 750D (haven't purchased yet)
660W Seasonic Modular PSU
2x4GB or 2x8GB RAM (haven't purchased yet)

Last edited:
Was just wondering what parts I should be looking at for my build and any suggestions.
Pump
Resevior
Radiator(s)
CPU Waterblock
GPU Waterblock (maybe... If you get it cheap.)
Fans
Tubing
Fittings
Water

Get these things to your liking and budget. You didn't state a budget, so it's impossible to suggest specific parts.

And, I suggest you NOT watercool that GPU.. it would be a lot of money for a mid-range card...

And buying second hand watercooling gear is okay, just make sure it's clean. And use PT Nuke in the water loop.

Pump
Resevior
Radiator(s)
CPU Waterblock
GPU Waterblock (maybe... If you get it cheap.)
Fans
Tubing
Fittings
Water

Get these things to your liking and budget. You didn't state a budget, so it's impossible to suggest specific parts.

And, I suggest you NOT watercool that GPU.. it would be a lot of money for a mid-range card...

And buying second hand watercooling gear is okay, just make sure it's clean. And use PT Nuke in the water loop.

Sorry, I will update my post with a budget. I plan to buy new parts if at all possible.

$500 is barely enough to cut it for a CPU + GPU loop. Though as stated, it's probably not worth it to watercool a 280. You're looking at ~$100 for a GPU block unless you can find one used.

Pump: $60-80. I recommend either the Laing D5 or DDC (aka MCP655 and 355/35X, PMP450 and PMP400, etc). I personally would lean towards the D5, as those have been rock solid in my experience, while my cousin has had a 355 fail.
Reservoir: $20-100. Depending on whether you're looking for bling or just functionality.
Radiator: $80-120. A 3x120 (360) radiator fits best in the roof of the 750D. I would recommend the Alphacool UT60.
CPU block: $60-80. Most perform reasonably close to each other. I would recommend the Swiftech Apogee XL block.
Fans: $5-20 per fan.
Tubing: ~$20 for 10 feet of tubing. I recommend the Primochill Advanced LRT tubing, either 3/8" ID 5/8" OD, or 1/2" ID 3/4" OD. The thicker walls help with bending radius (less kinking). There is no performance difference between larger and smaller tubing. Smaller will be easier to work with, larger might look better, depending on your preference.
Fittings: $2-10 per fitting. You need 2 per component, unless you get a component that has them built in (D5 has built in 1/2" barbs, DDC has built in 3/8" barbs) or you get a combined unit (most commonly pump + reservoir combination). Compression fittings are expensive, but typically look nicer. Barb fittings are inexpensive, but you would need to get hose clamps with those.
Water: $1 per gallon at your grocery store. Get distilled water.
Silver killcoil or PT Nuke: ~$5.

$500 is barely enough to cut it for a CPU + GPU loop. Though as stated, it's probably not worth it to watercool a 280. You're looking at ~$100 for a GPU block unless you can find one used.

Pump: $60-80. I recommend either the Laing D5 or DDC (aka MCP655 and 355/35X, PMP450 and PMP400, etc). I personally would lean towards the D5, as those have been rock solid in my experience, while my cousin has had a 355 fail.
Reservoir: $20-100. Depending on whether you're looking for bling or just functionality.
Radiator: $80-120. A 3x120 (360) radiator fits best in the roof of the 750D. I would recommend the Alphacool UT60.
CPU block: $60-80. Most perform reasonably close to each other. I would recommend the Swiftech Apogee XL block.
Fans: $5-20 per fan.
Tubing: ~$20 for 10 feet of tubing. I recommend the Primochill Advanced LRT tubing, either 3/8" ID 5/8" OD, or 1/2" ID 3/4" OD. The thicker walls help with bending radius (less kinking). There is no performance difference between larger and smaller tubing. Smaller will be easier to work with, larger might look better, depending on your preference.
Fittings: $2-10 per fitting. You need 2 per component, unless you get a component that has them built in (D5 has built in 1/2" barbs, DDC has built in 3/8" barbs) or you get a combined unit (most commonly pump + reservoir combination). Compression fittings are expensive, but typically look nicer. Barb fittings are inexpensive, but you would need to get hose clamps with those.
Water: $1 per gallon at your grocery store. Get distilled water.
Silver killcoil or PT Nuke: ~$5.

Thanks for the advice.

I would also add avoid XSPC and EK products, as they have a history of less than poor support.

I have a EK GPU block, works fine. No issue for about a year now. I think issues were back in the days when they were still new.

They had nickel plating issues in the past (and still occasionally do today). That's not the issue though. They blamed customers and retailers for their flawed process. And refused to honor any warranty.

I don't know how I could have made it more clear. I recommend avoiding them due to poor support. I said absolutely nothing about the products themselves. It's for this same reason that I recommend avoiding Asus.

With the help of a friend, I put together this water cooling build. Spent more than I would have liked :(

10736050_10154791169455078_1478747524_n.jpg

10743297_10154791171065078_1111499421_n.jpg

I don't see any fittings, did you make sure to get them? What about tubing? You also don't have PT Nuke or a silver killcoil.

Where did you find all that to buy? I am been looking for a good place for a EK waterblock...

I would go with swiftech, as I have had GREAT experiences with them throughout the years, but they are missing two things I really want/need. A clear top for the waterblock, and a leading performer in a high flow system. FWIW I think EK makes great stuff too, but their CS is just... non-existent.

Most of my fittings are part of the 90 degree bends. I have 4 regular fittings. I have 4 20'' tubes in that order. I was under the impression the fluid I chose has an additive in it.

Where did you find all that to buy? I am been looking for a good place for a EK waterblock...

I would go with swiftech, as I have had GREAT experiences with them throughout the years, but they are missing two things I really want/need. A clear top for the waterblock, and a leading performer in a high flow system. FWIW I think EK makes great stuff too, but their CS is just... non-existent.

I bought these parts from performance-pcs.com.

Back