New to VR. Trying to learn...

c3k

2[H]4U
I'm wondering how a VR headset gets output from my PC video card if it is a wireless connection or a usb-c wire? I'd think only a display port or hdmi connection would do that???

I'm going to use it for DCS flight sim gaming. So far, the Meta Quest 3 (soon to be released) seems to be in the lead.

If you've got any information or advice, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.

I'm wondering how a VR headset gets output from my PC video card if it is a wireless connection or a usb-c wire? I'd think only a display port or hdmi connection would do that???

I'm going to use it for DCS flight sim gaming. So far, the Meta Quest 3 (soon to be released) seems to be in the lead.

If you've got any information or advice, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.

Streaming. Your GPU encodes the image on a fly into a streamed video, which is then transferred into the VR headset either via USB-C or by wifi.

Quality is not as good as hdmi or displayport, there may be artifacts in extreme cases (flying between planets in No Mans Sky is a good stress test for this, the quickly flying debris and hyperspace lines makes the encoder go nuts) and the whole a encoding process takes some resources away from the GPU but if you can push the encoding bitrate high enough the image quality is perfectly acceptable.

But if PCVR is the thing you do 100% of the time and you do not care about standalone, I would probably look into headsets that do have a real DP or HDMI input. Reverb G2 is still a popular choice for simmers on a budget. Too bad it has those outdated fresnel lenses.

Reactions: c3k
like this
Probably wait for Q3 reviews. The lenses will probably make it a lot clearer and more comfortable than a G2.
This guy does really good VR sim videos https://youtube.com/@KarlGosling I'm sure he'll get something out as soon as he gets his hands on one.

like this
Pretty basic...but I just learned that "tethered" VR headsets are called "PCVR" vs. the "Standalone VR" headsets.

And...pancake lenses > Fresnel lenses.

Pretty basic...but I just learned that "tethered" VR headsets are called "PCVR" vs. the "Standalone VR" headsets.

And...pancake lenses > Fresnel lenses.
Tethered VR headsets are tethered headsets. But you can also have untethered PCVR headsets, like the Pico and Quest headsets. Those have wireless streaming options as well as cabled.

Standalone just runs the games on the SoC of the headset itself.

like this
Back