New to the whole HTPC area

PenPen

Weaksauce
I have always been interested in creating a DVR like thing, but never had the chance to until now. Since I built myself a new computer, I have my old spare one to use as a HTPC.
So I just have some basic questions.

1) Where would be a great n00b place to go research more about htpc besides the stickied topic?

2) Would I need to have a receiver in order for the whole thing to work?

3) I have Cable and the TV line cable goes straight to the TV. How would I go about connecting it both to the TV and the Tuner with only one?

I'm sure I'll have more n00b questions later on, but for now if anyone could help me I would appreciate it. :)

NOTE: I don't have a cable box or anything like that. Just basic cable. One wire that goes directly to the TV's Input Antenna thing.

I don't have cable, nor have I ever, but I'm assuming the cable line should just go into the TV tuner and then you go VGA or S-Video out from your video card to your TV to get it to display on your television.

Would that mean that everytime I just want to watch TV, I either have to remove it from the computer or just watch TV from the computer?

You can get cable splitters:

45557ss7.jpg

1) We don't know how much you know or don't know, but if you tell us what you want to do with it, we could probably answer your questions more satisfactorily. What do you want your HTPC to do?

2) No, you don't need a receiver, unless you've got a more serious speaker setup and several different video sources.

3) Get a cable splitter like l3nder mentioned. They're super cheap. One cable goes from the wall to the "in" side, one cable goes from the "out" side to the TV, and one cable goes from the "out" side to the tuner in your PC. Then you use your s-video or composite output from your video card to the TV. Or, if you have a HDTV, you can use one of several other output methods (VGA, DVI, HDMI, component, whatever both your computer and your TV support). To switch between the cable and your computer, use your remote to switch between the cable and Line In or Aux inputs.

Well I just basically want to have the whole record and watch function of the DVR. As of now I'm not really interested in building a media center yet.

Well I just basically want to have the whole record and watch function of the DVR. As of now I'm not really interested in building a media center yet.
Do you have a HDTV, or just a SDTV?

Back