New to SSDs

nitefallz

2[H]4U
I've been reading up on SSDs here and it looks like this one is what I want to get. I think the consensus here is it's a reliable, decently priced drive. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441

I plan to re-install Windows when I get this and leave it for the OS only, I'll move everything else to a larger SATA drive. Seems reasonable to me, but am I missing anything?

Personally, I'd look for a deal on a 120-128gb drive. The M4's are good drives, I've got a a couple I've installed at work, but I'd consider most any current SSD at this point. Just be prepared to update the firmware if needed, even the M4 isn't immune to this with their 5200 hour glitch.

Windows = Windows 7? If yes, then good.

Does your motherboard support AHCI and/or RAID? Just enable that before installing OS.

[LYL]Homer;1038351370 said:
Personally, I'd look for a deal on a 120-128gb drive. The M4's are good drives, I've got a a couple I've installed at work, but I'd consider most any current SSD at this point. Just be prepared to update the firmware if needed, even the M4 isn't immune to this with their 5200 hour glitch.

Windows = Windows 7? If yes, then good.

Does your motherboard support AHCI and/or RAID? Just enable that before installing OS.

Yes, Windows 7, and it does support AHCI.

Thanks for the advice!

Agree. Get 128 GB version. After format 128 really becomes 119. The 64 is just too small IMO.

I had a 64 GB SSD, and it was too small for Windows 7. Always filling up. 128 seems to be fine.

And remember with SSDs, it's not the throughput that speeds things up for the most part. It's the IOPS, which is what OSs love.

Back