New to SBS 08- Backups

TechieSooner

Supreme [H]ardness
How are you folks doing your backups?

My thought was getting some external hard drives and backing up daily to those, and having a manager take them home every day.

However since I'm not controlling the physical access to the hard drives at his house- encryption is the first thing that comes to mind.

Any suggestions? SBS 08 backup looks like it'll work, but it is not encrypted. Mounting a TrueCrypt volume or something will be too much trouble for someone to screw with each day I think. I want something all they have to do is swap the drives out without logging onto the server.

I've been holding off sbs08 for the longest......as of this summer and even last fall, new SBS installs were still 03.

Finally doing SBS08..server just arrived a few days ago, Dell T610, quad core, 5x 15k SAS drives, 12 gigs of RAM.

Second one coming in another week.

I'm going to do external WD Passport USB drives for native SBS backups, I'll do those quarterly or after major changes. Going to do daily backups via online.

TrueCrypt isn't bad to do manually, I do that at another client to take an external passport drive offsite a few days a week.

Another alternative...give BackupAssist a shot. Inexpensive. And it adds support to backup devices that we're used to, that SBS08 backup dropped.

Online backups are nice, except for having to restore them. With a HDD I can drive and get the hard drive from the person's house if I have to. IE, I want a local copy. And the hybrid (IE, a local storage server that backs up remotely) is too pricey at this point.

I may have to go look at TC's forums and see if I could command-line script it.
IE, mount the drive, start the backup, unmount the drive. If I could do that, it'd be great. I am just not sure how flexible the SBS 08 backup is.

Yeah I agree with that..or used to all the time. But these days...with most clients on 20 meg pipes now, and faster....it's not as bad. And the offsite backup software we're using now is danged fast.

For clients that would demand immediate restoration of servers, they have to cough up the cabbage for a NAS or something to keep full server drive images on.
For the smaller typical SBS client however, this is the direction I'm leaning towards.

Yeah I agree with that..or used to all the time. But these days...with most clients on 20 meg pipes now, and faster....it's not as bad. And the offsite backup software we're using now is danged fast.

Yea this is on a WISP... Trying to keep data flow through the internet to a minimum.

Ooo...ouch, 2 megs at the most?

Checkout that Backup Assist....it fills the gap where SBS08 backup cut us off. Support of backup hardware that we loved with SBS03, like the RD1000/tandy removable drives.
Backup Assist is pretty cheap too, 250 bucks.

Online backup through Intronis.

Compress the fuck out of data. I am a reseller come talk to me =)

On Mozy pro had a client using 25GB - Exchange, and Data. Put him onto Intronis, using 10GB now =)

Very fast. Fast uploads, Fast Downloads, also can do a local vault.

New client I picked up who is very concerned about data. 3 backups - yup 3.

Backup 1 - Raid 1 USB WD My Book 1TB Edition - SBS 08 Backup
Backup 2 - Raid 1 USB WD My Book 1TB Edition - SyncBack Pro for raw files
Backup 3 - Lacie Rugged 500GB External x 2 - Paragon System Image - daily rotations.

Also Backup Assist looks good as well, Mailbox support.

I think if your client can manage to unplug a drive daily, grab those Lacie Rugged drives.

Ooo...ouch, 2 megs at the most?
Like T1 speed at best... Talking to the ISP to see what my options are for getting it boosted.
That's not the killer though, the 400kbps upload is the killer. That's why I want to stay away from online backups, the initial backup would take for freaking EVER. Much less the fact if someone emails a couple 5MB files around, I mean... BAM that's 10MB instantly going into the nightly backup that's got to get uploaded at 400kbps.

Also Backup Assist looks good as well, Mailbox support.

I think if your client can manage to unplug a drive daily, grab those Lacie Rugged drives.

Where's the best place ($$) to get the Lacie drives? They look pretty good. It really won't be much of a big deal though, my main thing will obviously be to get someone there in the habit of rotating them every day. (I really don't trust someone non-IT to know how to mount/unmount stuff... trying to find the easiest way to do this).

Back