New to multi-display computing, software list/advice needed!

Jellylesg

2[H]4U
So I just dug out an old monitor I was lending my little brother and hooked it up for some powerputing, but because I've never had cause to pay attention to multi-display software before I'm stuck as to what to use.

Googling only comes up with results for triplehead or similar since I don't know any names and am just searching "multi-display software", so if anyone was able to tell me of any good software for managing windows across multiple displays that would be superb. I already use WinSplit revolution and love it, but am looking more for advice on how to set this stuff up to show the taskbar on the second monitor - if possible - and adjust the overlap areas so I don't accidentally stray onto my desktop when playing games and similar.

Last edited:
Ultramon-For the second taskbar, and a button up top to make something snap to a second monitor.

Display Fusion-For background images to span both monitors.

Also, on my computer it if hit control + Alt + left (or right), the window snaps to the other monitor. I use that feature all the time. I think display fusion is what is giving me that functionally, but I could be wrong.

And assuming your monitors are vesa compatible (and your desk will accept it), get a dual monitor stand. Best 50 bucks I spent on my computer.

This is the model I have (as do many many other people on this site:)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dual-Two-LCD-Mo...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0830d7ab

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, that was what I was after. I'd always heard the names but never paid enough attention to remember them.

One thing I was going to ask if such a thing exists is some way to stop things minimizing when I click on the second monitor. For some reason games run in windowed mode behave themselves and stay the same size if I click over, but a fullscreened TV stream or movie played in VLC or whatever will restore itself to its original size. Is there any way to work around this?

what OS?

in windows 7 Ultimate X64 I watch videos in VLC all the times on my main monitor(heck i'm doing that now), while doing web browsing on my 2nd monitor.....without anything special other than standard graphics drivers......I dont think I had an issue in Win XP x86 either though...

In vista x64. Was considering going back to 7 though. I know you can maximise the window and allow it to keep playing, but embedded flash video returns to its original size once you click out. Just wondered i there was a way of getting to computer to treat the two displays as separate desktops, if that makes any sense.

http://lifehacker.com/5560912/keep-flash-101-in-full-screen-on-a-second-monitor

not sure if that lifehacker link will work.....shows a workaround to get flash video to stay full screen when doing work on another monitor (its been sitting in my tabs for a few weeks, or atleast a varient of it, since ive been meaning to do it...)

maybe thats what your looking for

I tried that and couldn't get it to work, but I did manage to get the desired results.

Assuming you have version 10.1.53.64 Adobe flash installed. (Most current)

Take a hex editor.

Find the address 180A15 its currently 74, change it to 90.
Find the address 189A16 its currently 39, change it to 90.

It should work now.
If you have an older version of Adobe flash, you can still fix it (but you need to find out what address to change), I would update now anyway, since once you fix it, you don't want to update it unless you half to, since you have to patch it on your own each time.

Thanks. I've been trying to update but getting an error from the Adobe downloader, unfortunately.

I like DisplayFusion better then UltraMon. Much better support/faster updates. Use to have odd retarded bugs with ultra.

Use to be die hard Ultramon user until I discovered DisplayFusion. :c)

Back