New to MMORPGs

Mortagen

Weaksauce
Hey guys,

I was recently watching an episode of southpark called "Make love not warcraft" from the tenth series and was intrigued by the whole MMORPG thing and wanted to give it a go. So i did some googling and got so many results and didn't know what to do or where to start or what the difference was between any of the games i found were.

I'm not sure if that world of warcraft game is the one for me... and paying to play it sounds ridiculous really... can anyone recommend me a good MMORPG? or point me in the right direction to find one that suits me?

I don't have the greatest computer in the world so if you think the game might be a bit heavy on my aging rig, let me know and ill post my specs! :)

Thanks alot in advanced!

Regards, Mortagen

Really depends on what you prefer.

If you want knights/wizards spellcasting kind of stuff, probably World of Warcraft or wait for Age of Conan. I don't play those MMOs, so I really can't tell you.

I've fallen in love with EVE:Online. It's a spaceship MMO. We have a [H]ard Corp setup. The learning curve is very steep, but once you get into it, it's probably one of the biggest and most expansive MMOs out there. They have a Classic Client that runs well on older machines or a new Premium Client for DX10 and HDR and all those shiny graphics.

http://www.eve-online.com for more info

I guess i'm going to have to start paying for WoW then... :(?

Thanks... Mortagen

I guess i'm going to have to start paying for WoW then... :(?

Thanks... Mortagen

There are free/two week invites out there- you may want to check the freebie section, or even check the official site. I'm not sure what they have but it's not hard to get ahold of a free pass.

Outside of that you could try some of the "free" mmo's out there. I'll save you the trouble though and summarize them all: they suck. They save the good items for people who pay money for them, and the graphics and gameplay just aren't there.

Give WoW or Vanguard or EVE or even Guildwars a try.

the majority of MMOs are P2P or pay 2 play, as this is the lifeblood of the game. Developers use the montly fee to keep the servers running, and to provide a constant stream of updates with new content and patches.

If you look at Free 2 Play MMOs the updates are far and few between and usually the quality is much lower. Most of these are also of Korean make, which means they are Grindfests since the Koreans enjoy this for some reason.

You might want to give Lord of the Rings Online a try, its a bit more newb friendly, and it has a strong story line to carry interest.

why dont you go to fileplanet.com's free mmo club page and check out all the free mmos there to see what you get into and then go from there.

I personally like Guild Wars, however it is all instanced so you cannot just roam around the huge world meeting random people. But as it is instanced its free to play, just buy the game. Silk Road online is fun and free to download, and use and is not instanced which makes it pretty fun.

I played WoW for the first time at a friends bday party Saturday, it was neat and all but its not really for me.

WoW was one of the funnest games I have played... man I wasted tons of time playing that game. Played it for a good year or so. Just got out of it recently... sold my account for ~$600 so I made back what I put into it and a little extra :D. I figured selling it was the only way to quit haha. But if you play an MMORPG, I would say play WoW it is a blast.. just watch out it is addictive. Also please dont play as a lock.. they are the noob class. Go Warrior!!! hahaha

Buy Guild Wars Prophecies. Go from there. If you liked it, go to the next chapter. If you didn't like it, sell your sole to a pay 2 play game like WOW. Your destiny rides on it. Seriously though, check out Guild Wars. If I still had the time I would be playing one of the GW chapters. I can't even imagine playing a pay to play mmorpg.

Wow, thanks for all the replies!

Now i have even more games to checkout! :D

Oh by the way, is that runescape game any good? i have a friend who has been playing it for years.

Thanks!

Regards, Mortagen

i played the first two chapters of guild wars and thoroughly enjoyed them. then i gave WoW a shot and it was by far the best MMO experience i have ever had. however, i quit once i realized how much time i was wasting with the game, hahaha. seriously though, i'd give the WoW free trail a shot and go from there.

Another vote for EVE online. IMO it's the best game on any platform, hands down. Especially if you can get into an aggressive and knowledgeable PVP corp. My previous gaming life only touched competitive FPS games, now the only game I ever fire up is EVE.

Other MMO's pale in comparison to its complexity, tactical play, and sheer heart pounding adrenaline filled combat.

Yeah, I'm hooked :D

Navy Field
www.navyfield.com

free to play, but you can pay to get a better exp gain percentage.

Give this a read http://www.subsim.com/ssr/navy_field/review_navy_field.php

Absolutely kickass game.

random SS from google
NF2_026-large.jpg

check out some gameplay videos on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrHY3lFGk4s

Im sorry, but I have bene playing this for years and I love it. Crysis, COD4, orange box...they all get a fraction of the playtime that NF does from me.

game has piles of depth, sailor classes, stats, tonnes of ships, etc.
Everything from frigates, destroyers, cruisers, battleships, carriers, you name it.
Start as a frigate and work your way up. Takes time though. To get from a frigate to a cruiser may only take a day or two, but to get to the max lvl BB5 can take 6-16 months and more.

I recommend going with a free MMO first, that way you don't feel bad for wasting $ on some crap you don't like.

Personally MMO's don't keep my interest very long.

I find all the MMO's are wizard/elf RPGs...and I dont mean to offend anyone, but I lack the estrogen to play those things. Hence, I play Navy Field.

I find all the MMO's are wizard/elf RPGs...and I dont mean to offend anyone, but I lack the estrogen to play those things. Hence, I play Navy Field.

Except for EVE: Online. A cold, harsh world filled with spaceships. Takes balls to stick it out a few months and deal with all the losses.

I try a free mmo first to see if you like it. Most free mmo's blow in comparison to a pay mmo. I played swg till it got ruined. Then I started WoW. WoW is a blast but it is addicting. I had guild wars for about 2 days but it blew hard in comparison to WoW. I don't know what I didn't like about it, but it just sucked in general. I had 4 friends buy the guild wars and they all share the same experience as me: played for a little bit and then stopped playing because the game blew.

i went to fileplanet and looked at the free mmo and fury looks pretty sweet, anyone played it?

if you are unsure of a MMO that is pay to play type game. there are tons of private servers with xp bonus rates that allow you to level REALLY fast. so you can get an idea of the game thats even better imo than the trials the mmo gives you once you purchase it.

WoW is i think currently rank 2 on subscriptions. first place is still Lineage 2. though i havn't checked that info for awhile now.

if you are unsure of a MMO that is pay to play type game. there are tons of private servers with xp bonus rates that allow you to level REALLY fast. so you can get an idea of the game thats even better imo than the trials the mmo gives you once you purchase it.

WoW is i think currently rank 2 on subscriptions. first place is still Lineage 2. though i havn't checked that info for awhile now.
I seriously doubt Lineage 2 has over 9 million subscriptions.

@the OP - Just get wow, its really user friendly, a great intro into the whole genre, and get this - its fun.

What about Silk Road Online? I heard that game was alright.

What about Silk Road Online? I heard that game was alright.

Never, I played it for 6 months and realized how much time I wasted with this game. It was too late but after I got to level 60 I realized how big the grind was and that there's nothing to do end game. It's solo grinding most of the time. Pvp is a joke and so are the quests. Avoid at all costs.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the replies! i checked out all the games listed and they all looked really great! but i couldn't decide on one... so i went down to EB games and bought a game called Darwinia.

I havent had a chance to take it home yet, can anyone tell me what it is like and if it is any good? i got it for $5 in a bargain bin... looked cool so i grabbed it!

Thanks!

Regards, Mortagen

AFAIK, Darwina is a RTS/ Action game not an MMORPG.

Hope you like the game! :)

Just get WoW. Incredibly easy to get into, incredibly addicting, and the endgame is fun (doesn't take too long to get there, either..).

Just don't roll Alliance. Horde ftw..

I really like LOTRO, but to really appricate it's beuty, have to have a nice rig. It is monthly, but you can get 7 day trial free.
www.lotro.com

EQ2 has gotten a lot better also, and still has the 14 day trial also if i'm not mistaken. Tried it when it came out, but didn't have the time to put into it. Just gotten back into it, and it's ALOT more streamlined and polished than just a few years ago.
I second (Third? Fourth?) EvE, fantastic game but as i never got the chance to get into a corporation, i didn't get too far into the grouping aspect of that game. But did solo 3-4 months with it.
WoW is a great game i like to play, and is fun till you hit the level cap and even after, but unless you find a good guild, it can drag from there unless you just play casually like i do. (Hard to get the best stuff without a guild imho...:D)
City of heroes is a good comic/superhero type mmo with great character customization, (which i wish other mmo's had the equivalent of) but the end game was lacking to me. (May have changed but i doubt it) It's a fun game tho to play casually with friends.
Pirates of the burning seas is coming out, but as it's in open beta atm, and unpolished, may be better to wait to see what the general reaction is once it's out for a few months. (Not many pirate based mmo's out there still, so may want to check up on it if you like that genre.
Sword of the new world mmo has good reviews and seems to be a pirate/fantasy mix, but it's more like a final fantasy type mmo imho.
LoTRO is a good one also, and is getting better with each update.
Anyhow, TONS of new mmo's out there and more are coming out in the new few months or so. (Conan, warhammer(?), ect)

I find there are two kinds of MMOs these days:

1. Static - predetermined, dungeon oriented gameplay. Instances and quests. More relaxing. you're basically progressing through levels or stories. (e.g. world of warcraft, final fantasy online, guild wars)

2. Dynamic - people oriented, often dense with ego and escalation. You need to put the effort into getting people together and creating goals to have fun. (e.g. eve, shattered galaxies, uo)

Depending on the game they do share features of the other type, but generally what you're playing for is one of the two scenarios. Pre-built fun, or all-the-tools-to-build-it fun. XD Offline parallels could be something like super mario bros versus sim city. You could also say linear versus non-linear story.

Have you guys tried eXteel from NCSoft? I've been playing a lot of it recently, definetly not your typical MMO... btw it's free to play, no monthly subscription. There are some items in game that require you to purchase NCcoins, hehe... reminds me of the old arcarde games.

So far I've played WOW and LOTRO and both are good games, personally I give the nod to LOTRO as the better game but as a Tolkien Fan I'm Biased :) Turbine has done a great job with the license IMHO.

i went to fileplanet and looked at the free mmo and fury looks pretty sweet, anyone played it?

im not big on pvp but it did look sweet. beautiful graphics but it got a low end rating of like 4-5 out of 10...it costs 30 bucks then its free to play like guild wars..

lotro is horrible in my opinion it doesnt even feel like an mmo for some reason...wow is good to start and final fantasy is good for experienced

I find there are two kinds of MMOs these days:

1. Static - predetermined, dungeon oriented gameplay. Instances and quests. More relaxing. you're basically progressing through levels or stories. (e.g. world of warcraft, final fantasy online, guild wars)

2. Dynamic - people oriented, often dense with ego and escalation. You need to put the effort into getting people together and creating goals to have fun. (e.g. eve, shattered galaxies, uo)

Depending on the game they do share features of the other type, but generally what you're playing for is one of the two scenarios. Pre-built fun, or all-the-tools-to-build-it fun. XD Offline parallels could be something like super mario bros versus sim city. You could also say linear versus non-linear story.

This is generally referred to as a sandbox game. It's great in concept, but tends to fail to execute well simply because it's just something that's really hard to develop. Conversely, traditional MMOs are easier to execute well, but the concepts are more limited.

The definitive sandbox title would be Second Life. The definitive traditional MMO would be WoW. EVE Online would also rate highly on the sandbox meter. It's one of the very few MMOs with a laissez faire economy, which in itself is reason enough to check out the game. For ease of learning and flexibility in gameplay and schedule, I'd vote for WoW though. If you're not an achievement whore or perfectionist, it's the absolute most casual-friendly MMO out there.

After playing world of warcraft an average of 30 hours a week for two years, let me tell you, DON'T DO IT. If you haven't started yet there is still hope. It's addicting and it can take over your life. (150 days played in 2 years)

You do pay $15 a month but you actually save money by not buying brand-new games all the time. Trust me, I've spent $150 in the last 5 months buying new games after I quit wow.

There's nothing like having your wife pissed at you cause you wont' come to dinner cause you are stuck in a dungeon and you are almost finished... then you die and you are still stuck and it takes another 30 minutes to finish. WoW is a great game, if you want it to take over your life.

Back