New (to me) Monitor Makes Popping Noises

fn9

Weaksauce
I've owned a few dell monitors: a U2711, a 2407wfp, and now a 3007wfp, and this most recent monitor is the only one that has ever made loud popping/snapping sounds. The best way I could describe the sound would be if one were to flick the plastic casing hard with their finger nail. It's loud and it seems to happen every time I use the monitor - sometimes every 20min, sometimes once an hour.

I paid good money for this monitor recently and I'm not really happy about this. Also, it's only happened 2 or 3 times in the past few weeks, but I swear the screen flashed white just really quickly. And one time the image on the screen seemed to shift upward a few inches, really quickly, then go back. Both of these rare occurrences happened while I was doing something like web browsing or doing word processing. My machine is well spec'd (i5, msi 560, etc), the hardware has never been a problem.

I'm curious to see what others think.

Last edited:
I have an LG that pops after it's turned on and off. Eventually the bezel cracked. No big deal.

The second set of problems is more concerning.

My westinghouse 22W2 makes a popping noise. It's done it since I bought it 4 years ago. Works fine.

I think a lot of electronics do this in general. I'm pretty sure my Dell 2711 did that, and I know my PS3 snaps and pops like mad when you're first turning it on. As mentioned, it's likely just the plastic and metal casing expanding / contracting due to the heat.

Today some horizontal white lines flashed really briefly in the upper left quadrant of the screen. This is very concerning as this monitor has no warranty. Too much of a gamble for me I think, I have the option of returning it and I'm probably going to.

Back