new to mac: go for MBP or MB or wait for conference?

shiek

Limp Gawd
Hello!

Im completely new to apple, and i want to start dabbling in its supposed superiority :)

I was considering a MBP since its new specs are fantastic, however, mobility is a high priority, so a beefed up MB is what im leaning more towards.

Coming from a developer background (and just overall windows power user) should i go ahead an buy the 13"MB or wait till the end of this week when maybe a smaller MBP might be announced at the apple conference (and hence, my "mobility requirement" may be met)

what do you guys think? MB or wait till end of conference? im itching to buy. thanks all.

They both got updated within the last month - WWDC will be for other stuff (iMac, iPhone, etc.).

I would definitely say and go for the MBP. I bought the 13" Black Macbook which is the best one you can get and after 2 days I regretted not getting the Pro. Since they updated the specs it gave me all the reason to do the exchange.

I too hate big laptops and think the whole reason in getting one should be their mobility, but let me tell you they are THIN! Even being a 15" widescreen they are indeed very mobile. Not to mention you get a higher resolution.

Even if they announce a 13" MBP at WWDC it might be another 5-6 months before you see it. If you can wait that long then go for it. I will probably end up selling mine if the 13" is released...

If any new hardware gets announced at WWDC, it will be during Steve's keynote, which starts tomorrow at 1pm EST.

That said, I doubt that the MBs will be updated given that they just got an update just under a month ago (albeit a very minor one).

i just got my MBP last night, and I'm loving it. Was going to go with a Black MacBook but I decided to splurge. So far I think I made the right choice. I doubt they'll do anything with the MacBook Pros seeing as they just got the CPU and screen and video changes. I don't see much changing spec wise until 10.5 comes out, and even then I doubt it will be too major.

im going to skip this gen of MBP personally.

i have a c2d with an x1600 MBP already. I think ill wait for a case redesign, WHICH HAS to be eventually. they cant keep using the old powerbook scheme can they?

not much of an upgrade for me anyways to go to a new MBP>

if anyone wants a mac, and cant decided mb/mbp, splurge, get the pro and dont LOOK BACK

It's a sweet update IMO, but more for those who are still using PowerBooks or possibly CoreDuos. I too have a C2D 15", and while I really like some of the new features (LED backlight is sounding great), even if I could afford the upgrade I wouldn't go for it, too much money for a fairly incremental (although cool) update.

I agree on the case issue. Pretty much all the Mac hardware designs are getting long in the tooth:
iMac - August 2004
G5/Mac Pro - June 2003 (to be fair the innards were overhauled nicely for the Mac Pro, but we all know we care more about the purty outsides :p )
AlBook/MBP - January 2003
Mini - January 2005
The MacBook has had the most significant change, and even that isn't a huge departure from the G4 iBook, which was October 2003.

I suppose Johnny Ive's been busy making the iPhone all shiny, but hopefully he's been scheming away cooking up a new look for some/all of the Mac line. It's a testament to his designs that they still look gorgeous and better than anything else after 2.5-4+ years, but I find it hard to believe that Apple would just sit twiddling their thumbs.

Personally what I'd like to see most is a totally new iMac. I'd probably never buy one, but they've always done some really cool and new things with it (iLamp anyone?).

im going to skip this gen of MBP personally.

i have a c2d with an x1600 MBP already. I think ill wait for a case redesign, WHICH HAS to be eventually. they cant keep using the old powerbook scheme can they?

not much of an upgrade for me anyways to go to a new MBP>

if anyone wants a mac, and cant decided mb/mbp, splurge, get the pro and dont LOOK BACK

i agree with everything you said.

but yeah, i once had to go through the task of deciding between a MB and MBP... so glad I went with the pro.

Back