New to Linux w\ATI X800GTO....needs help

Pagan Wizard

2[H]4U
See my sig for system details. I just installed PCLinuxOS on a USB HDD. In WinXP (IDE HDD), everything works flawlessly, but I cannot get drivers to work for my video card in Linux. For now, I am stuck with 800 X 600. I should also add that this is my first time trying Linux, and I know nothing about it.

there should be a driver in their repositories,
search for it with your package manager,,

if not, get it from the ati site and follow the directions on how to install it

I tried the driver from AMD/ATI's web site, and got an error message when I tried to run the driver.

Ok first of all, what distro are you using?

Here is a quite nice wiki for driver installation with ATI cards under various Linux distros. I have Ubuntu, chose it from the green box at right and followed the guide. Driver installation was a breeze and my old 9600XT is even running Beryl at the moment :D

Hope this helps.

Ok never heard that distro before, but then again Iam a total n00b with Linux anyways. If that distro is not working for you highly recomend you try Ubuntu Edgy 6.10. It seems to be the hot distro at the moment and very easy to use!

Ok never heard that distro before, but then again Iam a total n00b with Linux anyways. If that distro is not working for you highly recomend you try Ubuntu Edgy 6.10. It seems to be the hot distro at the moment and very easy to use!

Back to square one......I can't get ubuntu to load onto an external USB 2.0 HDD :rolleyes:

Back