New to Linux - programs recommendation needed

Allos

Limp Gawd
Hi folks,

I have just installed Ubuntu 7.10 on a very old Dell machine (P4 1.8GHz/ 768M RAM). So far I like it a lot. It seems like the system is more responsive than XP. Also, Ubuntu seems to be more easier to use than the last time I tried it (a year ago, lasted for 2 days ;P). Hopefully, this time Ubuntu is here to stay.

I am happy with OpenOffice and Gimp. I actually use these two programs quite often in Windows. Can you guys give me some suggestion on open source project management (like MS Project) and calender/ organizer program? I have downloaded "Project Management" and "KOrganizer". Are they good?

I plan to familiarize myself with Ubuntu and get a new eeepc by June when it is "Atomized". I am hoping to use eeepc during trips and desktop when in office, and use synchronized data on OpenOffice/ project management/ calender programs.

I do not need very sophisticated programs. Most of my works require basic documentation (like meeting recap/ simple spreadsheet)/ basic project management (who does what and finish by when)/ calender program (to remind me upkeeping meetings)/ and a basic phone book to store my client #'s. Nothing fancy would be required.

Also, can you guys advise some good informative website to learn some Linux basics? Thanks!

sourceforge.net is a good site for finding free and open source software and projects.

linuxsurvival.com is a good site for a very basic introduction to the command line (believe me, if you haven't already you WILL need to resort to the command line interface to configure/install/fix something).

The Linux Documentation Project
- Great site for How-to manuals in Linux.

There are some other good places to to get help. [H]ardForum has their own Linux/Unix subforum under Operating Systems. Linuxquestions.org and the Ubuntu forums are great help forums, too.

Lastly, Google will be YOUR BESTEST FRIEND EVER when it comes to running into difficult projects. That and the man pages (type 'man man' in the command line for example ;)).

EDIT: OH, and take some time to learn about the vim text editor, what I would call the Swiss Army Knife of text editors. It may have a slightly steep learning curve at first but once you learn even the basics of vim (using vimtutor would be a great start), you'll be able to edit/write text files faster than with an ordinary text editor

MY LAST EDIT, I PROMISE: mplayer is a great media player, too. You can play nearly anything (with proper codecs of course), run it in the command line or in a GUI (you can play movies on the command line, even in ASCII text -- oh and gmplayer would be the graphical user interface for mplayer BTW), and use it to re-encode audio and video files (mencoder is the command I think)

Can you guys give me some suggestion on open source project management (like MS Project) and calender/ organizer program? I have downloaded "Project Management" and "KOrganizer". Are they good?
They are OK but...
OpenGantt is very good (compatable with MS-Project files...)
SunBird is good for calender. But if you are using Ubuntu you prob have Evolution setup, this has a built-in calender (click on the clock to open up a mini-view). The SVN build of evo has links to google-calender as well
I plan to familiarize myself with Ubuntu and get a new eeepc by June when it is "Atomized". I am hoping to use eeepc during trips and desktop when in office, and use synchronized data on OpenOffice/ project management/ calender programs.
There is a special Ubuntu build for the eeepc to simplify the install and comes with all the drivers: eeeXununtu

Thank you very much!!!

Have not used a command prompt since my DOS days. I tried to installed "Openproj" last night. After I downloaded it, I extracted the file to Desktop using the GUI. Then I pressed "Alt-F2". I tried to go to "desktop" but failed to. Finally I managed to get to "Desktop" directory :p. Then I wanted to see the list of the directory ... I tried "list".. "dir".. and gave up finally.

Guess I need to do some serious readings. However, I also feel what I felt 2X years ago when I picked up that book and learned BASIC command by command ;p.

Thanks again for your help guys!

mmm now this does look good. OpenGantt has its issues. (will install the windows version tomorrow at work)

anyway, don't bother with all that command-line stuff ;) (Linux has come a long way)

download the *.deb file (Ubuntu is debian-based) and double-click on it

Back