new to java

chrusher97

Limp Gawd
hi im taking a java course at school and im trying to get it set up on my home computer too.

what are the best programs i should use, like compilers and text editors. Im looking for something pretty simple.

At my school we use gvim6.2 to make the .java files and compile with the official compiler i think ( you type javac hello.java then java hello).

are these progrtams good or are there better things to use?

thanks

a lot of people use eclipse.....that's what i've used for school but at my internship at a fortune 500 i will be using websphere...

ok thanks a lot. I am dling netbeans now, i got eclipse but when i tried to run it it says "startup error read log" but there is no log..

and uh, do these come wiith the libraries and stuff, like at my school we type

import java.util.*;

do they still have that stuff in these programs?

chrusher97 said:
ok thanks a lot. I am dling netbeans now, i got eclipse but when i tried to run it it says "startup error read log" but there is no log..

and uh, do these come wiith the libraries and stuff, like at my school we type

import java.util.*;

do they still have that stuff in these programs?

You need Java installed from java.sun.com (unless you want to install a third party variant of Java) for this stuff to actually compile and such. Get the latest release of J2SE

http://java.sun.com/j2se/index.jsp

For an IDE, I use Eclipse too, it is amazing (and I don't even use it for Java programming, it has plugins for a bunch of other languages). I have never received this startup error though.

ah wtf nothign works right now

eclipse says

ECLIPSE_STARTUP_ERROR_CHECK_LOG

j2sdk-1_4_2_08-nb-4_0-bin-win.exe
and
netbeans-4_0-bin-windows.exe says

wizard cannot continue because of the following error: could not load wizard specified in /wizard.inf (104)

i WAS able to istall java web start and java 2 runtime environment.

anyone know wtf is going on, keep in mind im a complete noob to java

First install one of the SDK's:
1.4.2 or 5.0.3 (aka Java 5 aka Java 1.5)

1.4.2 code will compile and run using the 5.0 compiler/runtime, but not the other way around.

If you're on the Windows platform, I recommend TextPad. It has syntax higlighting and makes it easy to compile. Basically a glorified notepad with built in batch files for compiling your code. It's not free, but you can try before you buy (as long as you want...it'll just pop a little window up asking you to buy it once in a blue moon).

I've tried NetBeans, but I didn't really like the interface, and quite frankly, I didn't use most of the features it had. If you want a full featured IDE, NetBeans is probably the way to go (I've tried NetBeans, JBuilder, and JCreator and found them all to be about the same as far as their quirks go. I've never tried Eclipse though). One caveat about using NetBeans (and I don't believe they've fixed this yet...someone correct me if I'm wrong) is if you want to send the .java files, NetBeans doesn't keep the structure of the code (all the whitespace) intact if you create a new file through NetBeans. It should work fine if you create the .java files first and then open them with NetBeans though.

Oh, and in case you don't already know, the API is your best friend in Java :D
1.4 API
Java 5 API

Beginners should avoid IDEs and use a basic editor and command-line utilities.
In windows, all you need is the Java SDK. Use Notepad (or TextPad) as the editor. And compile and execute from the command-line.
This gives you a better idea what is involved in building and running Java programs. Once you have a good understanding of the process, and start to work on larger programs, then use an IDE, which would save you lots of time.

chrusher97 said:
At my school we use gvim6.2 to make the .java files and compile with the official compiler i think ( you type javac hello.java then java hello).
Sounds like a good system to me. :) You may want to upgrade to a newer version of Vim, and make sure you're using the 1.5 compiler, or you'll be missing out on a lot of great new language features. Once you get into larger projects, you'll probably want to check out something like Ant if you don't go the IDE route.

GlimmerMan said:
Beginners should avoid IDEs and use a basic editor and command-line utilities.
In windows, all you need is the Java SDK. Use Notepad (or TextPad) as the editor. And compile and execute from the command-line.
This gives you a better idea what is involved in building and running Java programs. Once you have a good understanding of the process, and start to work on larger programs, then use an IDE, which would save you lots of time.

I agree if your a noob with programming do it the hard way for a semester or 2, then decide if u wanna switch over. I'm a junior in CS and I still use command prompt.

Back