• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New to Intel, need help with build.....

gregnash

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 8, 2005
Messages
2,164
So I have needed to build a new system for some time now and have been waiting for the AM3 information to come out before I made a decision. I have been an AMD user since the K6-2 days and known virtually nothing about Intel based systems.

The plan is to build a new system somewhere around May this year and I don't believe that the Core i7 systems will be low enough in cost allow me to purchase.

Information:
Budget: Want to keep around $600 if possible, can go higher but dont want to spend a lot of money as the system does not need to be incredibly powerful.
Hardware transferring: I will be keeping my 200gb sata drive, my kb/mouse, and 22" Westinghouse
Case: I have an old Antec Soho case that I am currently modding so a case is not needed in budget cost.

Note: this system will used for some light photo editing, general web surfing, media server (have two Tivos in the house connected to via wireless) and gaming (mostly WAR and WoW, will be looking into Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 when they come out).

With the above information will this system suite my needs?

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 Wolfdale 2.66GHz LGA 775 Dual-Core Processor Model
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: 2x G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK (total of 8GB)
GFX: MSI R4850-512M OC Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Total Cost: ~$630 w/ s+h

Edit: Added that I will be increasing to 8gb of RAM as I am currently running Window Vista Ultimate x64 (though waiting to download Windows 7 tonight).
 
Looks like a great build IMHO for what your talking about doing. I've read great things about that mobo here and elsewhere.
 
Save $25 by going with this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817702008
Go with this faster-clocked 4850 for $45 less after rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121272
Get this RAM instead for $20 cheaper in total: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231226

Then if you want to, get this CPU with the money you've saved: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037
Or, if you're willing to buy a used chip, get this ASAP: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1382948
 
Thanks for the info Zero.... But will the PSU be enough? I dont really plan to overclock but there is a chance that I might get a 1gb version of the 4850 or even possibly a 4870.... Really just depends on my money position at the time I start buying. I dont think that what I play will necessitate the 4870 but the extra memory would be nice for the 4850. Again this is not going to happen until the spring/early summer so unfortunately that CPU is outta the question. Hopefully by that time though the current 775 prices will have come down quite a bit.
 
Yes, the PSU will be enough, even for a 1GB version of the 4850 or 4870.
 
So not really sure but with the extra money that is being spent on the upgraded processor...for approximately the same price you can get the Q6600. To help "future proof" myself would I be better off saving the money for a quad core? I know that there are not really any games out there that use all four cores but would I see the benefit?
 
No reason to even look at prices if you don't intend to build until May. Come back ~1 week before the intended build date. 2 weeks at the most.
 
So not really sure but with the extra money that is being spent on the upgraded processor...for approximately the same price you can get the Q6600. To help "future proof" myself would I be better off saving the money for a quad core? I know that there are not really any games out there that use all four cores but would I see the benefit?

By the time you build your PC, it will be more cost-effective to go with a quad. By then, Intel may have already released the i5 series.
 
Back
Top