• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New to external HDD's, need recommendation please

Operaghost

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 4, 2004
Messages
1,315
This is a link to my mobo.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_III_FORMULA/specifications/

I want to get a small external HDD to use for backing up home videos and photos of my family.

I'm looking for a recommendation for what type of hard drive to get? Mostly which interface I should go with?

I believe my options are USB 3.0, esata or Power esata.

I don't need a huge amount of space, 1TB would probably be fine.
 
The USB 3.0 drives are pretty fast and I've been using two for about a year for backup purposes. 1 Seagate Backup Plus and another WD.

These are also probably cheaper and more portable.
 
Tacking onto this thread as I am also looking for a good backup solution. I was using a 1.5TB HD in an enclosure connecting via esata. But I've had trouble with the JMicron drivers on my P8Z68V-Pro (ver 1) and esata has not worked for a while. So I'm leaning to a USB 3 solution.

I'd like at least a 2TB drive, maybe even a 3TB drive. From my brief search, Seagate has a 2TB USB3 Backup Plus slim drive that has good reveiws. But to go to 3TB, I'll have to go to a larger drive... in an enclosure again... or a Backup Plus. The Backup Plus slim in the 4TB version uses two 2TB drives in a raid 0 configuration... no thanks.
 
Back
Top