• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New to computer audio.. need card help!

daweinah

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 16, 2006
Messages
80
I just put together a new computer and snagged a set of Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 that kick ass, but I'd like to get a little more out of them, and up my FPS, by adding a cheapish ($50-80 pref) soundcard to help them out.

I know absolutely nothing about sound cards, except that they help transfer the load from the CPU to the SPU (?? heh) and can provide more power and clearer sound and good stuff like that. Are there any good options for me?

I should mention that I'm not huge into sound, I just want better than stock performance.
 
Then you want a card that will do hardware accelleration and have really good surround virtualization over 2.1 or headphones. Choice is simple: an X-Fi XM. For gaming, there really is no competition.
 
daweinah said:
I just put together a new computer and snagged a set of Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 that kick ass, but I'd like to get a little more out of them, and up my FPS, by adding a cheapish ($50-80 pref) soundcard to help them out.

I know absolutely nothing about sound cards, except that they help transfer the load from the CPU to the SPU (?? heh) and can provide more power and clearer sound and good stuff like that. Are there any good options for me?

I should mention that I'm not huge into sound, I just want better than stock performance.

you'll definitely get better sound when you get the x-fi but the fps boost is negliable. Dont buy the sound card is all your looking for is better gaming performance, it'll improve your experience but not performance
 
Chastity said:
Then you want a card that will do hardware accelleration and have really good surround virtualization over 2.1 or headphones. Choice is simple: an X-Fi XM. For gaming, there really is no competition.
Is that this one?

Are there any other options that are cheaper? And what is that thing that looks like a monitor output plug?
 
Back
Top