New To AMD Setups And OC.

MysticX23

Limp Gawd
I've always been a P4 guy and have oc'ed Pentiums for awhile. But my gf needs a budget computer (using Shuttle sff) and I am planning to go for amd. Here's my two choices:

AMD Athlon2400+ (266fsb, 2.0ghz) --> Thoroughbred?
to run 1:1 at stock i'd be using pc2100
to run 1:1 at a modest oc, i'd be using pc2700

AMD Barton 2500+(333fsb, 1.83ghz)
to run 1:1 at stock i'd be using pc2700
to run 1:1 at modest oc, i'd be using pc3200

Assuming what I wrote is correct and the best performance is running them in sync, here's the delimma:

I won't be able to change the multiplier cuz I don't wanna do any multipier pin tricks. AND I will be only getting pc2700. So the 2500+ will stay at stock (or near 2.0ghz) while I will be able to oc the 2400+ to fsb of 333 at default multiplier (2.5ghz). Now which is a better choice given the criteria?

you should get a mobile xp the multipliers are usually unlocked, they cost the same, they are barton cores, they OC no less than the best regular XP's bartons, and they run on lower V's
either way the xp2500 is a much better chip the the xp2400, so i don't think its fair to compare, 512 cache vs 256 and better cores, get pc3200 instead and push the unlocked chip to its limit , they pretty much cost they same anyway, i'd really stress on getting the pc3200 youd' have a solid budget pc, the mobile XP 2400+ is the cpu to get

Definitely go for an XP-Mobile 2600+, runs stock at 1917Mhz at 1.45 volts and is multiplier unlocked. Should easily do 2400Mhz at 1.65 volts (which is standard volts for a desktop chip) and definitely run DDR400 RAM.

Good thing about the Mobile CPU's is they run cool at stock speeds.

Datsun 1600

Thanks. I decided getting the 2400+ mobile now that I'm getting a shuttle that can change multipliers.

But now I've got a newb question as I"m new to AMD processors, expecially unlocked multipliers. Is there any negative overclokcing potential to obtain same speeds with higher multipliers and lower fsb, besides the fact that the fsb is slower.

The reason I'm asking is cuz I wanna hit 2.5ghz with my 2400+. However, I'm gonna use onboard video (IGP) and on the Shuttle SFF, its not recommended that I set fsb very much above 166mhz. So I'm thinking about maxing out the multiplier at 15 and set fsb at 166 to get 2.5ghz. Should be the same as a 12.5 multiplier and 200fsb assuming my chip can handle it right?

Not to hijack the thread but I was wondering the same thing, kind of. Would there be any benefit to turn the multiplyer right down and put the FSB really really high to atchieve a mild overclock but the FSB would be very high?

what chipset goes this shuttle have? please tell me it's an nf2... if not, ditch the board, cause the via chipset is not worth the $10 that you save on it. and as someone else pointed out, the price difference between pc2700 and pc3200 ram is... well very small, so if you go get some pc3200 ram and a mobile xp2500+, you can most likely set the multi to 12.5 and the fsb to 200 without too much of a problem, then you'll have a 2.5ghz chip with 2x the cache of the thoughbred. now all is right with the world :)

edit: keith- most helpful if you're doing things that are very bandwidth intensive, like encoding music/video, but even in those cases, the increase in clock speed is generally more significant to performance then the fsb, although both definitly help

Well, having the highest FSB possible is always best... A high FSB with a lower multiplier will always be faster than a lower FSB with a high multiplier. Higher FSB speeds = More bandwidth, etc., plus since AMD's like to run 1:1 it goes hand-in-hand with higher memory bandwidth, which is good.

But, of course, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I doubt it's a huge difference. If it comes down to buying a new motherboard or something, just max out the FSB as much as possible and raise the multi. from there to overclock, no biggy :)

Back