new to AMD good motherboard?

psxtradr

n00b
I am building a new PC and I have decided to switch over from Intel to AMD. I am looking at getting the Athlon 64 3700, what are some good motherboards to get to use with this CPU? Any suggustions appreciated, thanks. :)

Are you planning on SLI or Crossfire? Do you need 8 SATA ports or 2 or 4? What is your budget? The A8n (non-SLI) is a great bargain for a single PCIe skt. 939 board at $115 on Newegg.

I agree with Merc. What do you want in a mobo?
Do you have a good AGP video card that you want to carry over?
Are you going to start from scratch and purchase everything new?
How much money are you planning on spending on the A64 system?

The only items I plan on carrying over from my old PC to this new one are:
1. The CD/DVD drives
2. The hard drives
3. Sound Card
The rest I plan to purchase.
As I understand it, SLI is used for Nvidia cards and Crossfire for ATI is this correct?
If this is the case I will most likely want an SLI board. As far as SATA ports I probably only need 4. Overall, I probably intend to spend somewhere between $1000-$1500 on the system. Any new suggustions based on this info?

If you will do your research on the SLI, Crossfire stuff.
You might decide to go with a single card of the newer technology.
Most of us do not have the $$ to purchase two of the new nVidia 7800 GT's for SLI.
Or a pair of the X1800 XT's for Crossfire.
In tests the single nVidia 7800GT will outperform a pair of nVidia 6600 cards.
Also the new X1800 XT will outperform a pair of the X800 gto PCIe cards.
If it were me, I would go for a new ATI X1800 XT card. T
hese will be going for about $500 each in the next few weeks.
I paid this for the X800 XTpe card I have back in 04.
At this point I am keeping my video card, so I must use a mobo that still utilizies AGP video cards.
I am happy with the performance of my system so am not looking to spend the $ to upgrade everything.

Ah I see what you are saying. I probably won't need SLI or crossfire then. What would be a good recommendation for a mobo without these features, still using the rest of the info discussed above?

Merc said:
Are you planning on SLI or Crossfire? Do you need 8 SATA ports or 2 or 4? What is your budget? The A8n (non-SLI) is a great bargain for a single PCIe skt. 939 board at $115 on Newegg.
i disagree, EPoX 9NPA+ ultra is a better buy IMO

You could select any of the boards you were interested in, but just drop the SLI option. The SLI is just an option, not a complete different board.
It is an expensive option, so the same board with std PCIe would cost a bunch less.

Back