New tf2 stats... Whoa engineer! And spy more popular then Heavy?

Zellio2009

[H]ard|Gawd
First week has gone by since engy and spy updates.

totaltimeplayedbyclass.png

Engy is now the top class BY FAR. Spy is also picking up quite a bit, suppassing poor mr. heavy.

Methinks fatboy will be last when all updates are done.

engineer usage will die down

unless people seriously like staring at their SG forever wrenching it

It's been this way for a while.

Engineering (and pyroing) is so popular b/c it requires no basic fps skills like good aim, reaction time, movement execution, etc. A retarded monkey can do it. Also a lot of people are scared of fake death and engineer is the 'safest' class to play.

Heavy doesnt have very high requirements (mainly positioning and awareness) but I guess he's just too boring and people would rather whack an SGs or suicide w+m1 pyro all day.

Scout is least played because to be good with him you need very good aim, awareness, and dodging skills. Something that the typical pubber lacks. Also because he sucks on bad chokepoint spam maps like 2fort/dbowl/goldrush where there are at least 5 SGs and 5 demos per team, and those maps happen to be the most popular.

I'm always going to be a die hard heavy player. If we have 2 or more heavies on our team, than I'll go medic.

i just got TF2 last weekend and coming from CSS and BF2 i use the demoman and sniper, i hate the damn pyro......

havent play scout much but maybe ill try since it sounds like a chalenge. if anyone wants to add me as a steam friend and play my id is adidas4275

ill be playing a lot over winter break, best part of being a teacher :)

Good engineers will step away from their sentry and shoot to help protect it. Pyro is easy, does A LOT of damage, has a DOT, and runs fast. Who wouldn't want to play pyro?

I love being a sniper/scout, I played pyro for a long time so I could get the flare gun, that thing is cool. They should upgrade his health just a little. There a challenge to play as though.

scout usage for me is at the top by far. i'm sort of surprised the scout is down at the bottom.

Engy is a noob class, just as pyro, but to actually be good at both you gotta be good.

Otherwise noob engy gets steamrolled by demoman and noob pyro gets steamrolled by scout, sniper, soldier, heavy, demo, and sentry.

People say it's a noob game. It's not, it just has certain classes that are easy to play for terrible players.

Noob pyro w+m1 on any map that isn't 2fort or goldbowl, gets instantly destroyed, as they're running in an open area.

Noob engy hammers away at sentry instead of firing at enemies, being offensive in any way, and running or firing at demo stickies when demo comes.

all I can say is BURN BABY BURN!!!!

Pyro is a fun class on defense, and an amazing class teamed up with a medic, you can wreak HAVOC when you have a good medic. Likewise, my fav class is the medic. Nothing like getting killed by the guy doing the healing...

engy is fun on offense.

So true. A good engy on offense can be pretty much invaluable, especially now with level 3 teles....makes it easy for everyone on the team to get to the front of the lines and quickly too.

I play backburner pyro because at least I feel my critical hits are earned and provides a more spy tactic to the class with a speed and health benefit. It's really fun ambushing teams in the tunnel in Badwater Basin. I've gotten 25 kills in a single life going through that path.

I think the regular flamethrower is over powered because it gets critical effects way too often. It was a problem with soldiers as well but not as bad now as with the release. It gimped the usefulness of the extra weapons unlike the medic where the blutsauger and ubersaw are really useful. Airblast is useful but I like keeping my ammo high because I'm an OCD spy checker.

Level 3 Teles are ungodly overpowered. This coming from a guy who has loved the Engineer class since QWTF.

I've also discovered that the upgrades make for an interesting change in tactics: if you have two engineers on your team, instead of placing the sentry guns at both teleporter exits, you can now afford to place one sentry at the entrances, and one at the exits. This gives you a superhighway that is largely impervious to spies, so long as you can spot them.

But if you can't get the engies on your team to coordinate, all these new features are for naught. Spy can take them out just as easily as ever, and now he has more reason to.

Level 3 Teles are ungodly overpowered. This coming from a guy who has loved the Engineer class since QWTF.

I've also discovered that the upgrades make for an interesting change in tactics: if you have two engineers on your team, instead of placing the sentry guns at both teleporter exits, you can now afford to place one sentry at the entrances, and one at the exits. This gives you a superhighway that is largely impervious to spies, so long as you can spot them.

But if you can't get the engies on your team to coordinate, all these new features are for naught. Spy can take them out just as easily as ever, and now he has more reason to.

I disagree, level 3 teles make goldbowl and badwater actually WINNABLE.

i never really played engie much, but trying to get level 3 teleporters wherever I go, the entrances get sapped by some spy :(

its funny

the more you go up the more nooby the class is

the game needs 2 get rid of crits

Naw....They dont need to get rid of crits.....they just need to make them more RARE....Like 1 out of a hundred shots.....Ok ok,,,maybe 2 out of 100...

I enjoy playing as the Soldier, Scout, Heavy, or Medic.

Pyro is actually a really fun class to play too, but it's too easy IMHO.

The engineer is obviously going to be the most popular player, the sentry gun is a powerhouse on its own and 99.5% of players cannot take a sentry down 1on1 even when it has no support, on top of that add the fact that the engineer can repair the turret giving it unlimited health and ammo from the dispensers....

Its the perfect defence, its made even more impossible by the fact that sentries can be placed right next to each other, so they cover other sentries from spies and people sneaking around...

All the maps are just massive bottlenecks with perfect places for these sentries, the engineer is just massively over powered and thats coming from someone who is consistantly able to take down sentry guns with the demo single handly (so no, im not crap need to L2P etc)

Sentries require no teamwork, taking them down requires almost too much to ask from a pub server, the game is completely bias towards the defenders.

*edit*

and to take the piss more, they've made more of the engineers tools upgradeable, and they've made the demomans stickies destroyable with bullets which tips the balance against the few players good enough to use the demoman to take out SGs

Yeah, the demo man change to stickies really irritated me. If they're going to do that, I wish they'd increase the load capacity or decrease the reload time on the pipe bombs. Sometimes "defending your stickies" can get a bit ridiculous, and this is supposed to be a defensive/area denial class.

Pyro, btw, can be an awesome class. A month or two ago, I hated it as well. And, on some maps, with the respawn set low enough, gameplay devolves into constant suicide tactics. But that's the fault of ADD kiddies who can't stand to wait more than 3-5s for a respawn.

My only beef with Pyros is that the achievements are largely useless. I don't use the flare gun, b/c the shot gun is better anti-scout, anti-pyro, and for demo men. I don't use backburner because compression blast is just too damned useful (blowing back ubers, knocking people off towers and into water, bouncing back soldier missiles, blowing away stickies, etc). And axestinguisher always seemed rather silly to me. I'm not going to put away my flamethrower to melee some guy. I'd have rather had a Sandwich, personally.

-S

wow Heavy is pretty unpopular even tho hes the #1 class in terms of Kill/minute.
I guess it becomes too irritating when you're dying from headshots and backstabs so often.

Naw....They dont need to get rid of crits.....they just need to make them more RARE....Like 1 out of a hundred shots.....Ok ok,,,maybe 2 out of 100...

Crits are actually based around recent levels of accuracy by each player. The more accurate you are, the more prone you are to getting more crits. I don't know how it all boils down to it mathematically, but I do remember hearing it in the dev commentary and in a couple articles.

Anyway, am I the only one that thinks the spy being able to recharge cloaking so easily makes him a little overpowered? Not trying to gloat, but I have been the best spy out of all the people I play with regularly, and it seems his new ability makes things all too easy sometimes.

The engineer is obviously going to be the most popular player, the sentry gun is a powerhouse on its own and 99.5% of players cannot take a sentry down 1on1 even when it has no support, on top of that add the fact that the engineer can repair the turret giving it unlimited health and ammo from the dispensers....

Its the perfect defence, its made even more impossible by the fact that sentries can be placed right next to each other, so they cover other sentries from spies and people sneaking around...

All the maps are just massive bottlenecks with perfect places for these sentries, the engineer is just massively over powered and thats coming from someone who is consistantly able to take down sentry guns with the demo single handly (so no, im not crap need to L2P etc)

Sentries require no teamwork, taking them down requires almost too much to ask from a pub server, the game is completely bias towards the defenders.

*edit*

and to take the piss more, they've made more of the engineers tools upgradeable, and they've made the demomans stickies destroyable with bullets which tips the balance against the few players good enough to use the demoman to take out SGs

I agree with many of your points, but also about the game being heavily biased towards defenders, I think it needs to be that way. If it were even equally balanced, I think it would be too hard to defend. Another point from the spy gaining the upgrade along with the engineers, perhaps these were meant to counterbalance one another? Any decent spy can take out n00b engie stuff pretty easily.

Each class is pretty well balanced. I don't userstand what makes a noob class over another. Engineer is easier on people that don't have a fast net connection or a good video card like I did for a long time. You have to play to your strengths. I live in Hawaii, and I have to play on west coast servers. I never get below 100 ping. So I can't play sniper I play engineer and pyro because they aren't as demanding.

Engineer is an incredibly powerful class. Upgrade both the dispenser and the teleporter and you provide such a boone to the rest of your team. But don't forget to use that shotgun. Once all your stuff is built you have to get out there and shoot, one of the advantages is taht you can fire from two spots including the SG. I find a lot of people just standing around their own equipment waiting to get stapped by a spy.

I find that most people that play Engineer do it poorly. they build up a gun and maybe a dispenser right next to it in a corner just to provide a little bit of metal to themselves. Maybe they'll put a teleporter to them as well. The gun should go in a defensive place where it's easy to shoot the enemy. The dispenser should go where there's a lot of traffic from yoru teammates. After your SG is up you don't need that much metal anymore and you often deny the team the use of that dispenser.
The teleporter is often ignored or done poorly. Most people don't realize you can rotate the exit teleporter to determine which way the person will face when they use your teleporter. I often find myself staring into a corner after going through the teleporter. Turn those things around using the Right Click! Also put them somewhere useful, you can put place them in a forward position, maybe with a teamate engineer who can maintain it for you. You don't have to put all yoru equipment right next to each other.

That being said. My favorite class to play is scout.

Crits are actually based around recent levels of accuracy by each player. The more accurate you are, the more prone you are to getting more crits. I don't know how it all boils down to it mathematically, but I do remember hearing it in the dev commentary and in a couple articles.

Anyway, am I the only one that thinks the spy being able to recharge cloaking so easily makes him a little overpowered? Not trying to gloat, but I have been the best spy out of all the people I play with regularly, and it seems his new ability makes things all too easy sometimes.

there was a very very long thread on the steam forums that most people agreed with. remove or drastically lower the basic percentage of crits. even if you havenot killed anyone, you get a base % of something, i forget. it's pretty annoying. however, if you do well and kill or hurt a lot of people, there should be some bonuses.. crits.

there was a very very long thread on the steam forums that most people agreed with. remove or drastically lower the basic percentage of crits. even if you havenot killed anyone, you get a base % of something, i forget. it's pretty annoying. however, if you do well and kill or hurt a lot of people, there should be some bonuses.. crits.

I really don't get people that go on forums and whine about the rules of a game. If they're the same for everyone, why not just work on improving the things you don't do as well, like avoiding taking damage? TF IS SERIOUZ BIZNAZZ!!!

And yeah, I appreciate the irony of complaining on a forum about complainers on a forum.

I agree with many of your points, but also about the game being heavily biased towards defenders, I think it needs to be that way. If it were even equally balanced, I think it would be too hard to defend. Another point from the spy gaining the upgrade along with the engineers, perhaps these were meant to counterbalance one another? Any decent spy can take out n00b engie stuff pretty easily.

I agree that in the attack/defend maps that the defenders and specifically the engineers need to be able to do a good job in defence, the problem that I have is that it doesn't require any skill to pull off, engineers just whack up turrets absolutely everywhere and they all cover each other, and bam...you've got a defence that can only be beaten in 1 of two ways

1) A good demoman who has enough skill with the stickies to take one out alone, this is rare and exactly why I spend most of my time as the demoman rather than classes I want to play.
2) A uber combo of soldier/HWG/demoman which is rare

One of the biggest problems I have is the engineer is still highly combat capable once he's put up his turret, the shotgun is a reasonably effective weapon especially against the weaker scouts/spys and the wrench is a hart hitting crit machine which crits about 90% of the time if you let your perfect accuracy turret rack up your accurate stats (decides crit chance)

In my opinion the engineer should be crippled combat wise the more he builds up his gear, maybe the max metal deployed on the field lowers the max metal in his inventory, so:

level 1 turret = 1/2 ammo for shotgun
level 2 turret = No spare ammo for shotgun (1 clip only)
level 3 turret = No shotgun only wrench

They also need to stop the turret from boosting the crit chance of the wrench, this is just retarded, half the time an engineer hits me as a spy it's a insta crit death.

That being said. My favorite class to play is scout.

I love the scout the best, easily my fave character, but made next to useless when attacking due to his extreme vulnerability to turrets. They become somewhat of a harassment tool in defence where you can distract enemys from their goal weakening the attack. IMO scouts need to be able to outrun the turret fire with a sprint ability which recharges like a stamina bar, sprinting should make you like 50% faster on top of your current speed for zipping about, making long jumps etc, but not be able to shoot during this time.

At least then you can get past turrets to harass enemies on the other side of them, or whatever...that might encourage spreading out turrets rather than clumping them together, defence on the point as well as at the front lines for example.

I really don't get people that go on forums and whine about the rules of a game. If they're the same for everyone, why not just work on improving the things you don't do as well, like avoiding taking damage? TF IS SERIOUZ BIZNAZZ!!!

And yeah, I appreciate the irony of complaining on a forum about complainers on a forum.

Some of us think the game could be better, why not offer up critisim, Valve respond to the community in at least a rudamentry way so it makes sense.

I enjoy noob engies who just stand there and wrench. Esp. the people who think it's a good idea.

Makes it so much easier to zap and stab, or just run around zapping, then to actually hafta fight an engie who shoots ya...

I enjoy noob engies who just stand there and wrench. Esp. the people who think it's a good idea.

Makes it so much easier to zap and stab, or just run around zapping, then to actually hafta fight an engie who shoots ya...

With the Engi upgrades, if they've placed their shit right they can just stand there and wrench. Shooting is optional, just to get you out of disguise if the engi is solo of his idiot teammates are slow on the uptake.

Engineers now have the option of setting up in such a way that a spy literally cannot do anything against them, solo, on many maps now. Is this good? Bad? Indifferent? I dunno. I, for one, think spies are much more devastating in non-PuG games, where you can coordinate tactics with them reliably. Spy + demo man is a mean one-two punch not nearly nobody bothered to use before.

When ever a new update comes out its always like that, everyone will pick that class.

I do like Heavy tho:)

but latley, it was pointless to be aspy especialy if the other team had many pyros, mybe ppl liked him because of his special skills or curios to try them

With the Engi upgrades, if they've placed their shit right they can just stand there and wrench. Shooting is optional, just to get you out of disguise if the engi is solo of his idiot teammates are slow on the uptake.

Engineers now have the option of setting up in such a way that a spy literally cannot do anything against them, solo, on many maps now. Is this good? Bad? Indifferent? I dunno. I, for one, think spies are much more devastating in non-PuG games, where you can coordinate tactics with them reliably. Spy + demo man is a mean one-two punch not nearly nobody bothered to use before.

No, theirs nowhere that a engie can board himself up at with no way to get too.

All you gotta do is make your way into enemy base (as spy), make sure people think your one of them (good way is to use sniper disguise on obvious sniper areas), and just keep zapping and running.

Make sure no pyros are around.

If you see someone coming, grab metal, cloak and run.

If an area has several ways to go, let people see you, cloak and run, and come back when their gone.

This is what I love so much about the metal update. Spies used to be a highly frustrating class, you cloaked, and then stood in a corner for 30 friggin' seconds!

Now if your good, you can cause tons of damage.

As far as multiple spies...

pl_badwater0003small.jpg

Say what you will about how unbalanced the teams were, pre metal patch you would hardly find 1 spy in top 3, much less two (on pub servers).

Spys really needed that update, they were too slow and boring to play with the old cloak recharge time.

That said the above is a bit silly, 60 kills and only 16 destruction...the biggest problem in pub servers is attackers running into walls of turrets, spys should be primarily focusing on bringing down the buildings.

Back