New system version 1

Phewl

Weaksauce
Before I buy, what do you guys think of this build? I am trying to build a computer for a gamer who would never understand what's under the hood, but likes to play the latest games and would like to continue doing so for a few years. No overclocking going on here. Any cost saving suggestions are appreciated, without sacrificing too much power.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 4MB Retail
ASUS P5B ATX LGA775 Conroe 965P DDR2 PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 3PCI 6 SATA2 Sound Motherboard
BFG GeForce 7900 GT OC SIN Edition PCI-E 256MB 256BIT GDDR3 SLI Ready Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 SE PCI 7.1 Surround Sound Card OEM
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB SATA 7200RPM 16MB 9MS FDB RoHS Hard Drive 3 Year MFR Warranty
OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-12 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit
Pioneer DVR-111D Black DVD-RW 16X6X16 DVD+RW 16X8X16 DL 8X IDE OEM DVD Burner
NCIX XION2-BK Black ATX Mid Tower Case 4X5.25 2X3.5 5X3.5INT 2X120MM Fans 450W W/ LED Fans & Window

Make sure you get the P5B-E version. Fixes some problems in the first release of the board from what I understand.

Can go with the 6300/6400 without a big gaming performance hit. Unless you decide to go with an 8800 series GPU. The 7900 will bottleneck your system either way.

For ram savings, check out G.Skill 2gb kit

I'd also suggest a raptor drive, but that's just my personal preference.

Don't those Seagate 320GB Perp. recording drives come with a 5yr warranty? That might be a better choice of hard drive.

I would never buy a Pioneer DVD burner, they seem too expensive for my taste.

Make sure the power supply can handle all of that, with room for future upgrades.

-=Antimatter=- said:
Don't those Seagate 320GB Perp. recording drives come with a 5yr warranty? That might be a better choice of hard drive.

I would never buy a Pioneer DVD burner, they seem too expensive for my taste.

Make sure the power supply can handle all of that, with room for future upgrades.
Yes, the Seagates come with 5yr warranty and are FAST. I wouldn't buy a maxtor drive, even though seagate now owns them. I wouldn't bother with a raptor if you get the 320gb 7200.10 seagate drive. I get 65-70MB/s with that drive, while my raptor does 80MB/s... so I don't think the raptor is worth the price premium.

That particular pioneer drive is $30... I think thats reasonably priced... not expensive at all.

I would suggest getting the case without the PSU included, and going for one of the PSUs listed on the recommended list over at the psu subforum. The XClio Goodpower 500W is good.

Also, I'd go for a cheaper board, like the Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 instead of the P5B, or make the jump to the P5B-E.

Also, theres some problems with OCZ Gold sticks and compatibility. I'd suggest goin for the g.skill kit suggested by andru above. If you want to stick with OCZ, go with either their platinum or vanilla (or soe) sticks.

I also agree with goin for a lower CPU, since the gpu affects gaming performance more than the cpu does.

Whoops, I was thinking of Plextor, not Pioneer.

Since it's for gaming, the e6400/8800GTS combo would be more powerful than a 7XXX series card.

Back