New System- Step-up or 5870?

EtherealConstruct

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 4, 2009
Messages
216
I've got a new system build just lacking a video card- would it be better to buy a Nvidia Step-up program applicable card now and upgrade to GT300 or go with an HD5870?

As a side note- If I decided to go with the Radeon, would it be worth it to wait a couple months on the 5870, say until Black Friday?
 
Its up to your wallet.

Buy a 5870 tomorrow and enjoy it for a couple of months. If you want GT300, sell it and pay the difference.

Buy a Nvidia card tomorrow and enjoy it for a couple of months. Step up and pay the difference (don't forget that there is a limited time before you cannot step up anymore).

Don't buy a card, what you save is what you didn't "pay" to have a card for a couple of months. Your paying with gaming time instead.
 
I've got a new system build just lacking a video card- would it be better to buy a Nvidia Step-up program applicable card now and upgrade to GT300 or go with an HD5870?

As a side note- If I decided to go with the Radeon, would it be worth it to wait a couple months on the 5870, say until Black Friday?

No one knows when the GT300 will be released, so if you plan on taking advantage of the step up program, that's going to be a gamble. Some sources are saying November while others are saying early next year.

As for the Radeon, I have a feeling it will stay at MSRP until Nvidia is ready to release its next slate of cards. But of course there might be some good cashback deals and such when Black Friday rolls around.
 
Last edited:
Don't bother with the step up. There is rumors pointing towards the GT300 coming out as early as November to late first quarter 2010. That will put you out of the range with the step up maybe. If you have the money for a 5800 series card go for it.
 
Isn't there with some step up programs where you pay a fee to extend your step up a certain amount of days?
 
in the same position as you, going to wait til tomorrow, if the 5x sells out everywhere i'll just grab a 285. Same deal if the prices are inflated. I was only eyeing the 5850 anyway.
 
I doubt that the G300 series will even come out in the next 90 days. So if you buy a card now the step up would be moot.
 
Back
Top