Im building a new system and since i've not touched hardware since i worked in a hardware shop (some 2 years ago) im not up to date with everything.
After a bit of reading and reasearch i've put this system together.
eVga NF680i SLI
Core Duo 2 E6600
Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-6400 (TWIN2X2048-6400C4D) DOMINATOR
Western Digital WD2500KS Caviar SE 250GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache
Hiper 530W Black Type-R Modular PSU
Antec P180
XFX GeForce 7900GT 256MB (http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...e=1&NavigationKey=11137,42750000&v=2#infoarea)
HannsG 19" Widescreen (http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...e=1&NavigationKey=11109,44640000&v=2#infoarea)
Im not really a hardcore gamer (since i got my 360 that is , but that cauld be because i havn't had a decent computer to play games on) but more of a power user. Im looking to overclock this and try and keep it for a while (atleast till im finished university) and hopefully futureproof it.
The motherboard was chosen purely for its SLI capability and good rating on its stability and overclocking potential(a bit pricey but this system needs to last a while).
The processor was a no brainer really , best bang for buck without going nuts.
I toyed with getting a 7600GT (its about half the price ) but if i start to play games again I wont be happy . The 7900GT from XFX seems to be a good entry level high end card (I cant justify spending £300+ on a card I may never use properly). It should also last a fair while if i game casually.
The ram is still a bit of a concern , im really only looking to spent around £200 for some reliable and stable RAM . I've had good experience with corsair in the past but havn't kept upto date with all the new developments. Should i go for faster ram (I know my budget will need to change a little) or is the 6400 sufficient ?
The power supply seems to be fairly reliable and well built , it is SLI capable too which should support two 7900GT's (I may be wrong thou) if i decide to upgrade later. I also like the module idea and the ability to remove clutter.
The P180 should give me lots of space for expansion (I will most likely fill it full of drives) and room for airflow . It also looks sexy
WD were always reliable and there support was brilliant when I did have to RMA something. I have a fileserver with lots of space so this 250GB will be fine for now untill I run out of space.
HannsG seem to be a fairly new player in the market with really good monitors and support. I had originally planned to buy 2 17" but the price increase to the 19" was minimal. Im on a budget of around £1100 so I had to remove one monitor to upgrade the graphics card
. The monitor is fairly high spec for the price and seems really common and well stocked everywhere (so in the next 2-3 months I cauld buy another if I wanted).
Looking for people's opinions on everything , power supply to the motherboard.
My only real requirements are that it must be futurproof, good OC potential and fairly high spec. The graphics must be nVidia (due to good FreeBSD driver support) and th eboardmust support SLI.
There we go , rip it to pieces and make me start all over again
After a bit of reading and reasearch i've put this system together.
eVga NF680i SLI
Core Duo 2 E6600
Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-6400 (TWIN2X2048-6400C4D) DOMINATOR
Western Digital WD2500KS Caviar SE 250GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache
Hiper 530W Black Type-R Modular PSU
Antec P180
XFX GeForce 7900GT 256MB (http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...e=1&NavigationKey=11137,42750000&v=2#infoarea)
HannsG 19" Widescreen (http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...e=1&NavigationKey=11109,44640000&v=2#infoarea)
Im not really a hardcore gamer (since i got my 360 that is , but that cauld be because i havn't had a decent computer to play games on) but more of a power user. Im looking to overclock this and try and keep it for a while (atleast till im finished university) and hopefully futureproof it.
The motherboard was chosen purely for its SLI capability and good rating on its stability and overclocking potential(a bit pricey but this system needs to last a while).
The processor was a no brainer really , best bang for buck without going nuts.
I toyed with getting a 7600GT (its about half the price ) but if i start to play games again I wont be happy . The 7900GT from XFX seems to be a good entry level high end card (I cant justify spending £300+ on a card I may never use properly). It should also last a fair while if i game casually.
The ram is still a bit of a concern , im really only looking to spent around £200 for some reliable and stable RAM . I've had good experience with corsair in the past but havn't kept upto date with all the new developments. Should i go for faster ram (I know my budget will need to change a little) or is the 6400 sufficient ?
The power supply seems to be fairly reliable and well built , it is SLI capable too which should support two 7900GT's (I may be wrong thou) if i decide to upgrade later. I also like the module idea and the ability to remove clutter.
The P180 should give me lots of space for expansion (I will most likely fill it full of drives) and room for airflow . It also looks sexy
WD were always reliable and there support was brilliant when I did have to RMA something. I have a fileserver with lots of space so this 250GB will be fine for now untill I run out of space.
HannsG seem to be a fairly new player in the market with really good monitors and support. I had originally planned to buy 2 17" but the price increase to the 19" was minimal. Im on a budget of around £1100 so I had to remove one monitor to upgrade the graphics card
Looking for people's opinions on everything , power supply to the motherboard.
My only real requirements are that it must be futurproof, good OC potential and fairly high spec. The graphics must be nVidia (due to good FreeBSD driver support) and th eboardmust support SLI.
There we go , rip it to pieces and make me start all over again