New System Not Stable

Messiah62

Limp Gawd
I just built a computer with the following specs:

MSI P35 Neo2-FR
2gb OCZ gold memory
Core2 Duo E4500
ATI HD 3850.

It took me forever to get xp to install, and i had vista on it for about an hour cause it would actually install but then it crashed to much so i tried install xp again, I am now on xp SP2 and it is still crashing randomly. No blue screen or anything it just reboots, and sometimes if i am playing a game it will lock up with an anoying screech sound and i have to hard reboot it. I have updated my bios to 1.6 and my video drivers are up to date.

its not the powersupply, i bought it one month ago and it worked great on my last system

Amd 64 3700+
4x512mb PC3200
X1900gt 256mb

I had a sound card and removed it which should cut some power down. I used one of those PSU calculators and i only came up to about 500w.

Can anyone help me?

it definitely sounds like the power supply, I would RMA that one or get another. Do you have your cpu or gpu overclocked? That could also cause problems.

its not the powersupply, i bought it one month ago and it worked great on my last system

Amd 64 3700+
4x512mb PC3200
X1900gt 256mb

I had a sound card and removed it which should cut some power down. I used one of those PSU calculators and i only came up to about 500w.

I had a problem like that and all I had to do was to do a fresh install of windows. Check the harddrive to make it is alright and then reinstall windows.

Is it on a brand new harddrive. Even a fresh install can get corrupted and you said that it took a long time to install. I always erase my harddrive using Darik Boot & Nuke [http://dban.sourceforge.net ] that way I start with a blank hardrive. It will take a while to erase & blank the harddrive.

I had a similar problem where my computer would crash at the most random of times.

I thought it was the PSU, because I was getting inconsistent BSOD's with each crash. That is, everytime it would crash a different BSOD message would come up, indicating to me that it wasn't any one particular part of the 'internals' of the computer where things were going wrong, so all signs point to PSU, right?

Anyway, I RMA'd the PSU, but was still getting the crashes, which leads me to believe that that PSU was ok after all. It turned out that it was my motherboard. In fact, I RMA'd the motherboard twice and each time the same thing happened. I have since moved all the other components to a different system (RAM, CPU, graphics, etc) and they work fine.

I don't know for sure, but my guess would be that my motherboard just didn't like the quality of the electricity in my house/neighborhood. Some houses and/or neighborhoods just have 'dirty' power that delicate and expensive electrical components can't handle.

With that long winded story out of the way, I'd say you should heavily consider your PSU as the source of your problems, but find a way to troubleshoot the other components you have. Turn off automatic restart on system failure in XP to see if you are actually getting BSOD's. I would also say everyone should consider that not all electricity is equal and that their problems might be the result of some other 'bigger' issue with their homes' or neighborhoods' power systems.

on reboot this is the code that im giving for the crash

BCCode : 100000d1 BCP1 : 00BDA306 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : 00BDA306 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

Try running memtest.

Test one stick of RAM at a time to isolate the problem, if there is one. Should take you about two hours (just a guess) to get that done.

Good luck!

My first suspect would be PSU. If you have another one to try it only takes a few minutes to swap out and try. Run memtest on your ram. Also double and triple check your BIOS settings for voltages, ram timings etc. Bad BIOS settings can totally screw up a system too. Browse MSI's user to user forums, they are great for helping with sometimes finicky MSI mobo settings.

When you trouble shoot NEVER assume that a part is good just because it was before a part swap. Check out OCZ's forums, ask for the proper ram timings for that memory with that MSI mobo, they're very helpful over there also.

Double check that everything is plugged in properly, power cables, data cables, ram, Video card, sound card etc etc... Also try writting zeros to your hard drive before reinstalling windows it CAN make a huge difference in how windows will install.I would check PSU first, then memory, if those are good I'd be running hard drive diagnostics or trying a quick windows install on another hard drive.

One of my Favorite Diagnostic tools is The Ultimate Boot CD, get it , make the CD, use it.... and good luck.

someone on anandtech is telling me that my memory requires a high voltage, OCZ Gold requiers a voltage of 2 or 2.10. What do you guys think of this.

im trying to change my memory voltage, but it is all greyed out how do i make it changeable.

I was planning on buying that ram your using, and I saw some negative reviews. Especially with the ram voltages, most of them spoke of how you had to up the voltage to get it to run stable. Have you tried swapping the ram?? see if that does anything for you.

played some games last night ran pretty well. about 70-99fps on bf2 max settings in a big server. Now i gotta look into overclocking. Now that i got oc memory i might consider it, is it very hard?

Back