New system- major problem

Tweakin

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't know why it is, but everytime I build a computer for a friend, family member, or at work it always goes 100% smooth. Then when ever I do something for myself... BANG, some major problem happens, heh.

I got a DFI Lanparty 875 and P4 640 in the mail this week and tried to drop it into my main system last night. Everything went ok, I was real impressed with the LANPARTY, seems to be good quality. After I attached all my drives, video card, sound card again I powered it on. Here is what I get...

Video Bios Screen (normal)
System Bios Screen (normal)
Processor String (looks ok... 3.20ghz P4)
Memory Test (walks all the way through my gig of XMS, looks ok)

Then BANG .... total power off. No beeps, no error messages, just power off.

I tried disconnecting everything but the board, cpu, and video card but that led to the same result. Another weird thing is, anytime durring the boot sequence above, if I hit a key on the keyboard, it powers off instantly.

Anyones have any ideas? All the hardware besides the board and cpu I have had for awhile, and it has all been working quite well.

Thanks for any help.

WHat PSU do you have?

Try only one ram stick yet?

worse comes to worse, take the mobo off the tray and run it on the mobo box incase there's a short

That obviously sounds like a PSU problem. that or something is being shorted. check your mounts for the motherboard to the mother board tray to see if there are any contacts to the motherboard. another thing is that you might have some connectors in the wrong way.
but mostly it sounds like a PSU problem. most likely dead.

The PSU is a ~2 week old Antec NeoPower, 480w. Probably the best PSU I have every owned, it's lines are amazingly stable. Maybe, though, it could have gone bad durring the rebuild, I will check it out.

I will also look for shorts, anything particular I should keep my eyes out for, maybe an example, or just anything (conductive or not)? I usualy tend to run a few fan wires under the ends of the board to keep them out of sight, any possible issues there?

Make sure the mobo isn't grounding out on the case.

You can also unplug the HDD to see if it makes it any father. Make sure that your PSU is sufficient to power the system.. your new hardware may be drawing more power than your PSU can dish out.

Is your keyboard USB? Unplug all USB items and try a non-USB keyboard if so.

Make sure that your CPU isn't getting too hot.

These things are what I would start with...

EDIT: Looks like most of the stuff I covered was covered before I posted.. :D

I'm thinking its a short but if it were, i'd short from the get go, not when you hit a button, this is wierd :confused:

try different parts then, might be a video card problem, or possible a ram problem.

Peach said:
try different parts then, might be a video card problem, or possible a ram problem.

I did take the sound card out and put in different memory (from another working system) and still had the same problem. Basically, I am 99% sure it is not the video card but I don't have a spare one to test with at the moment. I believe it is either the cpu or motherboard.... just trying to figure out how I can narrow it down incase of an RMA scenario :(

did u bare board it yet? (mobo off mobo tray on mobo cardboard box)

MaMMa said:
did u bare board it yet? (mobo off mobo tray on mobo cardboard box)

Did that when I got home from work today. No go. I was down to the board, cpu, video card, and psu with nothing but a monitur plugged in (on the motherboard box), and the same thing happened.

So my conclusion is a motherboard issue. Since, however, I cant test the motherboard or cpu (though I did test the video card and psu in another system, they work) because they are my only LGA775 set, I took a shot in the dark and RMA'd the motherboard.

If the system would have made it a little further in the boot process, or I was at least able to access the BIOS, I may have went with a theory on the cpu (most likely overheating- bad HSF attachment, though I did check for that), but man... it's just got to be the motherboard.

What do you guys think? Did I go the right way?

Back