• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New system for Computer Audio Creation [opinion please]

absolut][krypkn0t

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 22, 2002
Messages
64
Just ordered:

COOLER MASTER Centurion 540 RC-540 (has the "upside down" motherboard mount for better airflow, 2 x5.25, 2 x3.5, 2 i3.5)
GIGABYTE GA-K8N51GMF-9 (mATX nForce430 w/4 SATA2 (raid 0,1,0+1,5) 2 PATA, GbLAN, Onboard GeForce6100 video)
AMD 4400+ X2
Arctic Silver 5
ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm 2 Ball Blue LED Light Cooling Fan/Heatsink (the one that looks like a copper flower. I figured with the way this case is setup, this will help airflow even more and possibly will be even more effective at cooling than even in a regular case)
2Gb Twinx1024-3200c2pt (x2 = 2gb)
Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200JD 320GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 (x1)
Maxtor 60gb 7200rpm (x2 in Raid 0 - brought over from older system as temporary boot setup)
M-AUDIO Revolution 9900-40901-00 8 (7.1)

For now this will be my setup until I can afford to make a video card purchase and some SATA2 300-400gb drives to utilize the onboard RAID 5 I have available...

I chose the m-audio card because it is the cheapest card I could find that supports Asio/Asio 2 AND 7.1 channel 24/96 audio

I hope to be able to purchase 3 wd4000yr's and an x800/x850 within 2 months to truely complete the system... any ideas on setup would be welcome!
 
I forgot to add...

I will be running WinXP Pro (A stripped version)

software will include:

Reason 3
Cubase SX + VSTi's
Ableton Live
Wavelab

and also some web content creation apps like macromedia and zend studio

I went with the 4400+ because of the price point and also it has 1mb per core which I think will help with the heavy cpu load of the audio apps...
 
Awesome system, BUT why would you put a "gaming/multimedia" soundcard into a music creation system.

You would be better off going with the 2496, or 1010lt if you want a "professional" grade setup. After spending all that $$$, I say you would be MUCH better off with a 1010lt if your getting into more serious recording!
 
gemini8026 said:
Awesome system, BUT why would you put a "gaming/multimedia" soundcard into a music creation system.

You would be better off going with the 2496, or 1010lt if you want a "professional" grade setup. After spending all that $$$, I say you would be MUCH better off with a 1010lt if your getting into more serious recording!
Exactly. The 2496 can be had under $100, as can the EMU 0404. Either one will be better suited than the 7.1
 
gemini8026 said:
Awesome system, BUT why would you put a "gaming/multimedia" soundcard into a music creation system.

You would be better off going with the 2496, or 1010lt if you want a "professional" grade setup. After spending all that $$$, I say you would be MUCH better off with a 1010lt if your getting into more serious recording!


well to tell you the truth I have a Terratec dmx 6fire 24/96 card with breakout box... but I wasn't sure It would fit in the case... and just wanted to have something for a backup so that I wouldn't be dead in the water if it didn't fit... also I plan on getting the x-fi with breakout once I can afford it...

also all I really need for what I'm doing is the Asio/Asio 2 support... the ins/outs aren't that necessary as I just use a couple USB DAW controllers...
 
ranger0900 said:
with all that software are you just mixing already recored tracks?


no this is for production... ableton would be for any "gigs" so that i can live mix/remix my music on the fly...etc...
 
Go to a studio and ask if they use Sound Blaster cards in any part of their production :)

Serious, you have a powerhouse of a system, and even the new Creative product wont give you the flexxability and power and sound quality of a M-audio 1010lt.

Sound Blaster is a multimedia card and yes has some music creation support, but it's for enthusiasts and when dealign with any high end applications such CubaseSX, it REALLY pays to have a low latency card with high quality ins and outs!!!
 
I need nothing more than Asio/Asio2 support and good sound... x-fi has both and is also a damn good multimedia card... this is not by anymeans a professional studio i'm working with here... i have heard some incredible stuff made on much lesser of a system... you wouldn't even be able to tell... the m-audio 1010 or similar products are for people who need multiple ins/outs neither of which i need and by the time i do i will be in position to upgrade my card... thanks for all the input though guys... i can't wait to start playing with it... it'll be in my hands on the 28th so help UPS doesn't do something retarded to it... heh... anyways... hope everyone has a wonderful holiday... w00t!!!
 
Back
Top