New system for buddy

PinataUT

Gawd
For my buddy (currently running a 400Mhz box. The "good" box is a Dell 1.3G 423 socket P4 w/ 128M RAM w/ some POS GeForce 2 (nice box when new, just a while back))...

Thanks. Hopefully not utterly misplaced in this forum.

PinataUT

ANTEC ALUMINUM SERIES SUPER LAN BOY MINI TOWER CASE with Clear Side Acrylic Window and FREE Case Carrying Strap - Retail
Item# N82E16811129145
$76.50

Sony Internal 16X DVD+/-RW / Double Layer Drive Black, Model DW-D22A-B2, OEM
Item# N82E16827131239
$63.99

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM
Item# N82E16820145416
$99.00

ASUS "P4P800 SE" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL
Item# N82E16813131484
$96.00

Antec 430W Power Supply, Model "TRUE430" -RETAIL
Item# N82E16817103908
$70.50

Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail
Item# N82E16819116171
$188.00

Software - Operating Systems
Microsoft Windows XP Professional With Service Pack 2 -OEM
Item# N82E16837102153
$143.00

Turtle Beach 6-Channel PCI Sound Card, Model "Santa Cruz" -OEM
Item# N82E16829118101
$36.00

Chaintech nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB GDDR3, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, AGP 8X, Model "SA6600G" -RETAIL
Item# N82E16814145107
$225.00

Kworld PCI TV Tuner Card, Model "STUDIO TV Terminator VS-LTV7131R, VS-LTV7131RF(W/FM)", -RETAIL
Item# N82E16815100129
$29.50

Total: 1027 at NewEgg

floppy and hard drive?

if you think youre gonna just bring over the hdd from the old one.. dont. hdd tech advances too and the newer ones are always faster than the older ones. since hte hdd is one of the biggest bottlenecks in performance, its always a good idea to get one:)

edit: one big problem: that 865 board will last about a week with a presscott, they just werent made to handle the voltage requirements.. yes, even if it says "presscott ready". the 875 boards are better anyway... but if you are intent on sticking to the 865, get a northwood (C) as it is better clock for clock at lower speeds (aka 3.0ghz) because of its shorter pipeline. once the two get past about 3.6ghz, the presscott will take over, but that takes some serious cooling. moral of the story: stick with a 3.0C, and get an 875 board.

edit 2: sony does not make the best drives.. at all. here is a better one: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-032&depa=0 well then. i stand corrected! (see below)

edit 3: i keep on thinkin of stuff:p that kworld TV tuner isnt going to give you the greatest of quality, you might wanna go for something a little higher up, like this: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=15-116-309&depa=0 i know it says that its compatable with MCE, but it is a hardware based decoder (not software) and it just needs a registry tweak work on XP pro

go with the sony, i just used it in a machine I built. It's top notch in every way, won gear of the year award in max pc, it includes two different color bezels, a great software suite including a full bundle of nero, and it rips/burns blazing fast.

Thanks!

Great feedback

No, we weren't planning on bringing the hd over - that was me being a dumb bunny and leaving it out.

Regarding MOBO, I probably should have loaded him with the ABIT IC7-G because $140 isn't too much to spend on a MOBO these days. I'll check into the one you recommended.

I'll also make sure he gets some AS-5 on whatever processor he winds up getting.

TV card - I'm clueless and never looked into them so thanks a ton for the tips.

SONY: yeah I will go with SONY drives.

My buddy said he was getting a DELL unless he built something. I figure I can help him put it together since I've done it a little more recently.

Thanks again guys.

PinataUT said:
Thanks!

Great feedback
no prob
cool.gif

No, we weren't planning on bringing the hd over - that was me being a dumb bunny and leaving it out.
ahh, ok. what about the floppy drive? they are still good to have around for things like BIOS flashes, and if you are getting an SATA HDD, youll need to install the drivers for the SATA controller during windows installation from a floppy

Regarding MOBO, I probably should have loaded him with the ABIT IC7-G because $140 isn't too much to spend on a MOBO these days. I'll check into the one you recommended.
i recomended a board with the 875 chipset, not a particular board.. honestly, i am an AMD guy, and i dont know a whole lot about p4 boards. i know lots of people love the P4C800 from Asus though.

I'll also make sure he gets some AS-5 on whatever processor he winds up getting.
AS5 or no, the Prescott (E) revision processors get real hot. youre much better off with a Northwood (C) processor as far as heat and performance goes. since your buddy was considering Dell, im assuming he aint a big Overclocking extreme cooling guy. Northwood will suit this need much better than a Prescott would.

TV card - I'm clueless and never looked into them so thanks a ton for the tips.
no prob, just make sure you get something with hardware encoding. the picture quality will be better and it will offload the work to the card from your CPU. better all around. if you are willing to spend some more money, Hauppage makes excellent cards, but that ATI card uses the same chip so it will have the same picture quality, but less features/support

not sure if this has been said...didnt read all....make sure u get two sticks of ram...so if u want 512mb get 2 x 256 therefor ure mobo will be able to run them dual channel! DOUBle the bandwith
l8er CRG

lithium726 said:
edit: one big problem: that 865 board will last about a week with a presscott, they just werent made to handle the voltage requirements.. yes, even if it says "presscott ready". the 875 boards are better anyway...

are you sure because my friend has been running a prescott cpu in an 865 board for nearly a year now with no problems

mc_P said:
are you sure because my friend has been running a prescott cpu in an 865 board for nearly a year now with no problems

I too have recently started to hear this. I ran a Prescott on an Intel D865PERL in my extra machine with no problems for awhile.

well, from everything ive heard from users here, the 865PE doesnt last long with a prescott so
confused.gif
just giving advice as best i know it... at this point it would be better to go with 875 anyhow, no?

Why not get a 3.0C instead of switching up the board, unless u like the prescott and dont care about the board... or if you want get the IC7 cuz i have the max3 with my prescott and overvolting it, and its fine.

I should be going N'wood to help him w/ heat I guess.

He's not a big OC guy. Techie who works w/ comps a lot, but not so much for home hobbying (2 kids - I got one and imagine my 'compter time' will continue to plummet)...

He was working on saving $1300 or so which I thought was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for him to blow on a computer these days. Prices at 'egg floored him (would me as well if I didn't keep lookin' as a matter of hobby...).

PinataUT

Back