New system build Vista OEM VS Retail

thomasward00

Limp Gawd
I'm building a new system from newegg, my question is if I buy the OEM version of Vista 64 and register it with my new system if the Mobo or video card dies in 6 months and or have to replace major parts will I have to buy a new copy of Vista each time I either replace or upgrade hardware?

Thanks in advance...

So basically if I go with the OEM version, install it on my brand new system and the Mobo craps out in a year but of course they don't make that model anymore, will microsoft allow me to replace the broken part? I'm not looking to install this OS on multiple systems, I just don't want to have to re-buy Vista if I have a major hardware failure that requires replacement of parts to fix the problem.

If you replace a component and your activation fails, you can call Microsoft, tell them a component failed and you replaced it, and they'll usually allow you to activate it again. I've done this multiple times.

Retail licenses include Microsoft support and the ability to install on different machines. If you're using an OEM copy, your support comes from the system builder (usually yourself), and the license is tied to the hardware on which it was first installed.

So basically if I go with the OEM version, install it on my brand new system and the Mobo craps out in a year but of course they don't make that model anymore, will microsoft allow me to replace the broken part?

Yes. If you read the linked thread you might've noticed in there the statement that if it's been a good while since the OS was last installed there's a good chance it'd even go through on automatic activation.

Technically/legally, the courtesy doesn't extend to scenario where you substantially upgrade. If, for example, a socket 939 AMD rig died and you replaced mobo/CPU/RAM with the latest and greatest Intel options, that ain't what it's meant to cover. Plenty enough people have got it installed and activated though, in such a scenario, merely by being careful about what info they offered up when talking to a call centre staffer.

In the case of a plain mobo replacement to go with other existing components and an inability to obtain an identical replacement unit, Microsoft not only WILL allow it but they are legally obligated to. they've made explicit statement that they are and will be interpreting the legal documentation to allow owner/builders adequate flexibility in such a scenario.

There was a case in England a while back where Activation call centre personell refused reactivation in such circumstances. The bloke who was refused mounted a legal challenge to the decision, and soon enough had not only his rig reactivated but also written formal apology from both Microsoft's senior management and Microsoft's legal representatives, together with a written commitment that Microsoft would ensure its call centre staff were more adequately trained and informed!

ive never had a problem activating oem installs. at worst you call microsoft and tell them you bought your key at a store (because we usually get them from newegg) and they have no problem with it. im still waiting to read/hear/see ANYONE who has had their oem key killed. it just doesn't happen.

So basically if I go with the OEM version, install it on my brand new system and the Mobo craps out in a year but of course they don't make that model anymore, will microsoft allow me to replace the broken part? I'm not looking to install this OS on multiple systems, I just don't want to have to re-buy Vista if I have a major hardware failure that requires replacement of parts to fix the problem.
I bought OEM XP copy and reinstalled it on the same machine when I updated the motherboard and CPU. I also reinstalled it and reactivated it on that same machine 3 or 4 times over the 4 years I owned it, just to clean out the junk. So yes, it works. You're just not supposed to do it, but they will never know.

OEM is cheaper, but you will receive no support from Microsoft. So if you damage the disc, they won't replace it for you. But there are other ways to replace the disc now days.

Back