• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New system, any suggestions? :x

luxfero

n00b
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
9
I've been running a pretty old rig for a while now and finally got a chance to get a new one. Here are the parts that I have chosen. You might have suggestions on comments on them. Maybe some aren't worth getting, or there are some parts that cost less but give just a bit slower performance and it's worth getting those. I appreciate any help and advice on this matter. :D

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 512k L2 Cache, Socket 939
Mobo: ASUS "A8N-SLI Deluxe" nForce4 SLI
VGA: BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC 256MB GDDR3/PCI-E/TV-Out/Dual-DVI
RAM: Corsair XMS (TWINX1024-3200C2PT) 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 [2-3-3-6]
HD1: Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM SATA
HD2: Western Digital 160GB 7,200RPM SATA
Sound: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value
Power: Antec 480W Power Supply with Blue LED Fan
Case: Lian-Li 12-Bay Silver Aluminum Case, Model "PC-65"
- LIAN-LI CD/DVD ROM Bezel Model "C-01A"
- LIAN-LI Floppy Bezel Model "F-01A"
DVD: Plextor 16X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW SATA Drive, Model PX-716SA/SW
Mouse: Logitech Blue Performance Optical Mouse PS2/ USB
Keyboard: Logitech Ultra X Keyboard PS2 104keys
Floppy: NEC 1.44MB Floppy Drive
CPU Cooling: ZALMAN Copper CPU Cooler, Model "CNPS7700-CU"
Floppy Cable: COOLMAX Floppy 12" Round Cable Transparent Black

Are there any parts that might not work together or might cause conflict? Also, is it worth getting OEM instead of Retail? I'm planning to buy these parts from www.newegg.com and www.monarchcomputer.com

Thanks again for any input!
 
im in the process of making my own computer too but my budget is smaller then yours heres what i got also you can reuse stuff form you old one fdd hasnt changed in years :)


case Lian Li PC65 $120

cpu AMD 64 3500+ / 939 winchester $280

psu ENERMAX EG475P-VE $84

mb Asus A8v $125

mem 1gb of? DDR xxx $150 - $300

hdd 2 Western 80gb/ 120gb $60 x 2 $80 x 2

dvd 5 cents

Cpu fan ZALMAN CNPS7000B $50
Good old arctic silver $10

Total $939 / 1129

anything not listed im using form my old one
 
I'm building from scratch, also I'm doing a PCI-Express build, not AGP. :x

"dvd 5 cents" lol?
 
If your not planning on doing SLI down the road, get an nForce 4 Ultra board to save some money. The 36.7gb raptors really aren't worth it. The 74GB ones are a much better deal and they don't cost much more than the 36.7 ones. Also for such a high end rig, I would suggest getting either an Antec Neopower 480w or an OCZ 520w Modstream. As for the sound card, they 2z doesn't cost much more, see if you can go for that. Lastly, if you are planning on overclocking, there is much better RAM you can get than that. If you are not going to overclock, a pack of Value RAM with CL 2.5 will serve you just as well and the difference will only be noted with benchmarks.
 
I would get a NForce4 Ultra, but the only ones that I thought of getting was MSI. I heard some nasty stories about them, plus I trust Asus. So I just went with it because it's an Asus. Won't 480w be enough for this rig? I won't need a great sound card, I just have two Bose speakers. This other guy suggested I stick with On-Board sound. :x

The price between 36.7gb and 74gb is 50$, I don't know. I got the 160gb additional space. I will mostly need the 10k rpm for OS and Program storage. :/
 
Back
Top