New Swiftech CPU Block: Apogee

I'm going to wait for some reviews on the block before I decided to purchase =). The reason I didn't purchase a storm block was because I didn't have any money, that, and it looks incredibly painful to clean if the block becomes corroded (which knowing my luck, would happen).

Yeah, definately gonna hold off until some reviews appear.

Double Jesus said:
man... and I just ordered a storm yesterday :/

I'm interested (probably along with everyone else) in seeing the real world tests like cathar states at XS.

Yeah I just put one in my system two days ago...and I have a lower flow system so the apogee would have helped...dammit. I should have known that there was a good reason for the price drop on the storm.

nikhsub1 said:
Exactly my point, I agree 100%. This is not a rag, just that most users don't care about the argument and the testbed etc.

I actually found that thread to be quite interesting. I should probably start hanging out at ProCooling more but I simply cant stand the way their forums are laid out, it makes absolutely no sense to me. I guess I like familiar setups...I wouldn't play CS when it first came out because it was much more difficult to find games than in Starsiege:Tribes.

DFI Daishi said:
dude, i think that what winston is saying is that he is happier that he is buying the APEX now that it includes this new block instead of buying it back when it came with the storm block, based on the numbers that swiftech is putting up.

Yes, that is what I was saying.

I didn't really 'hold-off' on buying it so to speak. It just so happened that I didn't have all the money and the site I wanted to order from went on backorder. They were on backorder and now they just ordered up the new kits, so I cannot wait for the performance results for this new kit!!

Exciting :D

I remember when the speculation as to Swiftech making the Storm was running rampant and I suggested the possibility that Swiftech would use injection molding rather than machining and I was met with T.N. saying that Swiftech didn't have the call and it wasn't feasable, was too expensive to implement, yadda, yadda, yadda...Well to that I'd like to point out this quote from their (Swiftech's) site;

The housing is injection molded out of Black Acetal. This process is key allow mass production of the water-block, and thus economies of scale.

Kinda makes you go "hmmm".

All that aside, it looks like an interesting block, I'd like to get one for testing but Swiftech are some rude people when it comes to review samples.

Well injection molding is NOT possible with the storm... the tubes are too small. For the Apogee, it is no issue. Les over at procooling is the performance simulations wizard... his sims show something quite different than Swiftech's results, take both with a grain of salt for now, if you are interested here are the graphs: http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showpost.php?p=149130&postcount=16

*edit* for those of you that go WTF when you look at graphs, the graph on the LEFT the higher value is better h(eff) and on the RIGHT the lower value is better.

nikhsub1 said:
Well injection molding is NOT possible with the storm... the tubes are too small. For the Apogee, it is no issue. Les over at procooling is the performance simulations wizard... his sims show something quite different than Swiftech's results, take both with a grain of salt for now, if you are interested here are the graphs: http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showpost.php?p=149130&postcount=16

*edit* for those of you that go WTF when you look at graphs, the graph on the LEFT the higher value is better h(eff) and on the RIGHT the lower value is better.

I tend more toward what Les is saying in his graphs. For Swiftech to post results off of the TVT simulator and then have fine print saying the Storm block does better in "other" situations is pure ADVERTISING PROPAGANDA. It kills me to see people spout off about how bad they feel buying the Storm block instead of Apogee, all based off this crap. At the least wait till Robotech or Phaestus or another reputable person does a review.

This is all about building up hype for a block that is much cheaper to manufacture, and, oh yeah, we will twist some numbers to make people think it is a better performer.

Personally I agree with Cathar one hundred percent concerning variables that arise using TC's mounted to an IHS...

Possibly, but there are still lots of G5's and down the road G7's to be had. :D

Actually I applaud Swiftech for their keen business sense in ending up with a recognizable product look in their new products while deep-sixing the Storm. :rolleyes: Got to hand it to those guys as back stabbing and guile always overcomes ingenuity and a quality product. Famous quote attributed to an anonymous group of former PC Tools, Quarterdeck, and Powerquest employee's. :D

Top Nurse said:
Got to hand it to those guys as back stabbing and guile always overcomes ingenuity and a quality product.

That is one of the most disgusting things I've read.... :mad:

As per Swifttechs current product on their main site, the Storm hasn't yet been discontinued, but the MCW600x serise has been stopped as per Swiftechs own statement;

"The APOGEE water-block succeeds our award winning MCW6000 series water-blocks with a quantum leap in performance, a universal installation design and competitive pricing resulting from economies of scale."

I would say that the Storm was pulled from the kits due to the price ($85 vs $50), that makes more $$$ for Swiftech and also sells more units.............. :D

But for now, if you want the Storm block, you'll have to order it by its self.

plywood99 said:
That is one of the most disgusting things I've read.... :mad:

Oh well... Call your doctor and get a Rx for some Valium and chill out. I call them the way I see them and it isn't the first company that I have made that comment about. :)

You have to admit that this whole deal has a certain aroma to it, no?

Back