New Swiftech CPU Block: Apogee

Looks like it might perform better than the Storm................ :eek: At least be looking at the charts..

As for looks........At least it performs, whick is more than I can say about companies stuff....... :D

Dillusion said:
looks just like the storm- and just as ugly
Good to know that the kwality of components is based on looks :rolleyes: Man are you blind if you think the base looks like the storm.

Bio-Hazard said:
Looks like it might perform better than the Storm................ :eek: At least be looking at the charts..

As for looks........At least it performs, whick is more than I can say about companies stuff....... :D

If it performs so great why did it make such a quick disappearance? I was out car shopping and missed all the fun.

......if it works as well as advertised...........i don't know what i'll say......

i halfway hope that this is someone's idea of revenge the day that they quit or got fired.

if it really does work as well as this.......i might even have to re-think my opintions of some A-C designs.........

i don't think that this is going to really work as well as these curves are showing, but if it does.......where will that leave all of the R&D for the jet impingement blocks have gotten the industry?

Looks like an overgrown AquaXtreme to me, without the accelerator nozzle. I'd hold off on buying it until some real performance data hit the streets.

Looks pretty, but does it work? From just looking at it I would take a G4 or G5 over it any day.

haelduksf said:
Looks like an overgrown AquaXtreme to me, without the accelerator nozzle. I'd hold off on buying it until some real performance data hit the streets.
What's wrong with the AquaXtremes? Isn't their performance the best things next to the Storm?

nikhsub1 said:
Good to know that the kwality of components is based on looks :rolleyes: Man are you blind if you think the base looks like the storm.

Looks over performance for me....in everything

man... and I just ordered a storm yesterday :/

I'm interested (probably along with everyone else) in seeing the real world tests like cathar states at XS.

CoW]8(0) said:
What's wrong with the AquaXtremes? Isn't their performance the best things next to the Storm?

Yup. I was under the impression, however, that this was because of the accelerator nozzles (the more restrictice middle plate produced the best results), the input being directly over the center of the CPU, and because the pin matrix on the bottom was so small, more like an RBX than a Swiftech pin-matrix idea. For them to make the pins bigger, and have the input jet off-center, and get better results, doesn't make sense to me.

It looks like that design might actually be suited for adapting it to a TEC, interesting...the Swiftech performance charts show that the Apogee is better than the storm, I will wait for numbers from Systemcooling.com or procooling though before I make my own judgement.

Top Nurse said:
If it performs so great why did it make such a quick disappearance? I was out car shopping and missed all the fun.
Have you ever heard of someone posting something to the web to early by mistake.............. :eek: Like you are never wrong................ :D
I would look to see a offical release early in the week like Monday or Tuesday.
And if you look at what I posted, I said by looking at the charts ................ :D So get a life.

Bio-Hazard said:
Have you ever heard of someone posting something to the web to early by mistake... Like you are never wrong...
I would look to see a offical release early in the week like Monday or Tuesday.
And if you look at what I posted, I said by looking at the charts. So get a life.

Early by a manufacturer....no :rolleyes: Early by a manufacturer AND distributor....no way! I may not always be right, but I am never wrong. :D Personally I think you take my posts too personal as I wasn't even commenting on your post. :p

However, just to play the Devil's advocate here doesn't it seem odd to you that a company who develops "testing procedures" are the ones who ultimately proclaim them to be the standards by which all others are to be held against? Sorry, but just because their selling doesn't mean I'm buying. :D

BTW, we should get together to do reviews as it would be kind of like those two guys that are theater critics.

Why was it pulled so fast?

Well...if we think about it...

Just about every sub-distributor of Swiftech just loaded up on the Storm blocks...which cost more and *may* be worse performing if even by only a little margin. Keep in mind how 'new' the Storm blocks are. If one of my suppliers offered a top end block and then shortly after I loaded up (an expensive proposition) on that block released another that supposedly outperforms it and costs less. I would quite simply let the supplier have it both barrels. Why do you think the prices on the Storm have been dropping so quickly? The dealers are trying to lower or even liquidate their current stock to make room for (and recoup their money) the new block.

That block looks like it would be easier/less expensive to manufacture due to the Storm having the jet impingement. My guess is that when Swiftech was working with Cathar on the Storms that another design in the works made a 'break through' and was finalized.

Gotta let your distributors recoup their money....THEN you release the 'even newer' block. Otherwise its suicide in most marketplaces.

Seems to me that Swiftech bought the Storm specifically to use some of it's designs on what they already had in the oven. I hope Cathar had a deal where he got commisions on use of even part of the block... Classic bait and switch. :D

Erasmus354 said:
It looks like that design might actually be suited for adapting it to a TEC, interesting...the Swiftech performance charts show that the Apogee is better than the storm, I will wait for numbers from Systemcooling.com or procooling though before I make my own judgement.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I doubt you'll see performance gains when using single core but definitely when using dual core or TEC.

Storm blocks targeted the middle of the cpu thus cooling it efficiently and weren't as good when dual cores were released or for TEC use. This block has filled that gap although a better STORM would do a lot better than that.

mohammedtaha said:
That's exactly what I'm thinking. I doubt you'll see performance gains when using single core but definitely when using dual core or TEC.

Dual-core CPU's look just like slightly largish single-core CPU's. The Storm cools them just fine.

Cathar said:
Dual-core CPU's look just like slightly largish single-core CPU's. The Storm cools them just fine.
so.....can you make any insider comments that don't violate your NDA with swiftech or your own principles of professionalism?

any comments at all at what techniques you are and are not seeing implimented in that block, even just based on the pics?

if you look at their APEX kit, it now comes with the Apogee instead of the Storm...

EDIT: actually now that i look, all the kits now come with the Apogee!

Budwise said:
if you look at their APEX kit, it now comes with the Apogee instead of the Storm...

EDIT: actually now that i look, all the kits now come with the Apogee!
holy shit! they have discontinued the APEX kit, and are now only selling this new APEX ultra with the apogee block!

Looks good to me.. I'm not sure what all the big fuss is about, Another well performing block on the market is a good thing.. If it happens to perform better than the storm, great. If not.. so be it. I Just got a storm block and it is damn impressive, The objective of any company is to keep putting quality products on the market and convincing us consumers to buy them. I'm sure I will really like my new Storm, just like the RBX I'm using on another rig. Each block that comes out form respectable companies seems to be better than their preceeding models. I've never used the sellers testing to base my purchases on, and this new block will be no different.

I think it looks good. I'm glad I held off buying an APEX kit until now, looks like it's gonna pay off for me :)

Aronj66 said:
Looks good to me.. I'm not sure what all the big fuss is about...
Cathar should not have posted that link... the fuss is the testing methods and equipment. No doubt it is a good block, that is not the arguement and no one here would be interested.

nikhsub1 said:
Cathar should not have posted that link... the fuss is the testing methods and equipment. No doubt it is a good block, that is not the arguement and no one here would be interested.
dude, i think that what winston is saying is that he is happier that he is buying the APEX now that it includes this new block instead of buying it back when it came with the storm block, based on the numbers that swiftech is putting up.

i highly doubt that many people bothered to go and read all of the linked thread anyway. it's simply not that accessable to those who don't design waterblocks or opperate test beds.

i can sort of understand what both sides are saying, however i don't have any informed opinion on the subject. i can't offer usefull commentary on what is a good testing/review method that will help guide people towards selecting a block that is well suited to their application. i suspect that most other readers on this forum are in the same boat. most of us are not "pros" at computer thermal management: we are users, enthusiasts and hobbysts.

DFI Daishi said:
dude, i think that what winston is saying is that he is happier that he is buying the APEX now that it includes this new block instead of buying it back when it came with the storm block, based on the numbers that swiftech is putting up.

i highly doubt that many people bothered to go and read all of the linked thread anyway. it's simply not that accessable to those who don't design waterblocks or opperate test beds.

i can sort of understand what both sides are saying, however i don't have any informed opinion on the subject. i can't offer usefull commentary on what is a good testing/review method that will help guide people towards selecting a block that is well suited to their application. i suspect that most other readers on this forum are in the same boat. most of us are not "pros" at computer thermal management: we are users, enthusiasts and hobbysts.
Exactly my point, I agree 100%. This is not a rag, just that most users don't care about the argument and the testbed etc.

nikhsub1 said:
This is not a rag, just that most users don't care about the argument and the testbed etc.
Agreed but it is always fun to read BillA's posts. :) Someone should post critcal questions about testing radiators to fuel some fun ;)

nikhsub1 said:
Exactly my point, I agree 100%. This is not a rag, just that most users don't care about the argument and the testbed etc.
well, he kind of posted that thread in response to my specific request for his opinion of this new block.

maybe i shouldn't have asked, because i can't fully understand the answer, but at least i know that the issue is not cut and dried.

he seems to avoid commenting on other people's blocks to the maximum extent possible around here.

Back