New Star Wars Rogue One Trailer

Feels like I'm watching it through a dirty pane of glass. Is there an authoritative/official link to that video? Comicbook.com re-encoded it (shittily at that) to place their URL in the bottom right.

More excited about this than I was ever for Force Awakens! Actual Star WARS battles! HOT DAMN!

Feels like I'm watching it through a dirty pane of glass. Is there an authoritative/official link to that video? Comicbook.com re-encoded it (shittily at that) to place their URL in the bottom right.

Yeah, it does seem like a piss poor quality transfer from old stock more than intentional grittiness. I wonder how much is the renecode versus actual footage from the sections seen.

Well, so far all of the copies I can find of it look like crap

Not gunna lie, the visuals give me an erection.

But one thing I would LOVE to see is a 300-style Star Wars movie told from the perspective of the Empire, where the Jedi and terrorist rebels are shown to be the bad guys! After all, we only ever hear the story told from the side of the rebels, which means that this could have just been propaganda all along.

For example, lets say for the sake of argument that Al Qaeda or ISIS would probably not view themselves as the "bad guys" and instead, just like the rebels and jedi, would see themselves as religious freedom fighters fighting back against the immoral Western empire. A story they tell about our American and NATO forces fighting them would surely paint us as the embodiment of pure evil, even though that's not the reality, but merely a perspective from which they tell their story.

But the exact same story can be told from the perspective of the "Western Empire", where they aren't religious freedom fighters, but ignorant bloodthirsty savage backwards terrorists that want to take away our freedom. Its all the same characters in play, but would be a VERY different story from a patriotic American storytellers perspective, just as it would be from a patriotic Imperialist perspective in the Star Wars universe.

IMO, this would be really refreshing and compensate for the boredom of seeing the unquestionably good rebels fight the space-Nazi empire's deathstar for the umpteenth time.

#TheEmpireDidNothingWrong

But one thing I would LOVE to see is a 300-style Star Wars movie told from the perspective of the Empire, where the Jedi and terrorist rebels are shown to be the bad guys! After all, we only ever hear the story told from the side of the rebels, which means that this could have just been propaganda all along.

For example, lets say for the sake of argument that Al Qaeda or ISIS would probably not view themselves as the "bad guys" and instead, just like the rebels and jedi, would see themselves as religious freedom fighters fighting back against the immoral Western empire. A story they tell about our American and NATO forces fighting them would surely paint us as the embodiment of pure evil, even though that's not the reality, but merely a perspective from which they tell their story.

But the exact same story can be told from the perspective of the "Western Empire", where they aren't religious freedom fighters, but ignorant bloodthirsty savage backwards terrorists that want to take away our freedom. Its all the same characters in play, but would be a VERY different story from a patriotic American storytellers perspective, just as it would be from a patriotic Imperialist perspective in the Star Wars universe.

IMO, this would be really refreshing and compensate for the boredom of seeing the unquestionably good rebels fight the space-Nazi empire's deathstar for the umpteenth time.

I think EP3 tried to do something like that and failed miserably

BTW my faith in humanity is restored after watching K2SO being the comic relief

I think EP3 tried to do something like that and failed miserably
I dunno, I think it was just a "how the evil empire came to be", but Anakin was clearly the bad guy at the end, Yoda still essentially a mini-green Jesus, and so on. What I'd like is a true reversal, similar to what they did with Maleficent, where the story was told from a completely different perspective to where the evil witch is actually the victim and protagonist, rather than the pure evil villain.

Another "Destroy the death star" Star wars movie? How many is that now, 4?

4 by my count. But it is stuff that you know and recognize! You must consume and enjoy citizen! Consume and enjoy. The apparent re shoots aren't confidence inspiring nor the recent political references/rumors. The original trailer damn near looked like the same mary sue story-line of Force Awakens.

Reactions: dgz
like this
The original trailer damn near looked like the same mary sue story-line of Force Awakens.
Member when Rey with no education or training became a force master in about three minutes, and nearly defeated a highly trained top sith lord, and also happened to be fluent in droid, and also wookie, and the best pilot in the galaxy, and an even better engineering than Han on his own ship, and also despite being tiny was an awesome martial artist, and crazy good gymnast and so on and so forth... I member!

Plot Spoiler:

The plans to the Death Star are stolen. Later on, using the plans to find its weakness, the Death Star is destroyed.

Save your money folks.

They are trying to recreate the feeling of the original since this takes place during that time by recording the trailer on VHS. :)
On a serious note, the final movie production quality was so much higher on Guardians of the Galaxy than it was on the trailer, as they just weren't finished yet. So I wonder if crappy video quality is a way to give people a preview without them noticing that production still has a way to go to polish up the movie's visuals...

On a serious note, the final movie production quality was so much higher on Guardians of the Galaxy than it was on the trailer, as they just weren't finished yet. So I wonder if crappy video quality is a way to give people a preview without them noticing that production still has a way to go to polish up the movie's visuals...

Not done yet? The movie is out in a few weeks. It would be one thing if this was the first trailer for a movie that is out next year but this is the last trailer for a movie that needs to be in the process of getting boxed up and shipped out in the next few days to get to theaters in time for the release date.

54190408.jpg

If you want that kind of perspective, you need to watch the Clone Wars TV show, the one that is canon from 2008 and actually done by Lucas.

Midway thru the show and into the final seasons, they begin to show the politics and viewpoint of the Confederacy. You then start to realize, they really are NOT the bad guys but their leadership is. All the planet's that joined in the Confederacy were conned by Count Dooku and subsequently General Grievous just like the Republic was.

Even though the confederacy was squashed with an iron fist by the Republic and then raped by the Empire soon after, story-wise all of it carried forward into the movies. If you follow any of the comics and books coming out recently, a few previous Confederate and Republic characters make re-appearances. Even Saw Gerrera (Forest Whitaker in this very movie) was a major character in Clone Wars and is now making a re-appearance.

Last edited:
If you want that kind of perspective, you need to watch the Clone Wars TV show, the one that is canon from 2008 and actually done by Lucas.
Will definitely check that out, thanks, but that still just sounds like the bad guys are still the bad guys, and the good guys still the good guys. I'd like to see some 300-style propaganda story telling where the Jedi are portrayed as religious terrorists that rip children away from their parents in order to brain-wash them into giving up all emotions to be the perfect killers. Where the Empire are just good law abiding citizens making the world a better place, but these religious nuts and rebels from the desert (kinda like ISIS) occasionally attack them for no reason and plant bombs on their iconic buildings, and when the Empire attacks them its in self-defense against the global terrorism of these religious terrorist Jedi.

And if there are any bad guys in the empire, then again its just more religious terrorists, and the universe would be better without them as all the death and suffering is just based on their power plays against one another at the cost of all the non-force regular people that just want to live their lives. After all, they are basically like feudal knights where might makes right, appointing themselves to positions of power and influence simply because no one can stop them. Sure, just like King Arthur's Knights of the Round Table, they would portray themselves as heroes, but to the regular "peasants" they would consider their lords and nobles as anything but.

That's the full on reversal story telling that would give me a raging one, and I think it would be so relevant today where people's perspectives can differ so tremendously based on whose story they are listening to. :)

Will definitely check that out, thanks, but that still just sounds like the bad guys are still the bad guys, and the good guys still the good guys. I'd like to see some 300-style propaganda story telling where the Jedi are portrayed as religious terrorists that rip children away from their parents in order to brain-wash them into giving up all emotions to be the perfect killers. Where the Empire are just good law abiding citizens making the world a better place, but these religious nuts and rebels from the desert (kinda like ISIS) occasionally attack them for no reason and plant bombs on their iconic buildings, and when the Empire attacks them its in self-defense against the global terrorism of these religious terrorist Jedi.

And if there are any bad guys in the empire, then again its just more religious terrorists, and the universe would be better without them as all the death and suffering is just based on their power plays against one another at the cost of all the non-force regular people that just want to live their lives. After all, they are basically like feudal knights where might makes right, appointing themselves to positions of power and influence simply because no one can stop them. Sure, just like King Arthur's Knights of the Round Table, they would portray themselves as heroes, but to the regular "peasants" they would consider their lords and nobles as anything but.

That's the full on reversal story telling that would give me a raging one, and I think it would be so relevant today where people's perspectives can differ so tremendously based on whose story they are listening to. :)
I get where you are coming from. I'm not sure you will get exactly that from an actual licensed movie though. There have been a few Legend's/Extended Universe non-cannon things just like that, especially a few stories regarding the Emperor's Guard who were neutral force users. I highly suggest you start with Youtube, then start searching Star Wars Fan Films. I came across one that was about an Elite Stormtrooper doing what he felt was necessary for the Galaxy to bring peace.

Here's another that might fit your idea.

I like how you see the other half of this saga. For everyone else, if you take the Star Wars Universe and it's collective stories both canon and non-canon, you will start to realize the whole saga isn't about good versus evil, that the lines aren't as clear cut as they are in the movies, and that there is good and evil on both sides. The whole thing is really about finding the middle ground between 2 extreme viewpoints. Sometimes, one side yanks too hard and throws the universe out of balance for a thousand years, then out of nowhere the other side retaliates and throws things back into their court for another thousand. It's really quite amazing.

Last edited:

I am not sure if that is good or bad that you have zero clue as to what this movie is about. This movie is not about destroying the death star directly. This movie takes place shortly before a new hope. This is how they got the plans for the first death star to be able to attack it. So they won't destroy it in this movie, unless they show a remake of the scene where Luke blows it up.

The Emperor does not share your optimistic appraisal of the situation. They better double their efforts.

They better more than double. I know they shot a scene for the first Avengers something like 3 days before it hit theaters, but that was just a small after credit scene. Very different from finishing effects and everything right up to the ship date. This isn't a game, they can't release a patch a few days later :)

I am not sure if that is good or bad that you have zero clue as to what this movie is about. This movie is not about destroying the death star directly. This movie takes place shortly before a new hope. This is how they got the plans for the first death star to be able to attack it. So they won't destroy it in this movie, unless they show a remake of the scene where Luke blows it up.

They better more than double. I know they shot a scene for the first Avengers something like 3 days before it hit theaters, but that was just a small after credit scene. Very different from finishing effects and everything right up to the ship date. This isn't a game, they can't release a patch a few days later :)

This movie takes place before episode 4 and shows how they stole the plans to the Death Star.

4 by my count. But it is stuff that you know and recognize! You must consume and enjoy citizen! Consume and enjoy. The apparent re shoots aren't confidence inspiring nor the recent political references/rumors. The original trailer damn near looked like the same mary sue story-line of Force Awakens.

All the Mary Sue stuff calling was sort of silly considering no one said the same when some farm boy spent 5 min with a jedi and was able to shot a flee off a ticks back to destroy the DS in the first movie. Perhaps if the writers had decided to make the final battle a pod race all would have been well. ;)

Member when Rey with no education or training became a force master in about three minutes, and nearly defeated a highly trained top sith lord, and also happened to be fluent in droid, and also wookie, and the best pilot in the galaxy, and an even better engineering than Han on his own ship, and also despite being tiny was an awesome martial artist, and crazy good gymnast and so on and so forth... I member!

Well, in all fairness the said Sith Lord was just blown by a wookie bowcaster right in the stomach. He should not have been able to even walk let alone fight. But yeah, mary sues are fine by me in general but they went a bit overboard with Rey.

Well, in all fairness the said Sith Lord was just blown by a wookie bowcaster right in the stomach. He should not have been able to even walk let alone fight. But yeah, mary sues are fine by me in general but they went a bit overboard with Rey.

Some of that can be explained though. She lives in a place where many traders go through so she would be used to different languages. That is like saying it is bullshit that somebody that grew up in a city and worked in a family shop all their life were they had English, Mexican, Italian and Asian customers would know how to speak a few different languages. At the same time growing up poor she would have had to figure out how to engineer her own stuff so could have came up with ways to work around different issues that the average person with other options would have came up with a "better" fix for. Example any of us that had a hole in a coolant line would fix the line. Where somebody out in the boonies might use some redneck engineering. You also would learn the parts of various ships to know what to salvage out of them and what to leave so that would help you learn some about the makeup of a ship and what role different parts play. Mix that with the fact that she had an interest in the topic. Wouldn't make you a all knowing engineer but it would give you some information to allow you to fix certain issues or work around certain issues based on the background they gave her. Again looking at where she lives, it isn't the nicest of places so you would expect her to know how to defend herself, you would also expect her to be familiar with using her small frame to get up into various parts of a ship to get parts.

I don't really think they went too overboard, I think many people are coming up with too many reasons to hate a female. Most of the stuff she is good at can be at a glace explained by where she grew up. Sure they gave her a lot of skills, but they also had her grow up in a place that would explain some stuff a reasonable amount.

The sith lord could have repelled the blast with its saber or even "freeze" it like at the start of the movie.

The sith lord could have repelled the blast with its saber or even "freeze" it like at the start of the movie.

Right after killing his own father? As much of a badass as he tries to be I believe he was pretty torn emotionally at that second, certainly not paying attention to his surroundings or warnings by the force.

All the Mary Sue stuff calling was sort of silly considering no one said the same when some farm boy spent 5 min with a jedi and was able to shot a flee off a ticks back to destroy the DS in the first movie. Perhaps if the writers had decided to make the final battle a pod race all would have been well. ;)

Luke was shown having basic piloting skills, he wasn't good with a saber at all in the first movie and he wasn't an apparent master ship mechanic. She is a mary sue character and it was way way overboard. Saying the criticism is just sexism doesn't make it any less true. Now, maybe she isn't what she appeared to be on the surface character wise. That was the only real question I had at the end of the movie. Who was she really (a Rey of light?) and what was going on politically to explain all the new stuff going on. The rest of the movie was mostly fan service, "do you remember" type stuff as they remade the first 3 movies into a new movie for a new generation or something. Including a chrome stormtrooper chick that is the new Boba Fett and an emo teen bad guy. Safe and bland.

Luke was shown having basic piloting skills, he wasn't good with a saber at all in the first movie and he wasn't an apparent master ship mechanic. She is a mary sue character and it was way way overboard. Saying the criticism is just sexism doesn't make it any less true. Now, maybe she isn't what she appeared to be on the surface character wise. That was the only real question I had at the end of the movie. Who was she really (a Rey of light?) and what was going on politically to explain all the new stuff going on. The rest of the movie was mostly fan service, "do you remember" type stuff as they remade the first 3 movies into a new movie for a new generation or something. Including a chrome stormtrooper chick that is the new Boba Fett and an emo teen bad guy. Safe and bland.

Basic piloting skills? He was supposed to be very skilled at flying also. He was introduced as the best pilot in the outer rim territory. They brought up a few times how great of a pilot he was supposed to be. That is why he was sent out to fight the death star because he was so skilled that he could bulls-eye a womp rat which is about the same size as the vent. Which means that not only was he then the best pilot in the territory but also the best shot in a fighter also.

Back