New SSDs

Verass

Weaksauce
So I was wondering if there were any rumors about new SSDs coming out between now and January.
I plan on building a new system in January and prefer to buy all new components. So my dilemma is if I should buy Samsung 840 pro (sale) now or wait for something new to come out:confused:

for the most part current ssds are at the limits of sata3. until sata4 i wouldnt expect ssds to get much faster.

They will, however, probably get cheaper between now and Jan 2014 so I might be inclined to wait.

for the most part current ssds are at the limits of sata3. until sata4 i wouldnt expect ssds to get much faster.

If you meant SATA II then that's fine, but current SSDs do not saturate SATA III throughput limits by themselves without RAID configuration. Furthermore, if you want to go past SATA III there's also PCIe x4+ (either via SAS PCIe RAID controller or via PCIe SSDs).

I just got an 840 Pro for a SFF system I'm building, gotta say I'm very impressed. I've been using Intel 520 and 330s exclusively, but the 840 Pro is a beast. Also the Samsung Magician software is great and automagically tunes the OS which can be a pain.

I got it on sale and I'm considering buying more.

If you meant SATA II then that's fine, but current SSDs do not saturate SATA III throughput limits by themselves without RAID configuration. Furthermore, if you want to go past SATA III there's also PCIe x4+ (either via SAS PCIe RAID controller or via PCIe SSDs).

If you raid then you're using two sata3 ports. So you could hit 1000-1100 read/write. How many drives out now hit 550 read/write? They can't get any faster then that on sata3. The max a drive could hit would be 600, but with overhead you're not going to much higher then 550ish.

Hmm wonder if that Samsung deal is still active.. Gotta check the speed difference vs my OCZ Agility

They will, however, probably get cheaper between now and Jan 2014 so I might be inclined to wait.

Dragon is right. Definitely wait if you go Samsung 840. The 840's use smaller die size flash chips that should end up being cheaper per GB than the chips in the 830. That should result in 840 prices being cheaper than the equivalent sized 830 drives. There's a premium on the 840 right now because it's shiny new but it shouldn't last.

So I was wondering if there were any rumors about new SSDs coming out between now and January.
I plan on building a new system in January and prefer to buy all new components. So my dilemma is if I should buy Samsung 840 pro (sale) now or wait for something new to come out:confused:

As others have said, unless you are building the full system now or soon, there is no point in buying the SSD now.

Sales come and go. There will be another sale on the Samsung 840 Pro between now and January. You may as well wait until closer to January - At least wait until November or December, where you can get in on Christmas and Boxing Day sales. You're pretty much guarenteed to have a high end SSD (840 Pro, OCZ Vector, M500, etc) on sale during that time frame.

Besides, even though we think there won't be anything new between now and then, we don't actually know for certain.

Back