New SSD install in HP laptop

smokin9

Limp Gawd
OK I need some help from some of the experts out there.... I posted this is HP forums but got no help.

I've purchased a new SSD and have been trying to install in a G7-1219WM. I get the install to start and it copies all the files but as soon as the files are copied and the computer restarts it just hangs with a blinking cursor. Is this laptop compatiable with SSD's?

I'm staring from a USB key with windows on it so windows creates partition and all right from start up. Not sure why the drive is not booting up. I've also tried cloning the hdd and it also did the same thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

What version of windows are you installing? Windows 10? Are you trying to install x86 or x64 version?

Which SSD did you install in the unit?

There are numerous issues described online with regard to installing Windows 10 on E450 APU based AMD notebooks.

What version of windows are you installing? Windows 10? Are you trying to install x86 or x64 version?

Windows 10 x64

Which SSD did you install in the unit?

There are numerous issues described online with regard to installing Windows 10 on E450 APU based AMD notebooks.

Its a 120 GB Corsair Force LS.

I put the old hdd back in and upgraded win7 that was installed with the PC to win10 with no problems. So right now win10 is loaded on the laptop.I just can't for the life of me figure out why the SSD doesnt want to finish the install and gets stuck at the blinking cursor screen once all the files are copied.

Windows 10 x64

Its a 120 GB Corsair Force LS.

I put the old hdd back in and upgraded win7 that was installed with the PC to win10 with no problems. So right now win10 is loaded on the laptop.I just can't for the life of me figure out why the SSD doesnt want to finish the install and gets stuck at the blinking cursor screen once all the files are copied.

I'm guessing it's a chipset drive issue, not an issue with the SSD. It's possible that the Windows 10 installation lacks the necessary drivers to deal with your notebook's APU. You should look for windows 10 chipset drivers for your notebook and see about either slipstreaming them into the win10 iso before you setup your flashdrive, or see if you can add the drivers to a folder on the drive and then install those drivers during the initial windows setup.

I'm guessing it's a chipset drive issue, not an issue with the SSD. It's possible that the Windows 10 installation lacks the necessary drivers to deal with your notebook's APU. You should look for windows 10 chipset drivers for your notebook and see about either slipstreaming them into the win10 iso before you setup your flashdrive, or see if you can add the drivers to a folder on the drive and then install those drivers during the initial windows setup.

I might try this. About the only thing I have yet to try but it that was the case when I cloned the hdd to the ssd wouldnt have it booted up?

That depends. What software did you use to clone it?

Precisely. For Windows I like using True Image (pro) to simply perform a backup/restore instead of 'online' cloning. If the new SSD is bigger, and you have access to Linux, a dd clone is also awesome, if somewhat time consuming depending on the size of the old hard drive.

Hooked up both drives to my PC and did a 1 to 1.

What is the size of the hard drive you are cloning from?

Can you try cloning again using the free Macrium Reflect? I would trust it more than Easeus, but that's from my impressions of Easeus software years ago when they were fairly poor Chinese clones -- I believe they've gotten better.

I might try this. About the only thing I have yet to try but it that was the case when I cloned the hdd to the ssd wouldnt have it booted up?

Not necessarily. I imagine the original HDD was a 512 Byte sector drive and the SSD is configured for 4KB sector alignment. Cloning from the original to the new drive may not work.

Not necessarily. I imagine the original HDD was a 512 Byte sector drive and the SSD is configured for 4KB sector alignment. Cloning from the original to the new drive may not work.

Great point! That's one of the reasons I prefer a backup/restore tool like True Image to direct cloning; it will correctly partition the new drive and then restore in an OS-aware manner.

I've never seen that. You could end up with less than optimal alignment, but it still should boot if it's cloned correctly. Every Microsoft OS after Windows XP creates aligned partitions. So it should haven't bad alignment unless HP went out of their way to mess it up.

Great point! That's one of the reasons I prefer a backup/restore tool like True Image to direct cloning; it will correctly partition the new drive and then restore in an OS-aware manner.
I haven't tested recently, but when I tested a variety of disc cloning programs several years ago True Image did not restore to aligned partitions. One or two programs would keep the alignment of the first partition of the drive, but none of the other partitions. Clonezilla was the only tool that kept partition alignment for all the partitions from the source.

Not sure where I should go from here. Someone from the HP forums mentioned that I would need to get the exact same size ssd as hdd that was installed. I've never heard of that before.

I've tested the ssd in a lenovo laptop and it worked fine. Only thing that I found different is when win10 setup the partitions when installed in the lenovo laptop it created 4 different partition as where the hp only created 2.

change the sata setting to raid or ahci in bios.
I ran into this with an acer laptop, took a bios update to allow it to be enabled then it loaded and booted fine.
Its an amd chipset/bios/driver combo problem.

Not sure where I should go from here. Someone from the HP forums mentioned that I would need to get the exact same size ssd as hdd that was installed. I've never heard of that before.
Some disk cloning software can't clone from a larger to a smaller drive if there is a larger, but only partially used, partition on the source drive. This is easily fixed by using a gparted live CD/USB to resize the partition on the source HDD to be something smaller than what will fit on the SSD.

Win7 Home Premium?

Download the latest Win10 install media onto a USB flash drive from Microsoft using their Win10 media tool...it allows a Win 7, 8, or 8.1 key when performing a fresh install.

...just make sure you download any critical drivers you'll need to at least get internet access, like LAN or Wi-Fi prior to the Win10 install process. You can create your own subdirectory on the Win10 install flash drive and put them there.

Last edited:
Back