New SSD article is up on Anandtech

Reading some of the comments posted is interesting. Looks like Anand is still looking into some know issues that he didnt write about in the article itself.
As always, it pretty much explains the whos and whats of the SSD world.
And to sum it up, BUY one if you have the cash, before you make any other upgrade.
Buy depending on the capacity you need to put your OS and Apps and maybe games onto it.
Movies and music can go an regular HDD.

Looks like intel has another company it will want to squish (since AMD isnt squishing :D )

very nice review from anand, as always.
And basically the G3 drives will need 4 improvements: price (of course), power gates (for less usage esp. at idle), 6Gbps (for improved reads), and a high limit on seq writes (since it seems/is artificially limited, and sometimes it matters).

/me doesn't cancel his G2 order.

Anand's article made me check prices on Intel G2s, but alas, they're still a bit too expensive for my tastes. I wholeheartedly believe the SSD experience will make SSD users abhor OS use on a traditional hard disk; I've used them on-and-off at work before but not for general, personal computer usage for extended periods of time. I guess I'm just not spoiled by SSDs...yet. ;)

Anand's article made me check prices on Intel G2s, but alas, they're still a bit too expensive for my tastes. I wholeheartedly believe the SSD experience will make SSD users abhor OS use on a traditional hard disk; I've used them on-and-off at work before but not for general, personal computer usage for extended periods of time. I guess I'm just not spoiled by SSDs...yet. ;)

You havent lived :p:cool:

yea reading the article made me regret even more holding out on the G2s. I shoudl have gotten the Vertex with the newegg CB with paypal bonus :( Oh well, guess I'll just wait out to buy a 160G2

yea reading the article made me regret even more holding out on the G2s. I shoudl have gotten the Vertex with the newegg CB with paypal bonus :( Oh well, guess I'll just wait out to buy a 160G2

Yea, I agree with you. Even a G1 would have been a good choice with those instant rebates.

Im going to be getting a G2 as soon as they come back in stock, I might need to buy two though, I have a ton of applications.

Back