new speakers

M1K3

n00b
im gona get some new speakers soon.
i was lookin at the z-560's by logitech and they looked pretty good.
what would u guys reccomend
i dont want to spend over $200
uhh....?

For $200.....

If you're big on bass: Logitech z560
If you want decent bass, and decent mids and highs: Logitech z5300

Not sure if you can find them still, but at Circuit City the z-680s were only 200. But I would be weary of the Z-560s they definetly have some underlying sub issues. I for one have a broken set, and I am sure if you ask around you will find a bunch more.

If you want decent bass, and decent mids and highs: Logitech z5300

hey what do we mean by decent bass? do we mean vibrating the room bass or boom boom boom bass

Decent probably means effective, but not overbearing- you will get enough, but not too much bass.

ey man, don't diss the z5300s. :). i have them and they sound good for 150 bux. i have it hooked up to a sound blaster audigy nx through my laptop. i like it and it shakes windows and stuff... enough to make my mom and sisters complain :D. anyway, the z5300s is a great value for 150 bux. it's cheap at ebuyer.com...

- john

mc_P said:
hey what do we mean by decent bass? do we mean vibrating the room bass or boom boom boom bass

Logitech is renowned for having that "BOOM BOOOM BOOM" bass, and "vibrating the room bass" is pretty much the same thing. It isn't tight bass, that's for sure.

Sure didn't hit that mark with the Z-5300's.

ey man, don't diss the z5300s. . i have them and they sound good for 150 bux.

For $150, I'm sure no one is complaining.

As for the Z-560's, I've had nothing but bad experiences with them. 2 broken sets with a 3 month period between receiving the RMA set, which broke down also. Other people have had good experiences with them, but the sound that came out of them was not to my liking.

You have so many options for speakers at your disposal, take a look at the other companies. Creative, Klipsch, hell, even look into some studio monitors. I just picked up some decent 2.1 Altec Lansings for about $20 (Gotta love people moving out of dorms).

so for a person who listens to alot of techno and dance music 5300s are a must?

lol shit i meant 560s...... so would they be better for dance and techno?

z560 ROCKS with trance music. However, thats like the only genre they really rock with. Their sound is quite colored and they only perform decent with rock and other genres where the instruments should rather sound realistic. (this is no problem with electronic music for obvious reasons) As duck-bot says the bass is kind of bloated cheap sounding and well.. not tight. But note that this is only in the upper bass region, in the real lows the sub shines, it goes really low wich is a very big plus for trance music listeners, and it literally shakes everything not-solid-constructed around you when you crank it up. (it delivers low bass much better than any other speakers in the neighboorhood of the price). The highs tend to sound a tad harsh with some material, noticably in vocals.. But the general sound of the system depends on the material, some material sounds cheap while other sounds simply amazing in all aspects. Actually im having a hard time figuring out if it is my mp3s (very high quality ones though) who are crappy or if its the speakers, cos sometimes the speakers really amazes me with audio cds and dvds, btw the system sounds Very nice with DVDs. uhmm.. the design.. they are just cool looking.. very neat design, yet a little cheap looking.. but for a trance listener i think the design is right on (as well as the sound) But that is subjective :) well actually so is the sound.. fuck it. And btw If you order a set now, i really doubt you will recieve a set wich will fail on you since thoes problems should have been solved with some revisions that hit the shelves quite some time ago. I have had the speakers for 2 years and have had zero problems.

so
something i can say for sure is that for the basshead and the trance listener there is no better system available in this price range.
a consideration to consider though is that the sound is not very refined and neutral. if you have a well trained ear and dig nice balanced sound quality yuo might be a tad disappointed, on the other hand, if you are one of thoes types, what did you expect for a 200$ pc speaker set..
oh btw, if you have neighboors up close, like in an apartment, you should be prepared for the complaints. I barely use my set anymore because my asshole neighboor who lives in another household is throwing stuff at my window everytime i crank it up :mad:

wow.. erhmm yeah.. i hope i cleared things up for you rather than confuse you.. :)

good luck

If you do get the z-560s dont panic if they bust though, Logitech has probablly got RMAing them down to a science, or we hope by now

Think i'll get the z560s becuase i like to feel my music rather then listen to it :p

If you could wait, I'd look around or wait for some Z-680 deals. For the past month, I've been seeing them go on sale for about $200 - 250. Just spend a little more and with the Z-680's, you will FEEL the bass.

I picked up a set for around $217 a few weeks ago and these things rock the house.

lil layzie said:
If you could wait, I'd look around or wait for some Z-680 deals. For the past month, I've been seeing them go on sale for about $200 - 250. Just spend a little more and with the Z-680's, you will FEEL the bass.

I picked up a set for around $217 a few weeks ago and these things rock the house.

Actually the sound itself from the z560 and the z680 is nearly identical, main difference is the center channel and decoder thing included with the z680.

This reccomendation is probably going to be lost on all the people preferring computer oriented speakers and 40.1 surround sound THX certified dolby digital magic....but...get a vintage reciever and some B&W DM303 bookshelves....not much more accurate and musical in that pricerange!

-Z

Back