• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New speakers

bmartin

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 29, 2004
Messages
2,720
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I usually break in about 30-50 hours. Usually I do notice a difference, but rarely the sound just doesn't change. (EDIT: I also like your sig bmartin...18th HDD lol)
 
personally don't believe in break-in/burn-in, but honestly why worry about it, 20~ hours will go by so quickly with new toys anyways :)
 
I never really bother with breakin, as it'll happen anyhow through use. I DOES actually happen with speakers, as they are mechanical devices, but as I said, regular use does the trick and it generally isnt' earth shattering.
 
Is there a threshold you should keep your speakers at during the period though to avoid damage? Basically, if I decide I want to crank them up (which I won't, but curious either way) and hear them maxxed, does it have a higher chance of blowing being new?
 
New or well worn, if you have proper amplification and the speakers are capable, then you should be fine.
 
No, new or used makes no difference in chance to damage them. You only damage them by exceeding their mechanical and/or electrical limits. That means either putting too much power in to them, or taking an amp with not enough power and running it too far in to clipping.

The most important thing to not damaging your speakers is just don't clip your amplifier. If it starts clipping, time to back off the volume. The next most important thing is don't put too much over all power in to them. There's not a hard and fast rule on this, but the ratings on the back are usually decent. If they say 200watts each, and you have a 400watt per channel amp, well then don't run the amp past 50%.

Only other thing to note is that things like test tones can more easily damage the speaker. If the whole speaker system is rated to 200 watts, it is counting on the power being distributed between all the drivers, and more going to the low drivers. If you were to play a single frequency test tone at full volume, particularly one that went to the tweeter, you'd blow it out.

However if you amp is around (or below) the rating of your speakers and you don't drive your amp to clipping, they should be fine for a long time.
 
I never really bother with breakin, as it'll happen anyhow through use.

Yup. Also psychological "burn in" is at least as large a factor, and that's not going to happen if you're not listening to them.
 
Awesome info guys, thanks.

Right now I am using a Denon AVR-1603 right now, but planning on going to a 3808ci in a month or so. I figure it should be more than enough for what my "general use" is to be considered.
 
Back
Top