New sound system

I am going to upgrade both my sound card and speakers in the next couple weeks(when newegg has x-fi's on sale honestly).

Now I am wondering what I should do all over again.

I listen to music and play games about 50 50 split, I love crisp highs and good midrange before I want bone jarring bass, though I do enjoy the thump it just isn't top priority and I have a sub I can hook up if a system is lacking.

Is the x-fi the best card or should I just go with current generation, seems for the futureproofing of my system its the best bet, however if I can get better quality music playback with another card I would be more inclined to get that card.

Speakers wise I think I want a 5.1 system but I hate the logitechs as they seem to almost abandon the high end, and honestly I wasn't happy with the sound of klipshes even though they are much better than the logitechs for what I would describe as clarity of sound.
Plus even though the klipshes are livable they are too expensive for what they are.

I use my computer as my tv, vcr, dvd player and stereo it literally is my all in one entertainment center as I own nothing else but a dinky 17 inch tv I use for watching football if my TV card is acting up. So movies and satellite audio is important to me as well.

So I am left confused, my buydget on the speakers is about 200 plus about 50 bux if the deal is amazing I spose.

Help me out as I am at an impass in my head.
thanks!!

-twig-

honestly your budget is gonna limit you for real good sound. i personally never heard any pc/multimedia systems i thought sounded good when compared to real stereo equipment.

here is a suggestion though i never heard them:
http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=spk_multimedia&item=c1mic2ti

or how about these:
http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=spk_subsat&item=k1pkm18zz
and spend $50 - $100 on a used receiver(pawn shop, etc.)

i have had a cambridge ensemble sat/sub combo with an onkyo receiver for almost 10 years and they sound great still. check out their free shipping and return policy which they honor. i like their stuff although not many know about them. never got into 5.1 so i can't help ya there.

I'd get the Klipsch Promedia's I have them and they are awesome

jml90 said:
I'd get the Klipsch Promedia's I have them and they are awesome
didnt u read what his budget is? any way, i if i was on that budget and still wanted quallity, i would look at something from Logitech (even thuogh u said u dont like them, this is what i would do) or Creative. Cambridge is a branch off of creative so the probably wouldnt be that bad either. ;) My 2 cents............

I got the Logitech X-530's from newegg for $41, theyre not neighboor shaking loud but they certainly shake my house.

the cambridge are great sets. they just don't sound bright as Klipschs and lack some highs.

I have some Creative GigaWorks S700's and they are exactly what you are looking for. You get a great full range of sound and everything can be changed to your liking. I use them for everthing through a ViewSonic N6. I would consider the Creative DDTS-100 to connect all of your equiptment, and the XFI Xtreme Music as the sound card.

Hobbit89 said:
Cambridge is a branch off of creative so the probably wouldnt be that bad either. ;) My 2 cents............

i can't figure out when that happened(5 years tops). henry kloss and cambridgesoundworks existed for a long time and their quality is far above creative. i think it they are just affiliated somehow but cambridge IS NOT a creative product. the ensemble speaker line is quality construction and sound for the price. i've heard their old multimedia line and it doesn't sound bad, but i hate multimedia/pc speakers. i was actually going to get them and saw the ensembles. best buy used to carry the line which is where i got to hear them and bought them.

zoinks said:
i can't figure out when that happened(5 years tops). henry kloss and cambridgesoundworks existed for a long time and their quality is far above creative. i think it they are just affiliated somehow but cambridge IS NOT a creative product. the ensemble speaker line is quality construction and sound for the price. i've heard their old multimedia line and it doesn't sound bad, but i hate multimedia/pc speakers. i was actually going to get them and saw the ensembles. best buy used to carry the line which is where i got to hear them and bought them.
Srry, thought it was due to the TOP BANNER on their website; http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=speakers

Hm, I also use my computer for TV, Games, DVD's, Music, and perhaps soon to be Radio.

Twig, are you bent set on speakers? For the price, you will get better audio quality from headphones for sure. Music will benifite from them, and games will change. You won't get physics 5.1, but you will still have a 360deg sound field.

So, unless you need speakers, I would recommend you starting thinking about getting a good set of headphones.

~Keep us posted

Ok

I bought a set of 5300e logitechs and I also plan on running dual audigy 2's running one to my logitech speakers and the other to headphones and a set of yamaha speakers that have amazing high range hopefully to even out the pitiful highs on the logitechs. I already have a set of nice headphones. I got a deal on the two cards and the 5300e all for 150 bux so I thought it was a good enough deal that I couldn't pass it up. I hope I can get it all working. Pay take some tinkering but thats all the fun.
thanks for all the input.

-twig-

Back