New sound setup questions

ssbaudi

n00b
Joined
Jan 29, 2009
Messages
47
Hello all!

I've been using some creative 2.1 speakers for a long time, and i'm well past due for an upgrade! I went through most of the threads, and was looking at the behringer ms20 monitors and started looking for a sub, when I realized back home (I'm at college row) I have 2 M&K K7 speakers that I could get for free from my parents. Would these be good for pc audio use (75% music 25% games)? That is the first question. Secondly, I would also need a receiver and a sub, and I'm at a loss what I should get there (too many options, too expensive, etc).

Would there be an problem going to a pawn shop and grabbing a receiver there?

I think thats enough questions for now :] I guess I don't want to spend more than ~$200, and If I couldnt use the K7's then half of that will go towards the ms20's
 
Any help? If you guys could only answer one of my questions, would the K7's be good for PC use?
 
I dunno. Haven't heard of them. Why don't you try them? You have to remember that audio quality is all relative. Some people might like these headphones or these amps or these speakers while others will really really hate them. Try it and see. As for a receiver and subwoofer, try to find a good used one. Look around on Ebay or craigslist. Show us what you have available that would fit your budget and we will help you figure out what works and what doesn't. Would stereo receivers work for you? They would be much cheaper.
 
I'd say get a cheap amp, try those speakers.. according to the specs you will need a sub to properly enjoy them, as they only go down to 80hz. What's your budget?
 
around 200, for everything. my mobo has an optical out among others, so I could use that
 
Hmm. If you build a system out of separate components, you'd end up with some pretty low-end stuff unless you find some good used deals... I'd recommend getting an active pair of speakers, like these:
http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php/p/swan-d1080mkii/products_id/113
or these:
http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php/p/swan-m200mkii/products_id/80
I know the M200MkIIs have plenty of bass, so you might not even need a sub for a while.

Then run with your onboard sound for a while with the M200s, or you can get the d1080s and a nice external soundcard like the Zero DAC (a bit over your budget but it's supposed to be quite good). That combination will yield great sound :)

I remember coming across the Behringer MS40s when I was searching for speakers a long time ago, but I didn't like what I read about their sound quality, so I decided against them. The MS20s should be similar.

EDIT: Oh, and this sub should be pretty good, if you still want one:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENESW8 BLK
 
If I were to buy either of those swan sets, would I need a seperate amp for the sub or would the active speakers cover it? Thanks
 
If I were to buy either of those swan sets, would I need a seperate amp for the sub or would the active speakers cover it? Thanks

Most subs you can buy will be amplified already. No need for a separate amp for the sub :)
 
Sweet! Thanks for all the help! Now, I'm personally someone who is guilty for always wanting the nicest, flashiest thing (guilty :] ) and as soon as you posted those two swan choices I immediately put my finger down on the M200MkII's. Now, I'm no stranger to nice sound, as I have spent too much money already on a nice set of grado's and an equally nice amp - but I haven't heard any of these monitors specifically.

Are the swans worth the extra 50 or so from the behringers?
 
Wait, you like Grados? Try to Acculaine A1 from Audioinsider (same retailer as the Swans). The A1 are a fast, forward driven pair of speakers that have been said to sound like Grados. The M200MKII are much warmer liquidy sounding which I would compare more to the HD650 on a powerful tube amp.
 
Sweet! Thanks for all the help! Now, I'm personally someone who is guilty for always wanting the nicest, flashiest thing (guilty :] ) and as soon as you posted those two swan choices I immediately put my finger down on the M200MkII's. Now, I'm no stranger to nice sound, as I have spent too much money already on a nice set of grado's and an equally nice amp - but I haven't heard any of these monitors specifically.

Are the swans worth the extra 50 or so from the behringers?

I paid quite a bit more than the price you see there, and I thought they were worth it :D
 
So I was just putting the M200MKII's in my cart when I stumbled upon the audioengine A2's for 150 and free shipping. Their small form factor will work far better for me on my smallish desk.

Any complaints with my choice over the swans?
 
just to show you guys, here is the space i'm working with - I think i'm making the right choice

SSPX6608.jpg


as you can see i'm currently chilling with some creative itrigue 3400's :]
 
just to show you guys, here is the space i'm working with - I think i'm making the right choice

SSPX6608.jpg


as you can see i'm currently chilling with some creative itrigue 3400's :]

Looks like FAAAAIL to me.
 
Ok, just ordered the Energy ESW-8 as well. Since the A2's dont have a sub-out, what kind of cabling will I need to hook up the sub?

Thanks!
 
So I was just putting the M200MKII's in my cart when I stumbled upon the audioengine A2's for 150 and free shipping. Their small form factor will work far better for me on my smallish desk.

Any complaints with my choice over the swans?

For the price you're getting a very very good deal imo. They usually go for like $199 everywhere else, maybe $180 w/a 10% discount code or whatever, where'd you find 'em for $150? The M200's are considerably larger, they probably compare a bit more equally to the A5s (and even the A5s are smaller IIRC).

I was gonna order the A2's recently for my office but the shipping to Puerto Rico was killing me ($250 or so w/S&H, I could jump on the M200s for less than that). I wanted them mainly due to the size and because I was gonna use 'em for like 75% music listening and 25% gaming just like you... After seeing a review on What Hi-Fi of this other Samson set I settled for that instead though.

I'm sure the A2's might be a bit better balanced but for the price I was very pleasantly surprised with this Samson Studiodock 3i set, heck I was surprised they retailed for $120 at the local Best Buy, usually just about anything here in PR retails higher than it does in the US.
 
8rear.jpg


Looking at the back panel of that sub (its hard to see) There are speaker level inputs and a Line level input (the rca one). Which one of those should I use? And will any budget cable work from radio shack or something or can someone point me to the best cheaper option?
 
Looking at the back panel of that sub (its hard to see) There are speaker level inputs and a Line level input (the rca one). Which one of those should I use? And will any budget cable work from radio shack or something or can someone point me to the best cheaper option?

Use either, depending on which you want to connect it to on your source.

I just use a spool of 18-gauge speaker wire. It was $8/100ft or something like that. 16-gauge is a bit better, but sometimes harder to fit. Cables where that won't work should be durable and reasonably shielded, but most expensive retail cables are quite overpriced for what you get.
 
I forgot to clarify - I'm connecting this to a motherboard's integrated audio

Stereo / surround outputs on a motherboard / sound card are technically amplified outputs. Not that they're amplified particularly well...also it's certainly not "speaker level" amplification. Low quality and enough for headphones with low demands or self-amplified computer speakers. So it needs to go into the RCA jacks.

With stereo, how about using the line-out jack? I would be greatly surprised if the sub's amplifier isn't better than your onboard. It may or may not be active when the main stereo jack is in use depending on implementation, so unless you have a passthrough it could get annoying.
 
A2's and ESW-8 are both here and in great condition, but I cant figure out how to get them going at the same time... I'm plugging the a2's into the line out from my mobo and the sub with a mini to 2 rca cable into the sub out of my mobo, but I don't get any sound of it. I can get the subwoofer thumping If I plug it into the same green line out jack as the speakers, but then I have no where to plug them in.

I'm confused and I know there must be a simple solution. I know I could just use some sort of splitter, But i'm not sure how that will affect volume levels and signal quality and such.
 
Figured it out! Sounds good. The A2's driver may or may not be hefty enough to handle some of the down-tuned metal albums that I listen to, so I might call audioengine and ask if I can upgrade to the A5's. They sure look pretty though! The Energy 8" sub kicks pretty well for its size, and more than enough for my small room.

Pics:
SSPX6615.jpg

SSPX6616.jpg
 
Back
Top