• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New sound card comparison feedback

Ketzer

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 8, 2009
Messages
114
Hi all

I am considering a new high-end sound card for my gaming machine and I've basically narrowed it down to these three:

Creative X-Fi Titanium HD

HT Omega eClaro

Asus Xonar Essence STX


Some people reported a "screeching" problem with the Xonar card in the feedback, but haven't heard other reports of that. The X-Fi will obviously come with the crap shoot of Creative's bloated drivers. The eClaro I really don't know much about other than the feedback suggests people really like it.

Can anyone relate their experiences of direct comparisons between these different cards if they have any? Much appreciated.
 
Hi all

I am considering a new high-end sound card for my gaming machine and I've basically narrowed it down to these three:

Creative X-Fi Titanium HD

HT Omega eClaro

Asus Xonar Essence STX


Some people reported a "screeching" problem with the Xonar card in the feedback, but haven't heard other reports of that. The X-Fi will obviously come with the crap shoot of Creative's bloated drivers. The eClaro I really don't know much about other than the feedback suggests people really like it.

Can anyone relate their experiences of direct comparisons between these different cards if they have any? Much appreciated.

I wrote this awhile ago. Have not owned the Omega. But you can compare the STX and HD

I have owned all three.

The HD is on par with the Essence STX for music (slight nod to the STX).

The HD is much better than the STX for gaming.

The HD was on par for gaming with the Titanium. (Slight nod to the HD).

The HD was noticeably better for music than the Titanium.

So the question is was it worth double the cost? For me yes. I have a pretty nice headphone/amp music setup, and I am REALLY into my sound for gaming.

I would get the HD over the Essence STX all that being said. All this is my opinion of course, and having heard/owned all three.
 
What headphones?

The big difference between the HD and the STX for gaming is between Dolby Headphone and CMSS-3D - some people prefer one or the other so you'd really need to try them both to see what you like. I prefer DH, myself, but others like CMSS.
 
What headphones?

The big difference between the HD and the STX for gaming is between Dolby Headphone and CMSS-3D - some people prefer one or the other so you'd really need to try them both to see what you like. I prefer DH, myself, but others like CMSS.

do you use headphones, if no i wouldnt reccomend any of those..


Yes, using headphones. I use a pair of Audio Technica ATH-A900s

The eClaro also states support for Dolby Headphone. I've used previous model X-Fi's in the past, but never really used the CMSS-3D feature. I think I tried it once and found it somewhat bothersome, but not sure anymore. What are the pros/cons of each for my own education?

Why would none of these cards be a good choice if not using headphones? I mean not that it matters because that's all I do use, but just curious :)
 
Last edited:
Why would none of these cards be a good choice if not using headphones? I mean not that it matters because that's all I do use, but just curious :)

They are all designed primarily for headphones, with more expensive components to support that. If you are using speakers you could get by with cheaper cards.

DH and CMSS have slightly different sounds - they both do the same thing, virtual positioning, and they both do it well, they just sound a little different doing it.
 
Yes, using headphones. I use a pair of Audio Technica ATH-A900s

Why would none of these cards be a good choice if not using headphones? I mean not that it matters because that's all I do use, but just curious :)

only because you can get some usb solutions that dont have headphone output for cheaper, (or not as good of a HP output) thats all. they are an excellent value if you use headphones.
 
Back
Top