New SN25P... RAID setup is kicking my posterior...

needles

n00b
Okay... after finally getting to this point...

Two questions...

1) When I go to partition my RAID set, how come Windows Setup thinks it's the "F" drive?

2) When I press F6 and load the WinXP RAID drivers, when it gets to the point where it wants to install Windows, it asks me to insert the disk labeled "NVIDIA RAID DRIVER (Win2K)" -- but I specified XP? I have no idea what it's looking for and simply pressing "enter" wont let this cursed thing find what it wants. I've tried this four times now and each time the same shit happens.

What the hell have I done wrong here?

Okay... get this...

I flashed to the latest bios (revision "O") and now there doesn't seem to be anything strange at all.

Only problem is that the automatic memory timings are not quite right for the low-latency RAM I have... but I will address that later.

Spoke to soon...

Now I get to the XP installer... and it tells me "39 minutes to go!" and it just sits there. Forever. The animation still goes, and the little Windows XP "slide show" changes... but it's stuck at 39 minutes...

What kind of shit is this?

needles said:
Okay... after finally getting to this point...

Two questions...

1) When I go to partition my RAID set, how come Windows Setup thinks it's the "F" drive?

2) When I press F6 and load the WinXP RAID drivers, when it gets to the point where it wants to install Windows, it asks me to insert the disk labeled "NVIDIA RAID DRIVER (Win2K)" -- but I specified XP? I have no idea what it's looking for and simply pressing "enter" wont let this cursed thing find what it wants. I've tried this four times now and each time the same shit happens.

What the hell have I done wrong here?

1) please disconnect the memory card reader. Once you install XP, hook it back up.
2) Win2K drivers will probably work with XP and visa versa so even though it says 2K, insert your RAID drivers disk anyways.

Tried different NVRAID drivers from NVIDIA. That seemed to solve the problem.

Install was SCREAMING... got to "Saving settings" about 90% and then whammo! BSOD!

Next try... got to network configuration... BSOD!

What the fuck is with this goddamn thing? How can Shuttle sell this and get away with it?

needles, listen to them. Shuttle makes an awsome motherboard, but that card reader thing seems to be giving a lot of people problems. Something about when the system recognizes it, it's conflicting with something else... ok so I can't explain it, do a search but before that disconnect it.

If it can't hurt and might help, do it- also, what ram did you get? the PDP right?

IdiotInCharge said:
If it can't hurt and might help, do it- also, what ram did you get? the PDP right?

Yes, I got the PDP 2-3-2-5 memory. CPU-Z shows it as 2-3-2-5 and everything seems fine now... but I still get random lock ups or BSOD's. I've got AMD Cool'n'Quiet going and have verified with nTune/CPU-Z that it's working as expected. Current CPU temp is 27C, system temp is 43C, GPU is 57C.

For example, about 10 minutes ago I got a BSOD with an error in nv4_disp.dll -- the NVIDIA driver.

Prior to that, I had a system lockup when I clicked the Strat menu.

Four bluescreens since my last post...

This SN25P is the dodgiest piece of shit I've ever used.

(at least it reboots in about 20 seconds)

Please don't use words like "ass" in thread titles, ok?

Fewmets, ass is still a bad word?

It's always a good idea to install additional hardware one piece at a time if possible and get the system stable before you add extras.

What driver version are you using?

needles said:
Yes, I got the PDP 2-3-2-5 memory. CPU-Z shows it as 2-3-2-5 and everything seems fine now... but I still get random lock ups or BSOD's. I've got AMD Cool'n'Quiet going and have verified with nTune/CPU-Z that it's working as expected. Current CPU temp is 27C, system temp is 43C, GPU is 57C.

For example, about 10 minutes ago I got a BSOD with an error in nv4_disp.dll -- the NVIDIA driver.

Prior to that, I had a system lockup when I clicked the Strat menu.

Cool n Quiet only works perfect with he latest 'O' BIOS. Are u using that BIOS?

PDP... sorry for asking but does that stand for patriot something? :p

If you are using patriot ram, you need to downclock it. A few people already had issues with it.

Ald

That's what I've been reading- might be prudent to send it back and get some OCZ or Corsair, especially if downclocking it results in stable performance. I would suggest that you go ahead and bury your timings, just to see if that makes it stable for you- at least then you could get something done, and also know whether or not that was the problem.

My bad 2GB 2-3-2-5 Patriot kit worked fine @ 3-4-4-8. BSOD at anything less. RMA'ing the kit now with PDP. Could try those settings just to get it up in the mean time? Can't hurt to try.

canislupy said:
My bad 2GB 2-3-2-5 Patriot kit worked fine @ 3-4-4-8. BSOD at anything less. RMA'ing the kit now with PDP. Could try those settings just to get it up in the mean time? Can't hurt to try.

BTW... I did some memtest86 action on this Patriot garbage... tons of errors.

So, taking another poster's advice, I upped the voltage on these modules to 2.8V and am running 2-3-2-5 1T for the last 20 minutes or so. Usually the thing would have blown up by now. I'm not sold that it's 100% stable, and the 2.8V worries me... but at least, if this keeps up, I will be able to at least use my new toy until the OCZ comes in next Tuesday.

PDP said 2.7v, even though spd default is 2.6v. I tried 2.8, but didn't do anything for me.

needles said:
BTW... I did some memtest86 action on this Patriot garbage... tons of errors.

So, taking another poster's advice, I upped the voltage on these modules to 2.8V and am running 2-3-2-5 1T for the last 20 minutes or so. Usually the thing would have blown up by now. I'm not sold that it's 100% stable, and the 2.8V worries me... but at least, if this keeps up, I will be able to at least use my new toy until the OCZ comes in next Tuesday.

I've found that doing 2.8V on my Corsair emeory was vital for stability. That is there default rating but the Shuttle BIOS wants to default to 2.7V.

So a word to the wise, up that voltage then run memtest86 again.

canislupy said:
PDP said 2.7v, even though spd default is 2.6v. I tried 2.8, but didn't do anything for me.

Here I was thinking my memory was "bad", when in fact -- after reading around -- manfacturers want you to bump the voltage in order to achieve their high-speed latencies. That's kind of weird, IMO.

I am now debating returning the Patriot memory... at 2.8, this thing has been perfectly stable ever since. I just played HL2 at 1920x1200 for about an hour and a half, 6aa/16af (and being that I have a 7800, I had alpha channel AA on as well)... the framerate is **highly** playable! I was very impressed.

When I got done, I fired up nTune Monitor and saw that GPU was at 70C, the CPU was at 41C, and the system was at 52C...

Color me impressed now that the SN25P has stable memory! Holy crap!

Needles, could you clarify (for the record) what exact memory settings you found the system stable at?

Needles, I'd also like to know what the full set up timings you used that ended up working were. I am now having trouble with my Mushkin 2gb 2-3-2-5 kit. :(

when u instaleld win xp pro u p[robaly had the card reader installed plugged in . thus it used the card readers dri ve letters first then it took your c hard drive thus it messed up..

thus during first time installtion it is advisable to un plug the card reader first , u will need to re install xp pro from scratch with the card reader uinpllugeed first

Back