New smithfield system.

Joined
Aug 19, 2006
Messages
9
Yo, I'm a bit of a n00b here, so forgive any ignorance. I've been planing to build myself a pc for a few months now, and now that I have the money set aside for this, I'm wondering if I've chosen all the right components. So i'd like it if someone could give their opinion on this setup, and whether there are better components to choose from:

Mobo:-----Gigabyte GA-G1975X
CPU:------Pentium D 805 Smithfield (I'll probably overclock it to 4.0GHz or so.)
Ram:------A-DATA Vitesta 2GB
VGA:--- --eVGA Geforce 7900GT KO 256mb (May or may not overclock. Gets hot.)
PSU:------Rosewill RD600-2DB-SL 600W
HD:--------WD Caviar 320GB
Cooling:--KOOLANCE EXOS-2 with Swiftech Apogee cpu water-block and
--------------Swiftech MCW60 VGA water-block

= about $1330
which is $70 bucks shy of my budget(shipping not included). I already have a nice full atx case, monitor, and all the extras. I'm primarily a graphic artist, but I plan to use this baby for gaming aswell. I'd like to be able to play F.E.A.R. and Quake 4 on full graphics in at LEAST 1024x768 at 25fps or more. Preferably 1280x1024. Also, I need a cpu thats at least 3.6GHz and can overclock somewhat well. Hence the '805. 97 bucks cheap...Yo. Anyway, any help will be appreciated.
 
Go conroe buddy,
You can water cool and overclock a Pentium D 805 all you want, but it will not even come close to the performance of a stock Core 2 6300.
Ribs
 
^^^ He's gotcha there :D

I would not buy the pendium d if I had $1400 to rop on a rig. I can't recommend parts ATM but conroe would be the smartest and fastest choice.
 
dariob said:
I would take that extra $70, dump the Rosewill PSU, and get either the XClio 450BL 450W for ~$50 or the Enermax 535W SLI-Ready for ~$80 (as per this thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1000883).

Really, why dump $1300+ on a system and put in a POS PSU?
I think the D 805 overclocked to 4GHz takes like 400 something Watts on high load. Plus I've heard good things about that particular Rosewill PSU. Besides, I'd like to stay safe with a higher Watt PSU.

I'm also actually starting to eye that Core 2 6300 and 6400. If I can OC one of those things to 3GHz or so with watercooling then I'm sold. I suppose I could put it on credit ;). I think I need a diff mobo though, since the one I want is hard to find..and loud.
 
you're looking at the wrong things when you're looking at PSU's if you're looking mainly at wattage.

Browse the PSU forums for a while, check the stickies. Again...check the stickies. Pay attention to the "recommended" and "stay away from" stickies. Later down the road you'll be very glad you did.
 
You've got a point...hmmm...
Enermax 535W or OCZ PowerStream 520W

Also, Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 or ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe.

I think I'm sold on the 6400 Conroe.

Edit: I keep editing this freakin' post.

Ok, I'm thinking about the Core 2 6400 Conroe, with a ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe, and the OCZ PowerStream (109 after mail in rebate at newegg woo!).

Edit: I'm told the E6400 can get to 3GHz easy with a Zalman CNPS7700-Cu. Plus if I get a zalman gpu fan I can ditch the expensive water cooling. What do you guys think?
 
Advice,
Get the Core 2 6600. It is double the cache. Use the money for water cooling on the processor instead. If you are not happy with the overclocking on air, you can get water later.
Ribs
 
The nForce4 intel boards don't overclock well. Unless you absolutely have to have an SLI capable board, go with one of the tried and true conroe overclockers like the DQ6, DS3, Bad Ax or P5W DH.
 
The extra cache allows for a negligible increase in performance.

Just go air; for your needs, water is overkill.

If all you want is 25FPS+ at 1280x1024 in FEAR and Q4, you can get that with a 7600GT.

PSUs you should look at:

Enhance ENP-5140GH - $56 + ~$10 shipping
Masscool PS-PSU460 AKA Sytrin Nextherm PSU460 - $58 + $8 shipping

The Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 and ASUS P5B are OCing very well right now (450-500+). The P5B still has some issues to be hammered out with BIOS updates.

A build to consider:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 - $185
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 - $140
Enhance ENP-5140GH - $58
Shipping from ewiz - $12-$15 UPS 3-day

mushkin 2x1GB DDR2-667 - $151
eVGA 7600GT KO - $160, $20 MIR
Western Digital WD3200KS 320GB - $90, $10 MIR
Pioneer DVR-111D - $32
Shipping from newegg - $9-15 UPS 3-day

Scythe Ninja Plus - $36 (great cooler at any fan speed, comes with good fan)
OR
Thermalright Ultra-120 - $43 (easier to install than the Ninja, better performance at non-silent levels, needs a fan)
AND
Yate Loon D12SL-12 120mm - $4 (need to cut out the corner tubes or bend the clips a bit)
OR
Cooler Master Silent White LED 120mm - $5
OR
Cooler Master UV Silent Blue LED 120mm - $8

If you get the Powerstream 520, you'll be paying twice as much as for the ones I suggested with little or no advantage in performance (33A vs 32A and 28A on +12V rail(s)) to show for it. Aside from that little extra bit of power (which you won't even come close to needing), there's... nothing I can think of that the Powerstream does better than those 2.
 
454Casull said:
The extra cache allows for a negligible increase in performance.

Just go air; for your needs, water is overkill.

If all you want is 25FPS+ at 1280x1024 in FEAR and Q4, you can get that with a 7600GT.

PSUs you should look at:

Enhance ENP-5140GH - $56 + ~$10 shipping
Masscool PS-PSU460 AKA Sytrin Nextherm PSU460 - $58 + $8 shipping

The Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 and ASUS P5B are OCing very well right now (450-500+). The P5B still has some issues to be hammered out with BIOS updates.

DS3 it is. I'm digging the OCZ powerstream though.

Hows about this:
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
The Zalman Fans
OCZ Powerstream
A-Data Vitesta 2GB
eVGA 7600GT KO
 
Ok. Final List:

CPU---------Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (Overclocked to 3GHz)
Mobo--------Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
Ram---------A-DATA Vitesta 2GB (2 x 1GB)
PSU---------OCZ PowerStream
VGA---------eVGA Geforce 7900GT KO 256MB
HD------------Western Digital Caviar WD3200KS
Cooling-----ZALMAN ZM - F3 120mm
----------------ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU 120mm
----------------ZALMAN Fatal1ty FS-V7 80mm VGA
----------------ZALMAN ZM-2HC2 NP
----------------Arctic Silver 5

Any final suggestions before I buy?
 
Back
Top