New, smaller PS2 Coming

sounds cool. i wonder what it will look like.
maybe the x-box can follow suit with the x-box 2 ;)

whatever happened to the PSX, did it never come to the US?

Bad_Boy said:
sounds cool. i wonder what it will look like.
maybe the x-box can follow suit with the x-box 2 ;)

whatever happened to the PSX, did it never come to the US?

Well, this will be the interim product before the PS3 comes out, who knows when.

From what I have heard the PSX was sold only in Japan, to see how the market acceptance would be. Sales were so bad that Sony decided not to bring it state-side.

i found a pic and more info

ps2vpstwo_screen001.jpg

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/17/news_6107820.html

Heard a smaller one was coming. Sold my PS2 and was meaning to get it back and I think will as soon as the new ones hit. :)

well I cant say I really like the design of it over the original but ill gladly get it for the display and smaller size. I too sold my ps2 off long ago and want one back :)

Hey kevin1211, that's not a PStwo, it's a regular DVD player.
The article says that's about the size though.

Kadarom Douhrek said:
Hey kevin1211, that's not a PStwo, it's a regular DVD player.
The article says that's about the size though.
oops, i should've clarified that after i read the article.. hehe... thanks though ;)

But get this: You can't use the HDD with the new model. I read that on IGN so it may be wrong. Then again when you look at the size of the PStwo it doesn't look like there is any room for the HDD. The IGN story also mentioned compatibility problems with some games.

Overall I'm not that impressed. If they would have put in two more controller ports (for a total of four) I might be tempted. The major size reduction came with the removal of the HDD bay, not any super whiz-bang technology.

This is old news. Its a thinner, lighter, less use of power, less heating, better lens, better DVD player PS2. Not sure when its coming out though. Im gonna pick this up just for Gran Turismo.

It looks like they also made the power supply external, like the GC. And it is top loading which is a major negative in my book.

And it seems like this new model is not compatible with any HDD. This naturally ticked off Squeenix (Square) because the HDD is needed to play FFXI. Maybe Sony didn't feel the game was selling enough on the PS2 to take it into consideration when designing the new unit. Note that FFXI is the only game that really uses the HDD. Does EQ:OA use it?

If I have to replace my PS2 I'll look for the last model (50000 or something like that).

Back