dr.stevil

[H]F Junkie
So I just put together the following machine

i5 6600k
Gigabyte z170 gaming 5 mobo
16gb corsair DDR4
Corsair H60 AIO cooler
Sandisk SSD

Everything on the machine seems to be running excellent except when the CPU receives a partial load. There is a loud audible clicking sound coming from the machine (sounds just like a fan nicking a wire or an old ass HDD). I checked and double checked to make sure it wasn't fan issue.

If I completely load the CPU with something like Aida64, it's dead quiet. If I then stop the stress test, the clicking comes back as the load drops off the CPU and once it hits idle, it goes back to quiet again. But when it get partially loaded (loading a program on extracting a zip file, for example) the clicking comes back.

Has anyone ever run into this before? Its super annoying. I dread having to tear the machine apart to RMA the board if it's the problem

First, did you change the CPU OPT fan setting in the BIOS to make sure the water block is running at 100%??? It defaults to Auto which spins the pump too slow and can lead to clicking noise.

If that doesn't fix it, stick your head in the case while it's making the noise and see if you can locate the source. Gently stick something soft into the fans to stop them while they are running, see if one is making the noise even if you think it's not a fan. If could be your H60 fan, mine was stupid loud and I had to replace it for my sanity.

thank you so much for taking the time to reply Ocellaris! You were right! it was the pump. spent the better part of the afternoon trying to trouble shoot that.

Have a beer on me

thank you so much for taking the time to reply Ocellaris! You were right! it was the pump. spent the better part of the afternoon trying to trouble shoot that.

Have a beer on me
Yup those pumps can be super clicky. I have rma'd 4 corsair aio's of different models in the last year. I'd say it was a bad batch but they were all bought at different times and are different models....

I heard the newest ones are fine though. Anyways glad you found it.

Back