• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New SFF- last minute component suggestions needed

stehle

n00b
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
38
I've decided to go ahead and order a new rig today, but I need to figure out a few components--notably the MB and GPU.

I'm trying to keep the price reasonable and I plan to overclock the system.

case: Lian Li V350
cpu: Q6600 GO
mb: ? (are there any matx boards with pci-e 2.0?)
ram: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000)
ps: ? (someone recommended a specific modular ps that came with short cables, but i cannot find the post)
gpu: ? (e-GeForce 9800GTX SSC 512MB maybe?)
hs: ninja mini

The video card is what is giving me the most grief. I'm trying to decide whether to get a nicer card now or wait for the "better" cards which are supposed to be coming soon. I was planning on going evga so I could use their upgrade program just in case.

Thoughts? Any help is appreciated. I want to get this ordered today so I'll have a new PC by the weekend. Thanks
 
Today's PCIe 2.0 cards are backwards compatible with the PCIe 1.1 (x16) slot. In fact, none of the PCIe video cards today are capable of using the full bandwidth allocated by the PCIe 1.1 slot (on their own).

Silverstone makes a power supply with short cables (designed primarily for its SUGO line of mATX cases) and a short cable kit (designed for its modular power supplies) that is compatible with a few modular PSUs. (However, I don't know the full list, outside of Silverstone's own modular power supplies, that the short cable kit is compatible with.)

Which size monitor are you going with? You may be able to get away with using the 512MB 8800GTS, which uses the same GPU the 9800GTX is based off of.

As for motherboards, the ASUS P5E-VM series are the ones often referred to for those hoping to overclock their systems.
 
dont think a 9800 is gonna fit in that case with out some sort of modification if it will fit at all
 
I'm using a 22" widescreen Dell LCD monitor at 1680x1050 resolution. I am playing mostly COD4, Sins, etc--I intentionally haven't picked up Crysis / UT3 because I was waiting for a machine that was more capable. I also do a lot of video encoding--hence the quad core.

One of the reasons I liked the Lian Li 350 case was because it was supposed to handle the larger video cards without a problem. I'll double check on the dimensions though--I just assumed the 9800 wasn't any larger than some of the other cards out there.

Thanks for the help.
 
For a 22 inch WS monitor, you could use the 8800GTS instead. The only game that would really give it trouble is Crysis -- then again, Crysis (on High settings) wreaks havoc on even high-end video cards. The 8800GTS is nine inches in length -- which is also the same length as the 8800GT. Since you can now buy the 8800GTS for as low as $195AR, and it can still compete with the 9800GTX (since they use variants of the same GPU), I'd recommend that over the 9800GTX.
 
Back
Top