I am building a new sff system for office and home use. I will be using it for office applications, Photoshop CS3, heavy OCR and file storage. I have tentatively chosen the following components and would appreciate any insight into my selections. My last build (and current pc) is an Athlon 4800X2, 6600GT. I’m not expecting much of an increase in general performance, but really want the portability allowed by the sff. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.
Case – Thermaltake Lanbox http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811133033
Motherboard - Gigabyte G33M-ds2r http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813128053
PSU- Raidmax 630W modular http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817152026
RAM- Patriot eXtreme 2x2gb, PC2-6400 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820220227
DVD – Lite-on Sata http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16827106072
HDD 1 – 74gb Raptor (already have)
HDD 2&3- WD SE16 500GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822136073
Video Card – 8600GT MSI Silent Heat Pipe http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127293
CPU- Either a Q6600 or E6850, still haven’t decided. I know for Photoshop, the quad is supposed to be a bit faster, but for general office apps and OCR, I think the 6850 would be a better performer. Any suggestions?
I went for a lower end video card because I am not a gamer, so I don’t know if the 8800 series is necessary, or if the extra heat would be a problem in the small case. Also, is this psu enough for the 3 hard drives and a quad, if that is the route I choose? Any input on whether an aftermarket cooling solution would be necessary with the above build?
Excluding the CPU the cost is $990. Thank you for any suggestions or comments.
Case – Thermaltake Lanbox http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811133033
Motherboard - Gigabyte G33M-ds2r http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813128053
PSU- Raidmax 630W modular http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817152026
RAM- Patriot eXtreme 2x2gb, PC2-6400 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820220227
DVD – Lite-on Sata http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16827106072
HDD 1 – 74gb Raptor (already have)
HDD 2&3- WD SE16 500GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822136073
Video Card – 8600GT MSI Silent Heat Pipe http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127293
CPU- Either a Q6600 or E6850, still haven’t decided. I know for Photoshop, the quad is supposed to be a bit faster, but for general office apps and OCR, I think the 6850 would be a better performer. Any suggestions?
I went for a lower end video card because I am not a gamer, so I don’t know if the 8800 series is necessary, or if the extra heat would be a problem in the small case. Also, is this psu enough for the 3 hard drives and a quad, if that is the route I choose? Any input on whether an aftermarket cooling solution would be necessary with the above build?
Excluding the CPU the cost is $990. Thank you for any suggestions or comments.