• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New SFF build (SG05BB-450)

Jechnique

n00b
Joined
Jan 23, 2012
Messages
18
Hi guys,

This will be my first computer build, and I was wondering if these parts are fine, and won't be problematic.

Case; SG05BB-450
Mobo; Asus P8H67-I Deluxe
Cpu; I5 2500K
Gpu; MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr 2
Memory; Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 204-Pin 1600MHz SO-DIMM
SSD; OCZ Agility 3, 120GB
Secondary; Samsung 1TB, 2.5", 5400RPM
Optical; Sony Optiarc black 12.7mm Slot Blu-Ray Combo SATA Model (Only if it fits. I've read that I may not be able to fit an optical drive in the SG05BB, depending on what cooler/fan I use. I much rather have adequate cooling than an optical drive.)
Cooler; Prolimatech Samuel 17
Fan for cooler; Gelid Solutions FN-PX12-15 120MM PWM

I don't have the tools to mod, so will this be a painless build? I'm competent with adequate instructions, but bare in mind this is my first time.

Also, is the thermal paste that comes with Samuel 17 decent?

Also, I'm buying the SG05BB in South Korea, and I have noticed that it's front USB is USB3.0, whereas the models in America are not. Is this a new edition?

Any input is appreciated! Thank you!
 
Last edited:
I don't have the tools to mod, so will this be a painless build? I'm competent with adequate instructions, but bare in mind this is my first time.
My first SFF build , coming from an FT02, and it was pretty painless to put together. I was definitely expecting it to be more of a pain.
Also, is the thermal paste that comes with Samuel 17 decent?
I used it over MX-2 and it's pretty good imo.
Also, I'm buying the SG05BB in South Korea, and I have noticed that it's front USB is USB3.0, whereas the models in America are not. Is this a new edition?
No idea, but it would make sense.
 
Thanks for the reply MissJ84.

Will the parts fit fine? This is my main concern. I'd actually rather use an MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr 3, but I can't confirm if it fits, whereas I have seen someone post a picture of a MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr 2 fitting perfectly.
 
I have seen this SG05 with USB3 here in scandinavia. its marked as "New" in webshops
 
Thanks for the reply MissJ84.

Will the parts fit fine? This is my main concern. I'd actually rather use an MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr 3, but I can't confirm if it fits, whereas I have seen someone post a picture of a MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr 2 fitting perfectly.

I'm using an Asus 560 Ti DCUII Top, but its only 9". Its hard for me to remember how much room I had to spare, because I'm using a wider TY-140 fan up front. I want to say there's a thread about this, so maybe search/read the main SG05 thread.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1372339

I also remember someone saying "just shy of 10.5", with some photos of a tape measure in the case. That said, I'm sure someone will come along sooner or later, who knows for sure :D
 
With the GPU aside, will any of the other listed parts be an issue fitting? Sorry for the numerous questions. I live in South Korea, but I'm holidaying in America at the moment, so I'm trying to pick up parts as I go. The parts are MUCH cheaper and more accessible here than compared to South Korea...
 
Mobo; Asus P8H67-I Deluxe
Cpu; I5 2500K

The H67 chipset won't allow any overclocking, so there's no point getting the -K cpu.

SSD; OCZ Agility 3, 120GB
Secondary; Samsung 1TB, 2.5", 5400RPM
Optical; Sony Optiarc black 12.7mm Slot Blu-Ray Combo SATA Model (Only if it fits. I've read that I may not be able to fit an optical drive in the SG05BB, depending on what cooler/fan I use. I much rather have adequate cooling than an optical drive.)

It's only when you want to put Corsair H60 or Antec 620 watercooling rads, that the drive cages won't fit well anymore.

What I suggest, since you don't want to mod: the SG05 has 3 spaces for drives: slimline DVD, 2.5" mount and under that a cage for 3.5" drive. So if you are using 2 x 2.5" drives, then you need a bracket to hold 2.5" drive in 3.5" cage. Also, you'll need a Slimline Sata adapter cable (6+7 pin) for the optical, since the standard PSU only has regular sata power connectors (15 pin).

I also remember someone saying "just shy of 10.5", with some photos of a tape measure in the case. That said, I'm sure someone will come along sooner or later, who knows for sure :D

263mm (10.35") internal depth according to my tape measure. What that means in terms of graphic card length depends if the manufacterer measures including the bracket or the length of the PCB only. Something else to remember is that depending on how the PCIe power sockets are mounted, you might need more room. I went the totally safe route with a 188mm card and power sockets pointing upwards :p
 
Thank you for the information WiSK. I'm aware of the inability to overclock on the H model, but want the K for future. I am only building a ITX for now because I need to carry it around :D. I'll recycle all parts into better suited cases later.

Regarding the adapter; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200374

Is this what you mean? I'll add it to my basket :D.

I already have a Mushkin 2.5 bracket :), so that's all good!

I actually might hold off on the GPU and secondary HDD, until I build it and see what sort of room I have to play with.

Just for reference, what GPU did you choose?
 
Gainward Phantom - it's in my sig :) Not available in the States however, but I believe there are other manufacturers making shorter 560Ti cards.
 
Yep, that's the adapter you need.

The Twin Frozr you are considering probably just fits, but the PCIe sockets are on the end. However, check out the 448 Cores version. That looks the same length but they've moved the power sockets to point upwards. And that would bring it closer in power to the 570 you were wishing for. Ideal!

You should contact Prolimatech directly if you can't find any one else to confirm the Samuel 17 will fit with that motherboard and those memory sticks.
 
Thank you! Appreciated! I've just shot off an e-mail to Prolimatech, so hopefully I'll have a definite answer soon. I may come back to that GPU, but I'm not in a rush, so I'll see what unfolds with the release of the 7 series.

If anyone has any other/further comments/suggestions, I'd appreciate that too :).

Thanks!
 
I have a Samuel 17 in a SG05 with rig in sig (2 x RipjawX) and clearance is fine with my board. Not sure what the height of those Corsair's are, but hopefully that helps some.
 
Case; SG05BB-450
Mobo; Asus P8H67-I Deluxe
Cpu; I5 2500K
Gpu; MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr 2
Memory; Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 204-Pin 1600MHz SO-DIMM
SSD; OCZ Agility 3, 120GB
Secondary; Samsung 1TB, 2.5", 5400RPM
Optical; Sony Optiarc black 12.7mm Slot Blu-Ray Combo SATA Model (Only if it fits. I've read that I may not be able to fit an optical drive in the SG05BB, depending on what cooler/fan I use. I much rather have adequate cooling than an optical drive.)
Cooler; Prolimatech Samuel 17
Fan for cooler; Gelid Solutions FN-PX12-15 120MM PWM

Since no overclocking, why not use the stock cooler for now? Save you the cost of the cooler+fan.

Why use a 2.5" drive for the secondary? You can usually get more GB/$ using a 3.5" drive, which the case supports. They're also faster.

Why the choice of that motherboard? You have already noticed it uses SODIMMs (by your RAM choice). You mentioned the small case is just for now, and that you will reuse the CPU in a later build. If so, you should choose a motherboard that uses regular desktop DIMMs. AFAIK the Asus board has three features that differentiate it from other boards.
1) WiFi
2) Bluetooth
3) Internal USB 3.0 headers

The first two you can easily get USB dongles for at lower prices, if you actually need those features. In fact, the Bluetooth is basically a USB dongle that can't be removed. The internal USB 3.0 headers is the rarity. Zotac board have them too, as well as WiFi (but no Bt).

Yep, my bad! I'm not too rushed for a GPU, because I only wanted to play Diablo 3, heh, so I may hold back on the GPU until they announce it.

That's gonna be a while. Latest news is that it is delayed, so maybe an early 2013 release.

Everybody look surprised–Diablo III has been delayed again
"The Q1 release date is almost certainly out of the question now, and there is even a chance that a 2012 release is in jeopardy."

check out the 448 Cores version. That looks the same length

I thought the 448 core version used the GTX 570 PCB? Though those aren't very big either. Also, power consumption is closer to the GTX 570.
 
Hi Zap,

Thanks for your input! I wanted it as stable and light as possible, which is why I chose an aftermarket cooler and 2.5" secondary. It'll really only be to store music/series/whatnot, and it's also from a laptop I no longer have, so I'm just recycling.

I chose the Asus, because I have always been fond of Asus, and in addition to that, from reviews, it seems like a a smaller number of people have issues with the Asus board, as opposed to the Zotac board. The only issue I read about the Asus board is that it has disappeared from many retailers. This is not a problem in Korea, because they stock plenty here.

With regards to the delay, I'm not too bothered by that either. Sure, I'd love to play it right now, but obviously there isn't anything that could remedy this. I don't play anything else except for the occasional LoL game, which the Intel 3000 can handle.

Question; Would the 450w PSU have any issues powering the 448 Core version? I want this system to be very stable.

Thanks!

Edit; With regards to the SO-DIMMS and 2.5 secondary. I also like their size which should allow for better airflow within the case, even if minimal.
 
Hi there

I personally would go a different route

II would get the asrock Z68 mini itx mb instead, it uses a later chipset that supports interesting features like smart catching and overclocking (limited by power consumption)
the zotac is too expensive and performs no better. the only downside on my book for this board is the lack of usb 3 headers for front usb connection on the case.

On the Asus my main gripe are the sodim modules, unless asus had bothered to install 4 memory slots since the ocupy the same space as 2 normal dimm memory slots.

i believe overclcocking on mini itx will improve with Ivi brdige chips as they will consume less power and the boards will more margin.
 
Question; Would the 450w PSU have any issues powering the 448 Core version? I want this system to be very stable.

According to Tom's Hardware the max draw of the 560 Ti 448 is 250W, and your motherboard + 2500K should be 135W max under load. So that leaves 65W, plenty for fans and drives. Moreover, the ST45SF has been stress tested at over 530W for 24h, and it's unlikely that you will have the the CPU and GPU at 100% when just playing games. I have my rig folding 24/7 which gets close to full load and I'm not using anywhere close to 450W, albeit I do have only the regular 560Ti and i5-2400S.
 
The SG05 will accept video cards up to 260mm

AMD is more power efficient than Nvidia, the most powerfull card from amd you can fit is a 6950 with short pcb like the msi twin frost II, beware the twin frost III is longer and will not fit with modification to eith shroud or case

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037363627&postcount=24

NVidia 560ti 448 and 570 will also fit if you get version with custom short pcb, like these made gainward,

http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=469

I would read up on Miahallen gaming in tight spaces V1, V2, V3

http://www.techreaction.net/forums/cases-modding/3804-gaming-small-spaces-max11l.html

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09...art-2–-max11l-featuring-corsair-and-gigabyte/

http://www.techreaction.net/forums/cases-modding/6740-gaming-tight-spaces-max11lv3.html
 
Last edited:
Thanks Jrturbo. I've scouring high and low for all the information I can find, and a lot of people have said that the card does fit, but you must put the card in prior to anything anything else, then slide the mobo in. I'm pretty sure there is a picture in [H] somewhere, with the Twin Frozr II sitting snug.

I do like that Gainward card, and I have contemplated it. I'm currently in the US, and they don't sell it here (admittedly, only briefly looked). They do however sell it in South Korea (I'll be back in a week or so), but it's priced at ~$460USD... And, yeah... I don't think that's worth it. Especially now since I don't have anything I need a GPU for yet.

Also, I don't have the tools/experience to mod, so all my decisions are made off pain free building. I just want to put it together and off it goes.

Thank you for your input!

My friend has received my package in Korea of the SG05, and it indeed has front panel USB3.0!
 
Hi guys,

I've finally gathered most of my parts

Mobo; Asus P8H67-I Deluxe B3
CPU; I5 2500K
Mem; Vegeance 2x4GB SO-DIMM 1600MHz
SSD; Crucial M4 256GB
Cooler; Prolimatech Samuel 17 / Gelid 120MM PWM 720 - 1500RPM
Front fan; Gelid 120MM 1800RPM Green LED
GPU; MSI GTX 560 Ti 448 Twin Frozr III
Case; SG05BB-450

Question; Will the 450W PSU handle this?

Thanks!
 
No problem for the psu. I have the GTX 580 on the same psu and it pulls "only" 310W from the wall. so arround 280W real time :D
 
Thanks leifeinar. Did you have to give up your optical drive to fit the 580 in? I am almost certain the card (9. 6") will fit going by previous pictures of other cards that I have seen, but I can't confirm if they had to give up the optical device for it.
 
leifeinar; you don't think my card will fit without modding? I remember seeing a picture in the SG05 thread that showed more space. I was hoping I didn't have to at all. It is 9.6" long and the port is up top. I really hope it fits without modding.
 
That's the one! I hope so leifeinar! I really don't want to mod, because I don't have the tools to do so.
 
hi there

Sorry to piss on your parade but I dont believe the Twin frost III card will fit, I would double check that.

Take a look at this picture although the picture shows 2 msi 6950 twinfrost versions II and III the fan shroud or cover looks identical and it probably is in order to cut costs. and the version II is 270mm long and version III is even longer from the foto, although all the extra length appears just to be just plastic from the shroud.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038069181&postcount=83

I whilst you are at it check the same thread as it deals in the length of graphic cards and the publised dimensions by the manufacturer are not always correct,

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1606897

regards
 
although the picture shows ... 6950 ... the fan shroud or cover looks identical

The 6950 has a much longer PCB and a different housing to the 560 Ti 448. Maybe it looks similar, but look to the left of the housing and you will see the difference. The "Twin Frozr III" impressed/debossed logo is moved to the middle of the card, and the four impressed diagonal lines are moved an inch closer to the left fan. The whole thing is at least 30mm shorter than the 6950.

As written earlier by leifeinar, the official MSI page for this card states 243x115x42 and there's no reason to doubt that. Of all the 560Ti448 cards I could find information about, only the Gigabyte version is too long for an SG05, and that's because its housing has 3 fans.
 
Thanks WiSK. I actually looked through this thoroughly. I am fairly certain it will fit. In addition to the dimensions stated by MSi, the port is on the side. I can't be sure until I return to Korea and build it. My motherboard/cpu/case is there. When I complete it, I'll definitely take pictures to confirm if it does/does not. I found it extremely difficult to find a confirmation of lengths, so hopefully this will help others too! Thanks a lot for your input guys! Much appreciated.
 
Dont waste your money on a K version proc with an h67 board. Get a 2400. Also yes the 450w will be fine for that. I run similar gear and my killawatt has never hit over 320w's playing BF3 or stress testing.
 
OK! I'm at work now, but I'll post them tonight :).

The inside of my case looks like a snake fight! I don't know how to make it tidy... there is just barely any room. I'll have to monitor heat to see how it affects it.

What are safe temperature ranges for CPU/GPU?

And what programs are best to monitor them?
 
Back
Top