• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New SFF AMD vs Intel setup Rate which is better

Vengance_01

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 23, 2001
Messages
7,730
I am going back to SFF for a very basic budget system. I already have Ultra MX6 case with the 600 watt PSU. I am looking to spend no more than 500$, but the lower the better as I still need to spend 150$ to upgrade my thinkpad X30 notebook. Basically I am losing intrest in gamming, so I snagged a X850XT that runs at 600/600 for 65$ and also comes with a Artic Sliencer cooler. I also have a Dell 2007 WFP LCD.

Here is my config for the AMD setup

Ultra MX6 w/ 600 watt PSU
Retail 4400 Brisbane
Biostar Trforce 7025
2GB kit Corsair PC5400 4/4/4/9 1.9 volts
320GB Seagate SATA II Perp Drive
X850XT 256MB PCI-E

Here is my Intel config

Ultra MX6 W/600 Watt PSU
Retail 6320 Core 2 Duo
Gigabyte G33 DSR2
2GB kit Corsair PC5400 4/4/4/9 1.9 volts
320GB Seagate SATA II Perp Drive
X850XT 256MB PCI-E

The Intel setup is quite a bit more. ATM the Intel rig would cost around 530$ VS 360-380$ for the AMD rig. I am leaning to go with AMD setup as a X2 Brisbane is good for desktop applications, and I can always give it a mild O/C.to give it a nice boost to 2.6-2.8GHZ. As far as my gaming, I am looking to play HL2 EP 2, TF2, and portals, Starcraft 2, and WoW. Thus I think the AMD should be fine with the X850XT. Also I can drop in a Quad core when AMD launches the cheaper desktops chips.
 
Buy AM2 and better GPU. It is better choice. Consider Biostar TA690G.
 
With the latest price cuts you should be able get a 6000+ for ~ $180ish... And for HT rig AM2 has the better boards.
 
Well unless you got DDR2-800, the Intel setup wouldn't be much for OCing. (Unless they changed the divider issue on the board, haven't been keeping up with it myself)

I'd go with saving the $150 and upgrading your graphics card with the $ saved when the next gen of cards comes out. C2D is fast, but so is AM2. For gaming the performance difference should be barely there.

And I'll agree with the 6000+ for $170 at newegg right now. That's e6600 performance for about the price of an e6300. You can't go wrong with that.
 
Back
Top